Cycling Training · Public discussion

What is the Training Value of Lab Testing?

Started by RapDaddyo · · Last activity · 2 posts · 1,172 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Training
Published
10 August 2005
Last activity
10 August 2005
Original author
RapDaddyo
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,172
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. As I approach the end of month 5 of a 12-month plan to begin racing again, I feel like I will soon be fit enough to get serious with my training. To date, my training plan has been pretty casual: 14-20 hrs/wk on the bike, mostly at 75%MHR with a mix of L4, L5 & L6 (AC schema) intervals 2x/wk after the first 2 months. As I prepare for the next, more complex, more challenging phase, I am considering all the resources currently or potentially at my disposal to maximize the results of my efforts. The two resources I have not used to date but which are available to me are: (1) a coach via PM file review and dialogue; and (2) lab testing. There are a few labs within relatively easy access (e.g., San Diego) that can do VO2MAX and LT testing, etc. Actually, there may be a lab at UNLV, which would be even better. There is a cost (~$200/test), so it's not free (to me). As with any economic decision, it comes down to cost/benefit. I would envision getting tested maybe three times (Sept, Dec, Mar). I see this as a decision indepedent of hiring a coach, although obviously a coach could probably help me interpret and exploit the test data better than I could do by myself. My questions are: Would lab test data enable me (with or w/o a coach) to design more effective training plans to, say, target different adaptations? Would lab test data on my own individual lactate recovery rates from different intensities >LT enable me to be more precise in estimating my recovery requirements from pushes >LT in TTs? Would lab test data provide any other benefits I haven't thought of?

  2. I'm sure UNLV can do it. If not you can try the University of Utah. Only 6 hours by car or 60 mins on Southwest. The test's aren't really that expensive. I'm not sure if they do Lactate threshold or not...

    uuhsc.utah.edutesting.html

    L

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.