What is the weirdest item you ever seen attached on a bike frame?

Azulene

Dec 4, 2003
Yesterday after work I stopped at my local grocery store. Out in front of the store was a Huffy Mountain Bike, attached to the frame was a 5lb. Fire extinguisher.
I know the jokes are forming in you mind. This dude must be the world fastest sprinter burning up all his competition. He uses the fire extinguisher to put out his tail fires as he passes them.
“O” God don’t you wish you were that fast. Hey Hey Hey !!!! :eek:

Fight the war on terror. Ride your back to work and let the oil company drown in their fossil fuel’s.

i've got a furry mini bike, if that counts....

Azulene said:
Yesterday after work I stopped at my local grocery store. Out in front of the store was a Huffy Mountain Bike, attached to the frame was a 5lb. Fire extinguisher.
I know the jokes are forming in you mind. This dude must be the world fastest sprinter burning up all his competition. He uses the fire extinguisher to put out his tail fires as he passes them.
“O” God don’t you wish you were that fast. Hey Hey Hey !!!! :eek:

Fight the war on terror. Ride your back to work and let the oil company drown in their fossil fuel’s.

i rode with a guy a couple months ago who had just finished an austin tx to somewhere in canada or alaska (long freakin ride). He had a knife and sheeth attached to his seatpost:eek:

Shuttle gets my vote,

first Wind trainer
then, mag trainer,
now, water trainer.. :rolleyes:

Recently we had a "bring out your dead" in my suburb and i watched one old guy remove and transport several blocks 3 full sized doors with his bike, he rested and balanced them on his pedal and tucked them inside the drops. One at a time of course..

An AK47!

Recently traveling in Sra Lanka when along comes the local poiceman on a 1950's bike, black and chrome with lever brakes. Strapped to the top tube was a very smart looking AK47 machine gun. Apart from that a very standard sit up and beg bike as left behind by the british.

:eek:

Telegram Sam said:

There is a guy here in town that rides a bike equipped with one of these. He owns five or six vintage cars but rarely drives them. Bike commutes about 360 out of 365 days per year and claims he can carry about anything with the contraption. This is lunacy as we often have a stretch of three and four weeks around January when it never gets above 20ºF (-7ºC).

A GF and I have ridden rail trails and back roads around Yellowstone and the Tetons with big cans of bear spray and a bear bells (ineffective but I won't argue with her about anything this trivial) attached to our bikes.

Back when I used to work in a bike shop we saw all sorts of oddballs come in. However, none was odder than Fish Tank Man. Of course, there is a story behind how he got the appelation of Fish Tank Man, and this is how it goes.

We were seeing through a fairly uneventful weekday afternoon in the shop when one of the strangest contraptions ever pulled up outside the glass front doors. The bike itself was fairly standard, a cheap, low-end MTB; but atop the rear rack was a big fishbowl. Into this fishbowl were inserted two electrodes, attached to wires running down to a generator of the type more commonly used for powering a light. The strangest was yet to come though, the bowl was covered by a plastic lid which had a tube running to the riders mouth by means of a face mask.

We were understandably quite astonished by this bizarre contraption, and had to ask the good man what all this was in aid of. He kindly explained the physics behind his set-up, the current passing through the water would apparently free the oxygen of its bond with the hydrogen, and then be funneled by means of the tube and mask to provide an extra boost of oxygen which would clearly provide greatly improved capacity for stamina. Well, obviously his logic was impeccable, and we didn't dare point out that perhaps he'd just be better off without the 20 litres of water on the back of his bike, and from that day on Fish Tank Man always received a warm welcome in our shop.

So that is undoubtedly the weirdest thing I've ever seen attached to a bike.

Sam

sssamcz said:
Back when I used to work in a bike shop we saw all sorts of oddballs come in. However, none was odder than Fish Tank Man. Of course, there is a story behind how he got the appelation of Fish Tank Man, and this is how it goes.

We were seeing through a fairly uneventful weekday afternoon in the shop when one of the strangest contraptions ever pulled up outside the glass front doors. The bike itself was fairly standard, a cheap, low-end MTB; but atop the rear rack was a big fishbowl. Into this fishbowl were inserted two electrodes, attached to wires running down to a generator of the type more commonly used for powering a light. The strangest was yet to come though, the bowl was covered by a plastic lid which had a tube running to the riders mouth by means of a face mask.

We were understandably quite astonished by this bizarre contraption, and had to ask the good man what all this was in aid of. He kindly explained the physics behind his set-up, the current passing through the water would apparently free the oxygen of its bond with the hydrogen, and then be funneled by means of the tube and mask to provide an extra boost of oxygen which would clearly provide greatly improved capacity for stamina. Well, obviously his logic was impeccable, and we didn't dare point out that perhaps he'd just be better off without the 20 litres of water on the back of his bike, and from that day on Fish Tank Man always received a warm welcome in our shop.

So that is undoubtedly the weirdest thing I've ever seen attached to a bike.

Sam

I THINK WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!

I saw an older gentelman with long white hair and a long white beard riding an older cruizer with wooden planks riged onto the frame...rear trunk and wooden planks devised in the front that hold two rear view mirrors up high like a truck! I managed to take a picture, I will attemt to scan and post in the future!

Wasn't really attached to the bike but when I was in high school I worked at my uncle's auto shop. One of my jobs was to ride my bike to the local parts dealers whenever we needed a part that we didn't have in stock. One day I had to pick up an exhaust pipe (the pipe that runs from the exhaust manifold on the engine back to the muffler) that was about 5 or 6 ft long.

When I got back to the shop, my uncle said, "Don't you know it's illegal to run straight pipes in this state?"

In Cambridge, England there's a tramp-like guy on a bike who does laps of the town centre on his rusty old mountain bike. 4 or 5 days a week, he just cycles around the shopping streets for hours on end. The weirdest thing is, he always has a plastic bag hanging from his right handlebar, with a radio in it, which he continuously fiddles with. Presumably to get good reception... I dunno! He once rode past me 5 times in one day.

So if ever you're in Cambridge and hear grainy heavy metal music approaching, if you want to look like a local, just smile and say, "Oh it's that weird guy again."

I live in asia where people transport everything and anything by bike. My two current favourites are the man who delivers gas cylinders by bike and he regularly carries eight or nine big cylinders, I have also seen a man with his big dog cycling, the dog's back legs were on a wooden platform attached to the crossbar and its front legs were on the handlebars.

A guy with a sulphur crested cockatiel on his handlebars. The bird seemed to love it!

lumpy said:
A guy with a sulphur crested cockatiel on his handlebars. The bird seemed to love it!

Lumpy,

I saw a small woven cane, tubular shaped cage containing three piglets in Cambodia earier this year. I don't suppose its weird, but it was the first time I have ever noticed it. The piglets seem quite relaxed as did the rider.

I started looking out for it and saw it twice more in the time I was there, so it must be reasonabley common.

Kind regards

James Bruce Gil said:
Lumpy,

I saw a small woven cane, tubular shaped cage containing three piglets in Cambodia earier this year. I don't suppose its weird, but it was the first time I have ever noticed it. The piglets seem quite relaxed as did the rider.

I started looking out for it and saw it twice more in the time I was there, so it must be reasonabley common.

Kind regards

C'mon,

There must be more. :D

Kind eregards,

James Bruce Gil said:
C'mon,

There must be more. :D

Kind eregards,

No reports of odd things on the bikes, but several very odd bikes here. There are a few people in Minneapolis (and yes Minneapolis and NOT St. Paul) who seem to delight in making their own "custom" bikes and riding them through city traffic. There is one guy I've seen several times that welded two frames together one on top of the other with a very long fork to the front wheel. Everytime I've seen him I've wondered just what he does at a red light or stop sign in HEAVY traffic he is riding through. Stand on the car next to him? There is another guy who appears to have full use of his legs (or it might be the same guy with another "creation") but has a strange hand powered conversion of an old bike frame. Been awhile since I've seen that one so I can't remember the particulars of how it was constructed.

Gee, I was going to suggest the guy I saw last summer with an MP3/CD player rigged under his saddle with two small computer speakers mounted on the handle-bars and two more on the sissy-bar. He had married the player up to a small, portable amp and it sounded pretty good. The other observations in here beat this though

Coffee mug!

Garage opener!

Catrike Road #116
"Cats just don't feel safe on a moving bicycle, no matter how much duct tape you use"--Author unknown

I saw a guy riding a local single track with a big clear plexy glass windshield from a motorcycle strapped to his mtb with all sorts of crazy metal straps used to hold up a water heater.. He screwed the straps TO HIS FRAME with sheet metal screws. Course he was wearing a full winter jacket and goggles in the middle of summer.

We have lots of homeless people living in the area, they regularly have odd stuff.
another guy has covered his bike in brown clay and has sticks poking out of it, my assumption is this is some sort of camoflauge

Ill see if I can find some of these guys next time im out for a ride with my camera..