What is "too much" fat?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by LongJohn, Jan 17, 2006.

  1. LongJohn

    LongJohn Guest

    I'm male in my 50's, normal height and weight with BMI=24. I wonder whether
    I'm eating too much fat. I eat about 50g of total fat daily from raw
    almonds, plus fat from other food sources which isn't much. However, almond
    fat is 95% mono- and polyunsaturated, and I have been eating it in the
    belief that is is beneficial in helping to increase HDL. My total
    cholesterol is 130, HDL is 46 and LDL is 74. What I wonder is, am I eating
    "too much" fat? Or, doesn't it matter because it's primarily the "good"
    fat?

    Tags:

  2. LongJohn wrote:
    > I'm male in my 50's, normal height and weight with BMI=24. I wonder whether
    > I'm eating too much fat. I eat about 50g of total fat daily from raw
    > almonds, plus fat from other food sources which isn't much. However, almond
    > fat is 95% mono- and polyunsaturated, and I have been eating it in the
    > belief that is is beneficial in helping to increase HDL. My total
    > cholesterol is 130, HDL is 46 and LDL is 74. What I wonder is, am I eating
    > "too much" fat? Or, doesn't it matter because it's primarily the "good"
    > fat?

    50g fat = 450 calories. For a male 5'10" of BMI 24 you probably weigh
    around 167lbs and have a BMR of 1655.41 calories. So your fat intake is
    27% of your recommended intake. Typically you need about 1g/kg of body
    weight protein (unless you are doing lifting or whatever) so thats 75g
    of protein for about 300 calories or 18% of your total. That leaves 55%
    carbohydrate which some say is too high but I personally am fine with
    that. Ornish or Pritikin would have you at 10% fat, ~20% protein and
    70% fat. I've done that and done very well. Atkins would have you at 10%
    carbs, 40% protein and 50% fat. And South Beach has you at 20 protein,
    40 fat, 40 carbs.

    Personally I go for no added fat whatsoever and that is around 10%. Just
    a handful of nuts and I'm up to 20%. I try to keep my protein high
    around 1.2 - 1.5g/kg cause I do a lot of exercise. I try to eat my
    carbs as unprocessed as possible.

    I don't care about my cholesterol as a metric for how I feel, look and
    perform. If you do care, eat walnuts instead of almonds. Higher Omega-3's.

  3. Just Cocky

    Just Cocky Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 04:55:12 GMT, "LongJohn" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm male in my 50's, normal height and weight with BMI=24. I wonder whether
    >I'm eating too much fat. I eat about 50g of total fat daily from raw
    >almonds, plus fat from other food sources which isn't much. However, almond
    >fat is 95% mono- and polyunsaturated, and I have been eating it in the
    >belief that is is beneficial in helping to increase HDL. My total
    >cholesterol is 130, HDL is 46 and LDL is 74. What I wonder is, am I eating
    >"too much" fat? Or, doesn't it matter because it's primarily the "good"
    >fat?

    Your total cholesterol is kind of low. Are you a vegetarian?

  4. Juhana Harju

    Juhana Harju Guest

    LongJohn wrote:

    : I'm male in my 50's, normal height and weight with BMI=24. I wonder
    : whether I'm eating too much fat. I eat about 50g of total fat daily
    : from raw almonds, plus fat from other food sources which isn't much.

    Which means that you eat 100 g almonds daily (fat content of almonds is
    51%). It is not wise to eat too much of any single food. You could increase
    variety in nuts, including also walnuts, 1-2 Brazil nuts and tahini in your
    diet. Nuts and seeds are very concentrated foods and in total 50 grams
    daily would be enough.

    --
    Juhana

  5. LongJohn

    LongJohn Guest

    I'm not a vegetarian. My TC has always been in the 118-160 range. Genes I
    guess.

    "Just Cocky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 04:55:12 GMT, "LongJohn" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>I'm male in my 50's, normal height and weight with BMI=24. I wonder
    >>whether
    >>I'm eating too much fat. I eat about 50g of total fat daily from raw
    >>almonds, plus fat from other food sources which isn't much. However,
    >>almond
    >>fat is 95% mono- and polyunsaturated, and I have been eating it in the
    >>belief that is is beneficial in helping to increase HDL. My total
    >>cholesterol is 130, HDL is 46 and LDL is 74. What I wonder is, am I
    >>eating
    >>"too much" fat? Or, doesn't it matter because it's primarily the "good"
    >>fat?
    >>

    > Your total cholesterol is kind of low. Are you a vegetarian?

  6. LongJohn

    LongJohn Guest

    Very informative, Karstens. Thanks ... :eek:)

    news:[email protected]