What is the smallest Uniglide cassette thread-on sprocket?

meb

New Member
Aug 21, 2003
1,219
What is the smallest toothcount Uniglide cassette thread-on sprocket made?
I have a 13-26 cassette so they at least went down to 13T.
Since smaller sprockets tend to wear first and the threadons cannot use modified Hyperglide substitutes, are the threadon UG sprockets starting to get sparse?

Thanks.

"meb" <[email protected]> wrote:

> What is the smallest toothcount Uniglide cassette
> thread-on sprocket made?

11t for Dura Ace, 12t for everything else.

> Since smaller sprockets tend to wear first and the threadons
> cannot use modified Hyperglide substitutes, are the threadon
> UG sprockets starting to get sparse?

Yes.

James Thomson

James Thomson said:
"meb" <[email protected]> wrote:

> What is the smallest toothcount Uniglide cassette
> thread-on sprocket made?

11t for Dura Ace, 12t for everything else.

> Since smaller sprockets tend to wear first and the threadons
> cannot use modified Hyperglide substitutes, are the threadon
> UG sprockets starting to get sparse?

Yes.

James Thomson

Have always been told the DA UG 6 was not interchangeable with the other UG 6 cassettes. Anyone know what the issue is- i.e. spacing, threads, hub diameter, etc.?

Seems if it is spacing there must be some other combo of spacers that would adapt the models even if it meant throwing out one cog somewhere.

FWIW my sole UG 6 cassette is Exage 300.

meb wrote:

> Have always been told the DA UG 6 was not interchangeable with the
> other UG 6 cassettes. Anyone know what the issue is- i.e. spacing,
> threads, hub diameter, etc.?

The Dura-Ace hub is stepped down to allow a threaded 11-tooth sprocket.
All other hubs use a larger threaded section, and thus Dura-Ace
Uniglide sprockets are unique and non-interchangeable.

Jeff

meb wrote:
> Have always been told the DA UG 6 was not interchangeable with the
> other UG 6 cassettes. Anyone know what the issue is- i.e. spacing,
> threads, hub diameter, etc.?
> Seems if it is spacing there must be some other combo of spacers that
> would adapt the models even if it meant throwing out one cog
> somewhere.
> FWIW my sole UG 6 cassette is Exage 300.

Mr Thomson's right.
Early DA cassette bodies (Dura Ace EX-5 #7250, DuraAce EX-6
#7260, DuraAce AX-6 #7360 and DuraAce AX-7 #7370) all had a
32mm start thread, for 11t &up.

Shimano's 600 AX-6 #6361, New 600EX-6 #6207, the classic UG
DeoreXT #M730 six speed all start with a 34.6mm thread for
12t &up only.

The later New Dura Ace #7400-6 and #7400-7 lists (pages
HB5.8, HB5.9) the cassette body as having the smaller 32mm
start thread on the cassette bodies, but Shimano supplied
high gear cogs in sizes 12 & up, no 11t.

I don't have a body to measure. Anyone with a New Dura Ace
Six or Seven CS body? It seems to me that if it's 32mm, one
should be able to work out some spacing for an early 11t cog
on those bodies.

There's no physical way to put 11t on your 34mm Exage A300
cassette body. The root tooth diameter of an 11t cog is
34mm, leaving no room for a thread at all!

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

#7260, DuraAce AX-6 #7360 and DuraAce AX-7 #7370) all had a
32mm start thread, for 11t &up.

[...]

With the scarcity of threadon Uniglide cassettes particularly 12’s, was considering placing an old reversed direction-spline ground-Hypeglide 12 inside with a Uniglide 13 threadon outside to hold in place.

Would seem as if I adjusted the rder to accommodate the 13T on the end, I’d have sloppy shifting onto the 12T, but would seem to clear and shift onto the sprocket, but thought I'd see if anyone knows about anything I've overlooked, so:

1) Can I shift onto the 12T with the larger 13T outside?
2) Can I shift onto the 13T threadon in such a cog arrangement?