What is the worst thing about Winter

Lee

Guest
As we approach the cold nasty days of Winter I wondered what you guys found to be the worst part of
winter cycling?

Or maybe you enjoy it more so than summer (weido's!)

Lee

In news:[email protected], Lee
<gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverymuch.btinternet.com> expounded sagaciously:
> As we approach the cold nasty days of Winter I wondered what you guys found to be the worst part
> of winter cycling?
>
> Or maybe you enjoy it more so than summer (weido's!)
>
> Lee

The worst thing about winter is black ice at the top of a hill near Kinoulton 4 years ago, 3 of us
cyclists sliding down on our sides, followed by a drifting, skidding car, and not knowing whether
the car would stop before we did. It did. We stood up, and couldn't walk on the road, the ice was
so slippy. The fourth member of the group, however, got down the hill without incident, but he
couldn't walk back up it to see where we'd got to.
--

Martin Bulmer

Pie Conservation Threat

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 09:20:26 +0100, Lee wrote:
> As we approach the cold nasty days of Winter I wondered what you guys found to be the worst part
> of winter cycling?

Ooh, tough one. Let me think, errr, the cold? Or maybe the nasty!

(sorry, I just hate the winter if not enhanced by sunny snow covered mountains and babes on skis).

Lee wrote:
> As we approach the cold nasty days of Winter I wondered what you guys found to be the worst part
> of winter cycling?

The need to continually clean the transmission once the grit starts going down, or have a chain that
doesn't go around bends any more. (Hmmmmm, let's look at that shaft drive thread and V-V review
again... ;-)).

The cold and dark I can do, even when it's wet too, but knowing riding my bike is doing it active
harm is a bit of a bore :-( If there's snow everywhere, that's a *good* thing, as I can get about on
the XC skis!

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

In article <[email protected]>, Lee <gnippernospampleasem
[email protected]> writes
>As we approach the cold nasty days of Winter I wondered what you guys found to be the worst part of
>winter cycling?

The layer of mud-and-cabbage soup that builds up on the roads in this part of the world - it's
nearly as bad as ice.

--
Roger Barker [email protected] Boston, UK

> (sorry, I just hate the winter if not enhanced by sunny snow covered mountains and babes on skis).

Seconded!

"Lee" <gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverymuch.btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> As we approach the cold nasty days of Winter I wondered what you guys
found
> to be the worst part of winter cycling?

Having to think about it months before it happens on a bright and sparkly late summer's day because
someone is depressed enough by his foresight to post such questions :~)

Slipping on ice, falling and cracking ribs :~(

"Martin Bulmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In news:[email protected], We stood up, and couldn't walk on the road, the ice was
> so slippy. The fourth member of the group, however, got down the hill without incident,
but
> he couldn't walk back up it to see where we'd got to.
> --

So what was his secret? How did he manage that?

Rich

"Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Lee"
<gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverymuch.btinternet.com>
> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > As we approach the cold nasty days of Winter I wondered what you guys
> found
> > to be the worst part of winter cycling?
>

> Having to think about it months before it happens on a bright and sparkly late summer's day
> because someone is depressed enough by his foresight to post such questions :~)
>
> Slipping on ice, falling and cracking ribs :~(

;-) ok ok, so im obsessed with the winter!

Cold fingers, head wind, sleet, rain and 40 mile in Derbyshire before you get home and theres always
the one where your in the cafe and have to put your damp/wet clothes back on & when you step outside
WOW dont remember it being that cold when you went in the cafe did you ...lololololo

but at least winter is for ''real'' cyclist......

D@vo the bigger the ring the more it hurts

ENJOY

"Lee" <gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverymuch.btinternet.com> writes:

> As we approach the cold nasty days of Winter I wondered what you guys found to be the worst part
> of winter cycling?

Fixing a puncture at the roadside miles from anywhere in slushy snow when it's dark, sleating and
blowing a gale.

Misery.

;; no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn. ;; Jim Morrison

"Lee" <gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverymuch.btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> As we approach the cold nasty days of Winter I wondered what you guys
found
> to be the worst part of winter cycling?
>
> Or maybe you enjoy it more so than summer (weido's!)

A 25 mph headwind at the same time as a sleet downpour.

"Davo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Cold fingers, head wind, sleet, rain and 40 mile in Derbyshire before
you
> get home and theres always the one where your in the cafe and have to put your damp/wet clothes
> back on & when you step outside WOW dont remember it being that cold when you went in the cafe did
> you ...lololololo
>

> but at least winter is for ''real'' cyclist......
>
> D@vo the bigger the ring the more it hurts
>

> ENJOY

Well my work commute crosses the Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire border so i guess ill learn all
about that!

> "Lee"
<gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverymuch.btinternet.com> writes:

> > As we approach the cold nasty days of Winter I wondered what you guys
found
> > to be the worst part of winter cycling?
>
> Fixing a puncture at the roadside miles from anywhere in slushy snow when it's dark, sleating and
> blowing a gale.
>
> Misery.

Ow, my fingers hurt just thinking of it.

Lee wrote:

> As we approach the cold nasty days of Winter I wondered what you guys found to be the worst part
> of winter cycling?

The fact it gets dark so early that almost any ride could well need lights and the prescience to
foretell what other drivers are going to do because they are too blinded by the ******** behind
you's fog lights to notice you at all.

--
Stevie D \\\\\ ///// Bringing dating agencies to the \\\\\\\__X__///////
common hedgehog since 2001 - "HedgeHugs" ___\\\\\\\'/

> A 25 mph headwind at the same time as a sleet downpour.

Definitely the wind. And the wuthering, of course. It's invisible touch can trespass on my goodwill
rather. But I won't lie down like a lamb on Broadway, no sir! It can Foxtrot Oscar as far as I'm
concerned - in fact the wind in winter was the genesis of my journey to the dark side.

And the word was... Recumbent!

--
Guy
===

http://www.chapmancentral.com

> "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > A 25 mph headwind at the same time as a sleet downpour.
>

> Definitely the wind. And the wuthering, of course. It's invisible touch can trespass on my
> goodwill rather. But I won't lie down like a lamb on Broadway, no sir! It can Foxtrot Oscar as far
> as I'm concerned - in fact the wind in winter was the genesis of my journey to the dark side.
>
> And the word was... Recumbent!

I spotted 7 Genesis links and I claim my 5 quid.

--
Simon