what is up with my quads

mary

Guest
I am an avid rider. About 4600 miles a year. This year I have had a lot of
problems with fatigue in my quads after only a few miles. not sure what the
problem is but it is slowing me down considerably. Any thoughts? Some
background: I am a 50 year old woman and generally average about 13 -14
miles an hour on most rides. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

"mary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>I am an avid rider. About 4600 miles a year. This year I have had a lot of
>problems with fatigue in my quads after only a few miles. not sure what
>the problem is but it is slowing me down considerably. Any thoughts? Some
>background: I am a 50 year old woman and generally average about 13 -14
>miles an hour on most rides. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Do you stretch out your hamstrings before/after riding? What's your
alignment of your legs while you ride? Have someone follow you and see if
you're riding with your knees "out", or if they're lined up with your feet.
Tight hamstrings tend to be more of a "guy" thing, but it might be a problem
for you, too.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

mary wrote:
> I am an avid rider. About 4600 miles a year. This year I have had a
> lot of problems with fatigue in my quads after only a few miles. not
> sure what the problem is but it is slowing me down considerably. Any
> thoughts? Some background: I am a 50 year old woman and generally
> average about 13 -14 miles an hour on most rides. Any help will be
> greatly appreciated. Thanks

Check your saddle height. Is it possible that your seat post has slipped
down a bit?

On Jan 13, 1:21 pm, "mary" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I am an avid rider. About 4600 miles a year. This year I have had a lot of
> problems with fatigue in my quads after only a few miles. not sure what the
> problem is but it is slowing me down considerably. Any thoughts? Some
> background: I am a 50 year old woman and generally average about 13 -14
> miles an hour on most rides. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

have you changed anything from last year? equipment, tires, shoes,
bike set up, training regime? it sounds like maybe something changed
and it is causing that problem
carlos
http://www.bikingthings.com

On Jan 13, 1:21 pm, "mary" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I am an avid rider. About 4600 miles a year. This year I have had a lot of
> problems with fatigue in my quads after only a few miles. not sure what the
> problem is but it is slowing me down considerably. Any thoughts? Some
> background: I am a 50 year old woman and generally average about 13 -14
> miles an hour on most rides. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I have had this problem when my seat was improperly adjusted.
Generally I find I experience premature pain in the calfs if my seat
is too high, and pain in the quads when it is too low. Check out
these two articles for good instructions on how to adjust your seat
properly:
http://bicyclesource.com/seat_height_adjustment
http://bicyclesource.com/bike_seat_height

"mary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>I am an avid rider. About 4600 miles a year. This year I have had a lot of
>problems with fatigue in my quads after only a few miles. not sure what
>the problem is but it is slowing me down considerably. Any thoughts? Some
>background: I am a 50 year old woman and generally average about 13 -14
>miles an hour on most rides. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. I was afraid it might be those 50 years
creeping up on me. I am going to do some hamstring work and recheck my
position on the bike. I did start using clipless pedals last spring. I had
the shop refit me on the bike and adjust everything but maybe the seat post
has slipped.

mary
there are medical problems that can cause this and i suggest you have a
internist check you out

hth
peter

"ilaboo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> mary
> there are medical problems that can cause this and i suggest you have a
> internist check you out
>
> hth
> peter

Thanks Peter,

That was acually the first thing I did. i have RA and spoke with my
rhumitologist last summer. Wanted to make sure it wasn't an effect from the
meds after all these years.
Mary

> "mary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>I am an avid rider. About 4600 miles a year. This year I have had a lot
>>of problems with fatigue in my quads after only a few miles. not sure
>>what the problem is but it is slowing me down considerably. Any thoughts?
>>Some background: I am a 50 year old woman and generally average about
>>13 -14 miles an hour on most rides. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>>Thanks

> Thanks for the suggestions. I was afraid it might be those 50 years
> creeping up on me. I am going to do some hamstring work and recheck my
> position on the bike. I did start using clipless pedals last spring. I
> had the shop refit me on the bike and adjust everything but maybe the seat
> post has slipped.

Did you change your diet?

"smn" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> "mary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> "mary" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>I am an avid rider. About 4600 miles a year. This year I have had a lot
>>>of problems with fatigue in my quads after only a few miles. not sure
>>>what the problem is but it is slowing me down considerably. Any
>>>thoughts? Some background: I am a 50 year old woman and generally average
>>>about 13 -14 miles an hour on most rides. Any help will be greatly
>>>appreciated. Thanks

>> Thanks for the suggestions. I was afraid it might be those 50 years
>> creeping up on me. I am going to do some hamstring work and recheck my
>> position on the bike. I did start using clipless pedals last spring. I
>> had the shop refit me on the bike and adjust everything but maybe the
>> seat post has slipped.

> Did you change your diet?

Nope.