what is this phil wood tool for?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Douglas Landau, Aug 19, 2004.

  1. I ended up with this recently...

    http://www.topowest.com/dkl/misc/hubs/philwood.jpg

    The little note was rolled up inside it.
    This must be for a Phil Wood BB? It has 20 splines.
    The outside diameter of the splines is 21.5mm. The
    inside diameter is 19.5mm.

    Anybody want it?

    Thanks,
    dkl

    Tags:

  2. serg

    serg Guest

    looks like some sort or lockring tool. either for a hub or a bb.

    "Douglas Landau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I ended up with this recently...
    >
    > http://www.topowest.com/dkl/misc/hubs/philwood.jpg
    >
    > The little note was rolled up inside it.
    > This must be for a Phil Wood BB? It has 20 splines.
    > The outside diameter of the splines is 21.5mm. The
    > inside diameter is 19.5mm.
    >
    > Anybody want it?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > dkl

  3. Peter

    Peter Guest

    serg wrote:

    > looks like some sort or lockring tool. either for a hub or a bb.

    Removal tool for freewheels with splines. The Phil Wood version
    had much thinner walls than the regular tools and this made it
    possible to remove the freewheel without undoing the locknut and
    cone from the axle.

    > "Douglas Landau" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>I ended up with this recently...
    >>
    >>http://www.topowest.com/dkl/misc/hubs/philwood.jpg
    >>
    >>The little note was rolled up inside it.
    >>This must be for a Phil Wood BB? It has 20 splines.
    >>The outside diameter of the splines is 21.5mm. The
    >>inside diameter is 19.5mm.
    >>
    >>Anybody want it?

    Nope, already have mine.

  4. Douglas Landau writes:

    > I ended up with this recently...

    > http://www.topowest.com/dkl/misc/hubs/philwood.jpg

    > The little note was rolled up inside it. This must be for a Phil
    > Wood BB? It has 20 splines. The outside diameter of the splines is
    > 21.5mm. The inside diameter is 19.5mm.

    > Anybody want it?

    That is a remover for Regina splined freewheels of the 4-speed kind
    that were extended to 5-speeds in the 1950's with extending the 4th
    sprockets and finally extended to piggy-backed 6-speed before cassette
    hubs took over.

    It belongs in a museum or in the tool box of a bicycle shop that on
    some occasions needs to work on such a wheel.

    Jobst Brandt
    [email protected]

  5. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    [email protected] (Douglas Landau) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I ended up with this recently...
    >
    > http://www.topowest.com/dkl/misc/hubs/philwood.jpg
    >
    > The little note was rolled up inside it.
    > This must be for a Phil Wood BB? It has 20 splines.
    > The outside diameter of the splines is 21.5mm. The
    > inside diameter is 19.5mm.
    >
    > Anybody want it?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > dkl

    It fits a Regina freewheel. The original Regina tools required
    removing a couple of the drive-side spacers before the tool could be
    inserted in the freewheel. Since Phil hubs have solid, large-diameter
    axles, they required a special thin-wall tool to remove Regina splined
    freewheels.

    Jeff

  6. Jay Beattie

    Jay Beattie Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Douglas Landau writes:
    >
    > > I ended up with this recently...

    > > http://www.topowest.com/dkl/misc/hubs/philwood.jpg

    > > The little note was rolled up inside it. This must be for a

    Phil
    > > Wood BB? It has 20 splines. The outside diameter of the

    splines is
    > > 21.5mm. The inside diameter is 19.5mm.

    > > Anybody want it?

    > That is a remover for Regina splined freewheels of the 4-speed

    kind
    > that were extended to 5-speeds in the 1950's with extending the

    4th
    > sprockets and finally extended to piggy-backed 6-speed before

    cassette
    > hubs took over.
    >
    > It belongs in a museum or in the tool box of a bicycle shop

    that on
    > some occasions needs to work on such a wheel.

    Yah, but the five speed black Regina freewheel cost $8 -- body,
    cogs and all. Double that for the Oro. And you could do that
    mind-exploding cog size/position selection thing. You could also
    cross-thread them or get them stuck on really hard (and crack
    your thin-walled Phil tool getting them off). Ah, those were the
    days of long handled wrenches when men were men. I figure in
    five or six years from now, we will have new posters showing us
    pictures of bottom bracket pin spanners and asking "what were
    these for?" -- Jay Beattie.

  7. Jim Adney

    Jim Adney Guest

    On 19 Aug 2004 12:00:00 -0700 [email protected] (Douglas Landau) wrote:

    >I ended up with this recently...
    >
    >http://www.topowest.com/dkl/misc/hubs/philwood.jpg
    >
    >The little note was rolled up inside it.
    >This must be for a Phil Wood BB? It has 20 splines.
    >The outside diameter of the splines is 21.5mm. The
    >inside diameter is 19.5mm.
    >
    >Anybody want it?

    If you still have it, I could use it. What would you like for it?

    -
    Jim Adney [email protected]
    Madison, WI 53711 USA

  8. I've got two of 'em in the tool drawer, along with Suntour two- and four-prong
    tools, and other stuff like that. The odds of any being used again are about
    the same as my riding in the Tour de France. Am I the only one too silly to
    throw things away?

    Art

  9. Jay Beattie <[email protected]> wrote:
    >your thin-walled Phil tool getting them off). Ah, those were the
    >days of long handled wrenches when men were men. I figure in
    >five or six years from now, we will have new posters showing us
    >pictures of bottom bracket pin spanners and asking "what were
    >these for?" -- Jay Beattie.

    They're still used for synch chain tension on tandems. Anyway, that's what
    I use mine for.