What is the truth behind bike weight? Does it really help THAT much?

sogood said:
Problem with light and stiff bikes is that the feel disappears quickly as you get used to it. Then it's that old slog up the hill. You need to have a heavier and mushier training bike to remind you the difference.
I think you hit it on the head. By the way, all you guys waxing poetic about how much faster the new bike is, try this--repack the dirty bearings, and replace stretched chains, worn chainrings, worn cassette cogs, and tires. Then tell us how your old bike is still slow.

ScienceIsCool said:
Since aerodynamics is the biggest component of drag, I'd say the variation in riding positions between the bikes is what's causing the difference in top speeds.

John Swanson
www.bikephysics.com

All of my top speed sprint positions I think were on the hoods, because I don't like doing high speed sprints in the drops or on top.

The top speeds were achieved in different years also, so I had different form. 32.9 mph was achieved the year I kept trying for my highest sprint speed. 31.1 - was working on high avg speed.

29.8 mph is pretty good for a heavy unaerodynamic 2005 Giant OCR 1 with 2 Jandd Commuter panniers [~29 lbs].

JTE83 said:
All of my top speed sprint positions I think were on the hoods, because I don't like doing high speed sprints in the drops or on top.

The top speeds were achieved in different years also, so I had different form. 32.9 mph was achieved the year I kept trying for my highest sprint speed. 31.1 - was working on high avg speed.

29.8 mph is pretty good for a heavy unaerodynamic 2005 Giant OCR 1 with 2 Jandd Commuter panniers [~29 lbs].
Holy ****! This data's derivation is even more complicated than I first thought. :eek:

JTE83 said:
Top Speed in the flats no wind sprint & weight of bike -
2004 Cervelo Soloist Team 32.9 mph 17.4 lbs
2005 Kestrel Talon 31.1 mph 18.6 ? lbs
2002 Giant TCR Aero 2 30.2 mph 18.6 lbs
2005 Giant OCR 1 with 2 Jandd Commuter Panniers 29.8 mph 29? lbs
I propose a more scientific study--10 mile time trial on a rolling course, out and back, three times on each bike, one ride a day, with identical tires, shoes, and pedals, identical warm-up, and no panniers on the OCR.

sogood said:
The original poster's question is on the effect of 9lb (4kg) or 36% bike weight reduction on, amongst all things, climbing. Not 200g.
What I meant to say was if I'd be able to tell the difference between a 16 a 17 lb bike. The bike I want to get would be 18 lbs, a 7 lb drop. But thanks for all the info. You guys haven't factored in the boost from just feeling fast, that placebo effect. After riding a steel rig for my 1st 3 years cycling, a flashy new paint job, sti shifters (yes that's right i dont have them), and my wheels clicking when i pedal will be enough for me to feel stronger for some time.

The main difference I notice between my aluminum and carbon bikes are stiffness (and of course components). When getting above 100 rpm on my alumium bike, it starts to really flexy, but my carbon bike doesn't feel flexy at all. I think the biggest advantage to weighing less is accelerations and of course climbing.

Travis44 said:
What I meant to say was if I'd be able to tell the difference between a 16 a 17 lb bike.
You may, but invariably they are different frames and you won't be sure if it's the weight difference or stiffness or other ride characteristics that's playing up for you. But it is true that every bike is different, although often subtle.

Travis44 said:
What I meant to say was if I'd be able to tell the difference between a 16 a 17 lb bike. The bike I want to get would be 18 lbs, a 7 lb drop. But thanks for all the info. You guys haven't factored in the boost from just feeling fast, that placebo effect. After riding a steel rig for my 1st 3 years cycling, a flashy new paint job, sti shifters (yes that's right i dont have them), and my wheels clicking when i pedal will be enough for me to feel stronger for some time.
Yes, but the placebo effect will not last forever. The first few times you ride your bike, sure, you may go faster because of the joy of having a new toy that seems light. But what happens after you get used to the bike? The biggest factor in your ride is the engine and the aerodynamics, and a lighter bike by itself (other factors remaining the same) is not gonna gain you that much.

TheDarkLord said:
Yes, but the placebo effect will not last forever. The first few times you ride your bike, sure, you may go faster because of the joy of having a new toy that seems light. But what happens after you get used to the bike? The biggest factor in your ride is the engine and the aerodynamics, and a lighter bike by itself (other factors remaining the same) is not gonna gain you that much.
The placebo effect is known as "New Bike Syndrome" around here. The duration seems to be up to one month for every $1K spent on the new bike, particularly if they are exotic italian brands or custom frames.

dhk2 said:
The placebo effect is known as "New Bike Syndrome" around here. The duration seems to be up to one month for every $1K spent on the new bike, particularly if they are exotic italian brands or custom frames.
Thats not good, I have only got a week left, must get out quick before it becomes hard again :D

dhk2 said:
There was a heated discussion on another forum where a owner claimed that his new Cervelo is 3.4km/h (initially said 4km/h) faster than his previously well maintained road bike. So it does not have to be Italian. Canadian will do too! ;)

sogood said:
There was a heated discussion on another forum where a owner claimed that his new Cervelo is 3.4km/h (initially said 4km/h) faster than his previously well maintained road bike. So it does not have to be Italian. Canadian will do too! ;)
This sort of thing (claimed speed gains) has always just made me chuckle. The example above is at the high end of the spectrum, but we regularly see claims of "1" or "2" mph speed increases by getting a 2 lb lighter bike and/or shedding a quarter pound on wheels. 2 mph is a huge difference and there is no way, in a controlled study (is this possible) that such small differences would do that. Might it make a difference in beating a competitor? Certainly, and if it gives you that few seconds over an hour ride that gets you on the podium, there is no doubt it is worth it (if you can afford it). But to hear a serious recreationalist claim that going from good wheels to really good wheels makes a significant, measurable difference just indicates that people really don't know the difference between good and poor data. Note I'm not saying they're changing from crappy wheels to excellent wheels; I'm talking about the normal sort of "upgrade" we all do when we can afford it: going from a 1800 gm $250 wheelset to a 1500 gm $600 wheelset.

Now, I went from a 25 lb, low grade steel bike from the 90s that didn't fit me well to a 19 lb, fairly recent Ultegra/Dura Ace grade Cannondale from a few years ago with similar change in wheels. But the new bike fits much better as well, and is so much fun to ride that I rode 10X more last summer than I had for many years. I ride 2 mph faster than the previous summer! Must be because of the weight of the bike and wheels, no! :)

I think part of it is also a mental justification to prevent buyers' remorse. After all, if a person sank a grand or whatever into new equipment, an illusion of faster speed with the new toy will also help justify that expenditure.

Within that thread, the bike in question was a Cervelo Team Soloist. So the arguments were primarily with aero benefits. Hilarious.

whoa, harsh crowd on here. Seems like a few of you are quick to dicredit the benefits of a lighter bike. First of all it's hard to argue against the stats and science that justifies a nearly zero increase in speed given a substanstial wieght decrease, say 5 pounds give or take a couple. So I will agree there to a point. That being said I believe the benefits are a bit more than just a placebo effect. In fact it may be fair to look at the bigger picture. For most consumers when upgrading to lighter wieght there's also the upgrade of better groupo/components.I do believe the shifting does tend to get a bit more slicker at the high end for example. Not to mention the thought toward designing for added stiffness and areo.

If you really like bicycling enough to spend time on a forum or wear skin tight clothing then I believe it's perfectly okay to spend some dough on a nicer, racier ride. Perhaps it won't make you faster then again you may use less power to get up that same hill. Or you may find yourself having a easier time keeping up with your friends. Personally I'm looking forward to my new carbon Cervelo. It's going to be 7 pounds lighter than my Raliegh and an upgrade in everyway, that in it self may be the best part. Plus I think its awesome that one can actually buy the same bike that won Paris Rubaix. I suppose folks on here can be negative as far as freedom of speech goes but I can't help to think that your all just jealous because you just too cheap, eskewed by logical reasoning to treat yourself to that so called placebo effect. To all you that think wieght doesn't matter, good luck riding whatever it is you ride and more importantly maintaining that excitement riding brings you. Fear not for if remember you on the day you decide to step up you game with a lighter bike I won't be the type of poster to rub in a double standard. :p

gemship said:
whoa, harsh crowd on here. Seems like a few of you are quick to dicredit the benefits of a lighter bike. First of all it's hard to argue against the stats and science that justifies a nearly zero increase in speed given a substanstial wieght decrease, say 5 pounds give or take a couple. So I will agree there to a point. That being said I believe the benefits are a bit more than just a placebo effect. In fact it may be fair to look at the bigger picture. For most consumers when upgrading to lighter wieght there's also the upgrade of better groupo/components.I do believe the shifting does tend to get a bit more slicker at the high end for example. Not to mention the thought toward designing for added stiffness and areo.

If you really like bicycling enough to spend time on a forum or wear skin tight clothing then I believe it's perfectly okay to spend some dough on a nicer, racier ride. Perhaps it won't make you faster then again you may use less power to get up that same hill. Or you may find yourself having a easier time keeping up with your friends. Personally I'm looking forward to my new carbon Cervelo. It's going to be 7 pounds lighter than my Raliegh and an upgrade in everyway, that in it self may be the best part. Plus I think its awesome that one can actually buy the same bike that won Paris Rubaix. I suppose folks on here can be negative as far as freedom of speech goes but I can't help to think that your all just jealous because you just too cheap, eskewed by logical reasoning to treat yourself to that so called placebo effect. To all you that think wieght doesn't matter, good luck riding whatever it is you ride and more importantly maintaining that excitement riding brings you. Fear not for if remember you on the day you decide to step up you game with a lighter bike I won't be the type of poster to rub in a double standard. :p
Negative with regards to freedom of speech??? Where did you get that idea from? This forum has almost no moderation, and thus has the maximum freedom of speech.

The point here is that you are quite welcome to get a bike that you think is nice. But then, if you come here and then claim that the use of the new bike suddenly increased your speed by x km/hr just because of the reduced weight, then expect other people to call your bluff. :p Also, I have no idea how better shifting by itself is going to have any impact on the average speed - unless the original equipment was so bad that you spent 10-15 seconds fiddling with shifting every time you wanted to shift up or down.

gemship said:
...Plus I think its awesome that one can actually buy the same bike that won Paris Rubaix...
Actually, it was the engine and the team that won Paris-Roubaix. :p

gemship said:
I do believe the shifting does tend to get a bit more slicker at the high end for example. Not to mention the thought toward designing for added stiffness and areo.
I find that my DA components shift no better than 105 if I let them get dirty so keep your new bike clean.:)

gemship said:
Personally I'm looking forward to my new carbon Cervelo. It's going to be 7 pounds lighter than my Raliegh and an upgrade in everyway, that in it self may be the best part. Plus I think its awesome that one can actually buy the same bike that won Paris Rubaix. I suppose folks on here can be negative as far as freedom of speech goes but I can't help to think that your all just jealous because you just too cheap, eskewed by logical reasoning to treat yourself to that so called placebo effect. To all you that think wieght doesn't matter, good luck riding whatever it is you ride and more importantly maintaining that excitement riding brings you.
I think it is great that the average joe / josephine can buy the same bikes on the pro tours. I have passed some of those bikes on the way back to the parking lot, but it is still nice to see that they are available for purchase. :)

(Just kidding with you)

sogood said:
Actually, it was the engine and the team that won Paris-Roubaix. :p

Dam good riders, great team on a top bike. Ahh the prestige behind it, makes me so excited to take stock in my new r3sl. So what if it was the riders the bike is awesome. Just out of curiosity what do you ride?

gemship said:

Believe you're confusing negativity with realism, and missing the fact that many of us who are responding are already riding lightweight, mid-to-high end equipment.

A 7 lb lighter bike is certainly going to make you faster on steep climbs, since speed at a given watt output is almost proportional to total weight for low-speed climbing. Saving say 20 seconds on a steep 10 minute climb is significant to many of us, although the reasons many vary. Expect to see a speed increase of 0.2 mph on your computer, not 2-3 mph, and you won't be disappointed.