What is the worth of CARBON SOLED SHOES?

Bigbananabike

Dec 29, 2004
I have two pairs of plastic and, I presume, steel inserted soled cycling shoes. Both fit fine etc
Carbon soled, lighter weight shoes seem to be 'the' way to go. Why? :confused:
Would they really make any difference on the road? :rolleyes:

Cheers, Paul :)

Bigbananabike said:
Because they're typically stiffer for more efficient power transfer to the pedal, and yet lighter at the same time.

Bigbananabike said:
Probably not a noticeable one -- depends on the level of riding/competition you do. Dropping about a pound of rotating weight off the bike is nothing to scoff at for competitive cyclists, and shoes are a much cheaper way to do that than a high-end set of wheels.

Bigbananabike said:
I have two pairs of plastic and, I presume, steel inserted soled cycling shoes. Both fit fine etc

I just switched shoes since I think my Sidi's were too narrow. While looking at the LBS the sales guy had me demo the bend in my Sidi's VS the carbon Specialized I was looking at. Amazing!

I didn't realize how much flex I could put on the Sidi's. None on the Specialized. So I was wasting energy on my old shoes and perhaps causing foot fatigue. Can't say enough about the latter since I haven't ridden enough to evaluate fully but it makes sense on both accounts.

I wouldn't go out of my way to swap shoes but if you are in the market for a new pair check it out.

Bigbananabike said:

........ no

frenchyge said:
Because they're typically stiffer for more efficient power transfer to the pedal, and yet lighter at the same time.

Probably not a noticeable one -- depends on the level of riding/competition you do. Dropping about a pound of rotating weight off the bike is nothing to scoff at for competitive cyclists, and shoes are a much cheaper way to do that than a high-end set of wheels.
Agree it's not going to make a huge difference for most of us, but shoe weights can vary significantly. Carbon shoes can be a good way to save rotating weight as you said.

When I bought Carnac Ellipse shoes a few years ago to replace my old (circa 1992) pair of Shimano carbons, didn't pay any attention to the weights. One day I happened to pick up an old Shimano shoe and noticed how much lighter it felt compared to the Carnac. On my kitchen scale, the pair of Shimano's weighs ~550 grams while the Carnac's are ~850 grams....that's 300 grams difference.

I'm not a much of a weight-wienie, but don't like "giving up" 300 grams of rotating weight just in my shoes. Will definitely check the weights when shopping for my next shoes this season.

yamaha_mike said:
I just switched shoes since I think my Sidi's were too narrow. While looking at the LBS the sales guy had me demo the bend in my Sidi's VS the carbon Specialized I was looking at. Amazing!

I didn't realize how much flex I could put on the Sidi's. None on the Specialized. So I was wasting energy on my old shoes and perhaps causing foot fatigue. Can't say enough about the latter since I haven't ridden enough to evaluate fully but it makes sense on both accounts.

I wouldn't go out of my way to swap shoes but if you are in the market for a new pair check it out.
:eek: Switching from Sidis to Specialized? :eek:

For carbon here is the answer...

http://www.sidisport.com/ita/cycling/art_d.asp?ATp_ID=C01&Art_ID=MCERGO

;) And in truth, for a recreational rider the benefit to carbon soles is that they are lighter, they empty your wallet quicker, and look wicked... :cool: