What Is This Thing!?

it looks like something that has been inside a furnace, and is that molten glass in the center?

One of those tool you use for blowing glass?

leonsterob said:
Heya all,

As part of a (seriously important!) civil service christmas quiz this year, we have been given this picture, and asked what it is. The picture is on our geocities weblink (below). Any help would be much appreciated...
Kind regards,
Leon

http://uk.geocities.com/kw72uk/mysteryphoto1.jpg

The first thing that pops into my head is that it looks like the ornamental accent of a wrought iron gate or park bench.

rule62 said:
The first thing that pops into my head is that it looks like the ornamental accent of a wrought iron gate or park bench.
Yep. my thoughts too. Park bench for sure. Probably.

huhenio said:
IT is the wheelist fixed gear bike! .... oh wait .... no it is not.
Sorry Huhenio, I keep meaning to take some photos of it, but keep forgetting what with all the other **** I'm dealing with. I'll be glad when Christmas is over and I can get back to doing nothing but tinkering in the shed.

I'll try and remember to upload pics over the weekend. It's the only time I see daylight!! :)

I think it's a crusty adjustable jet in a fuel oil burner like a boiler or furnace.

flapsupcleanup said:
An automobile tie rod end. Grease in the middle.
It certainly looks like a tie rod end.... The reflection in the water droplet suggests the wheel is off and blue sky's present. Yellow and green ? Shop floor perhaps. ?

Leon, you better let us know what this is when the answer is revealed.

Lw

leonsterob said:
Heya all,

As part of a (seriously important!) civil service christmas quiz this year, we have been given this picture, and asked what it is.
look, just tell us what it is ya plum.

Ladies and gentlemen,thankyou all for your kind responses - it was a close up of the chain from a penny farthing!
thanks again,
Leon

leonsterob said:
Ladies and gentlemen,thankyou all for your kind responses - it was a close up of the chain from a penny farthing!
thanks again,
Leon
Scotty_Dog said:
Close-up of a cruddy chain?
Great!
What do I win?
Let me guess, the check is in the mail........:D :D

leonsterob said:
thanks again,
Leon

Aye Corumba !

Penny farthing ? I didn't know they used chains :confused: