What is the weirdest bike you ever saw...

Chotch

Aug 12, 2003
So I have this frame that has a front fork as seat stays. It is a little italian frame not a chopper of any kind.
What I figure is that there are some really weird and fun frames and bikes out there and want to hear about the fantasy bike gear that people ride or have seen.
Josh.

My winter commuter-

A Bianchi San Remo steel road bike (ca. ~198X?) from the thrift store (US$30) built up w/ the following:

RSX RD
old (~20 yrs.) Shimano FD, downtube shifters, rear brake and brake levers
STX front cantilever brake
XT headset
chromo cyclocross-style fork
105 Crankset
Mavic MA-40 rear wheel w/ Conti Twister (700x35)
Unknown front wheel w/ WTB Allterrainasaurus (700x40)
Celeste bar tape (true to brand)
Nashbar seatpost; Vetta saddle

It's a hodge-podge of components I had laying around, but it works well, and it's fun on and off road.

Remember the Slingshot bikes from a few years back that had simply the cable as the downtube? Those were freaking weird.

Originally posted by funknuggets
Remember the Slingshot bikes from a few years back that had simply the cable as the downtube? Those were freaking weird.

Agreed, I borrowed a friend's for a weekend once and it was actually a really nice ride exept comming to the base of a sloped rock face my front wheel hit the ground fairly gently but I went into an endo that I could do nothing about. I tried it again and realised that it had to do with the way the frame flexed and would literally fling me off. Sort of like, well, a slingshot.
Josh.

Somone posted information about this bamboo bike on a previous thread; we had started out talking about Craig Calfee's custom bamboo race bikes, but this thing is amazing. It's even got a bamboo drivetrain, chain included. They're built by a economically/ecologically-minded doctor in India; he's apparently built bamboo bicycle pumps as well (though it looks like he's using a bamboo camera too).

Check out the link.

Originally posted by Chotch
So I have this frame that has a front fork as seat stays. It is a little italian frame not a chopper of any kind.
What I figure is that there are some really weird and fun frames and bikes out there and want to hear about the fantasy bike gear that people ride or have seen.
Josh.

I recently saw a bike that was composed of two mountain bike frames welded together, one on top of the other. I forget the how it was geared and how he steared it, but it was a sight to see the guy riding it. He was probably six feet above the ground.

Originally posted by jpaul
I recently saw a bike that was composed of two mountain bike frames welded together, one on top of the other. I forget the how it was geared and how he steared it, but it was a sight to see the guy riding it. He was probably six feet above the ground.

We have a club in Mpls. MN that build these bikes. I see them on occation when I'm down around the University on MN (West Bank) campus.

Just saw this on another forum and I can't figure out how the front wheel possibly works. Perhaps like a large bearing?

It works exactly like a huge bearing, it's almost impossible to find info on that thing though, I did it once before but can't for the life of me remember the search string I used. I do remember that it was outlawed for use in Time Trials and other races due to the aerodynamic advantage.

now that would get tiring fast. and i bet you can't go up or down a hill (G) going down would buck you right off (G) You would have to push start it too i bet.

Originally posted by Otto
Watch this video, and you'll really see a weird bike
The Hula Bike!
http://www.bikeforest.com/hula.wmv

Does that video ever bring back memories... About 30 years ago my friends older brother built a bike with both front and rear wheels like the one in the video's rear. (You pedaled this one). It didn't ride very well! When he did ride it, he replaced either the front or the rear with a regular wheel to smooth out the ride. He even named it, 'The Sod Buster!' :D

I saw a Cannondale that looks alot like the Specialized above, except that it had 4 rollerblade wheels in front instead of a normal big wheel.