What is the right age to start cycling?

Discussion in 'Next Generation' started by EricHarris, Oct 4, 2011.

1. EricHarris

EricHarris New Member

Hi

I am 16 years old and i have always had a keen interest in cycling. I have decided that i want to start cycling but im not sure if my age is the right age to start and if so, what can i do to grow as a cyclist as i am still a school student.

Please, every reply will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Tags:
    haleylx4 and CypemernAppef like this.

2. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Any age at which you want to start cycling is the perfect age to start cycling. 16 years is certainly an age that fits within that set. Please note that prenatal ages and postmortem ages are not well suited to cycling.

3. Myosmith

Myosmith Member

As far as I'm concerned, the best time to start cycling is as soon as baby can straddle a pre-rider and not immediately tip over sideways.

Certainly there are many accomplished teenage cyclists including many younger than you.

You didn't mention you current level of riding or what kind(s) of riding you are interested in, so I'm going to assume you are a beginner. The best thing you can do to grow as a cyclist is to get out and ride. Ride for fitness, Ride for skills training, Ride for pleasure, Ride because its Tuesday, but get on a bike and ride. You don't have to start with a full set of riding apparel (though I recommend a good helmet) and a $3,000 Ultegra equipped carbon fiber bike. For a while I rode a 1990s vintage Schwinn Caliente that I literally pulled of a scrap metal heap and fixed up for about $50. I sometimes regret selling that bike as it was very comfortable and a lot of fun to ride, though heavy by today's standards.

Work on general health, diet and fitness as well as riding skills. Learn everything you can about your sport and have fun.

4. cristinajohn

cristinajohn New Member

Age doesn't matter if you want to start cycling. If you are capable for cycling and your body is comfortable with the cycling than there is no problem with it. But you must have to take care of your health. If your body is not string and just for your interest you are starting cycling than its not good.

5. GoldenTers

GoldenTers New Member

16 is right.
    /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif/img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif/img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif
    Hi new here.

6. Dijkema

Dijkema New Member

Well, 16 is a bit cutting it if you want to become professional. Mind you have people who have been riding since they were 10. I am 14 years old and already have around 17000 miles in my legs!

7. Eminenz CW

Eminenz CW New Member

There's no dilemma, get out and ride, take out a racing license or join your collegiate team and race.

You're certainly not too old and younger than many when they first take up racing.

8. alexemil5

alexemil5 New Member

yeah, I was get training in 14 years... But 15 or 16 year is enough good to start actual Cycling...

9. alexemil5

alexemil5 New Member

10. danfoz

danfoz Well-Known Member

Good job! You are a monster! I am 45 and probably only have 25,000 or so. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

11. Rishabh Sachan

Rishabh Sachan New Member

i am 15 than i start cycling and there is no age for cycling

12. philk1

philk1 New Member

yeah 14 is right for cycling.

13. sammyjay

sammyjay New Member

In my opinion, as soon as you know how to ride a bike is OK as long as you do it safely. I'm 15 and I want to start riding more seriously this year.

Nathan

14. danfoz

danfoz Well-Known Member

You are right, there is no correct age to start having fun on a bike. I entered my first race when I was about your age.

15. Bruce Hammerson

Bruce Hammerson New Member

16 years of age for cycling is too late.
    I learned to cycle when I was 8 and I learned it in just three days.
    I fell many times from the cycle but it hadn't stopped me. I'm very passionate about it. However, my interest was not in hydraulic engineering, I was born to do cycle racing. Alas, who saw the future! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/hissyfit.gif

______________________________________________________________________________________
    WorldQuip LLC -> Hydraulic Installation Kits

16. ambal

ambal Active Member

I started bike riding at about 4 years old.

17. joroshiba

joroshiba New Member

Eric,

As others have said start whenever you can! I started really riding (meaning more than 12 miles a week) when I was 15. I wish I had started earlier, and wish I had started really training for racing before I turned 19.

If you want to ride, ride. Find a way to make it happen. Race if you want to, if you desire to make cycling a career now is the time to find someone to help you along that pathway. Above all though, ride your bike.

18. phiferindia

phiferindia New Member

From at the age of 5 using KID CYCLING i suppose. Yeah from 5th age start to make practising to cycle. So that it will be burden less when they grew up. They will drive efficiently with lots of experience on it in future.

19. ElvinTom

ElvinTom New Member

16 is definitely a bit too high to start and expect to reach the professional circle but you can definitely give it a ago and hopefully you will be able to compete at the national level in 3-4 years time. The best age to start any sport would be around 5-6 and with cycling it is similar.

20. devanandres

devanandres New Member

Hi,

This is devan, from london
    I think there is no age limit to cycling.
    specially good to men health.