What is the real word on biking in the rain?

Discussion in 'Commuting and Road Safety' started by ptlwp, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Adam-from-SLO

Adam-from-SLO New Member

Usually when it initially rains here, you can smell the sulfur/ crap in the air coming down to the surface of the earth- entering into the soil :confused: . After about 8+ hours after its rained it smells nice and fresh outside.:)

2. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Here when it rains, we smell the creosote bushes in the desert around us. It's an interesting and pleasant smell. A while after the rain is done, I sometimes smell the decay of the bodies I have buried in the backyard.

3. decca234uk

decca234uk New Member

I live in England so I get caught in the rain quiet a lot. I always carry a good pair of waterproof leggings with me. I remember once being caught in the rain when I didn't have my leggings. My thighs were soaked within minutes making it difficult to peddle and the cold started to make me feel lethargic. As long as you keep dry inside, cycling in the rain is no problem. I wouldn't choose to do it but if I get caught in a shower it doesn't bother me.
    Personally I prefer a pair of short, tee-shirt and the sun on my back, but we have to take the rough with the smooth as cyclists.

4. joelmgarton

joelmgarton New Member

I live in the tropics so rain is really an issue in summer. God bless those monsoon troughs. The biggest issue for me is my eyes. Wearing glasse is a real nightmare for visabilty but having my eyes washed almost out of my head is no fun either. I really replied more to thank you for Sir Edmond Blakes words. Sometimes I need a kick up the **** to get out and do more for my world.

5. whuppingboy

whuppingboy New Member

I live in Nottingham England.
    I feel sorry for the guy who posted earlier who lives in Leeds..!
    Every time i have visited Leeds it rains...
    I have cycled in the rain quite a lot, mountain biking and road.
    Its worse when you are in work looking out the window and see the rain coming down, knowing you havr to brave that and when you finally venture out the first wet bit is horrible.
    Once wet to the skin though you can't get any wetter and so i up the cadence and keep warm..
    The worst is riding in sleet, the thighs, arms and face get frozen and downhills are trecherous and the windchill factor does nothing for your manhood as well..!!
    And YES...the shower at the end of the ride is awesome.

6. serra

serra New Member

:eek: Bodies? I'm hoping family pets....

I actually chickened out last winter on rainy days. I know, I'm ashamed. This winter I plan on getting a "winter" bike, I don't want anything too horrible to happen to my precious. I did get stuck in a horrible rain storm once. Rain/wind proof jacket = must have, at least for me. My shorts were soaked, but at least my core stayed dry and warm.

7. alienator

I'm a one bike guy, so mine goes out, no matter the conditions. Here, in Tucson, getting caught in a monsoonal downpour can be like a holiday, what with the tendency toward stupid-hot temps around here. I don't take a rain jacket or a windproof in summertime. Winter, yes.

8. serra

serra New Member

What do you do to keep your bike in one piece? I've heard horror stories about water and salt eating bikes and ruining bearings. Is there an increase in need for maintanence? I would like to not have to get another bike, if it is possible to use a bike through many winters in good condition.

9. alienator

Well, the only salt my bike really sees is the salt in the sweat that drips off me body during the monsoon, when the humidity is high. As for water....it's just water. I keep the chain lubed and periodically check bearings. I dry the bike after a ride in the rain, but frankly drying is mostly taken care of by bouncing the bike once or twice.

10. serra

serra New Member

Hm, I suppose I'll have a go at it then. :p

11. davereo

davereo Well-Known Member

I live in New England and ride year round. Besides all the gear recomendations everyone is offering I would suggest that you use extra caution when riding in the rain. Motorist are even less likely to notice you during inclement weather. Also take it easy going around corners anti freeze and oil tend to come to the roadway surface during rain storms and creates very slick conditions.