What Is Your Alternative Activity For Cycling?

Keyan

Jul 7, 2015
Sometimes I feel bored going through the same routine and or sometimes I do not have the time to prepare and spend on a good ride. I still want to stay active and fit but there are days when I just can not. What is your alternative to cycling ?

I love basketball, tennis, and swimming. Basketball and tennis are MUCH more stop and go than cycling or tennis. The bursts up hills on my bike help me on the tennis and basketball court, and conversely the constant stop and go associated with basketball and tennis help my sprints and bursts up hills on my bike. Crossing training is great for the body and mind. Changing things up offers a nice balance and keeps things fresh and exciting! :)

P.S. Even within biking you can keep things very interesting by mixing it up. Some days I do a series of short sprints. Very HIIT (high intensity interval training) rich! Other days I'll climb hills, or work on time trial type rides. And even with the hills you have options---can do one long climb, or a bunch of very short climbs, almost in a HIIT fashion, i.e. up, down, repeat (same hill).

My cycling alternative is going out for late evening/very early morning walks. I don't have any destinations in mind when I do go though, I just sort of let my legs take me, or simply choose a direction and try to walk in that direction as far as I can.

I've found that walking at these times seems to be a great way for me to think about things and to work stuff out in my head. At home and doing other things I can never seem to concentrate, but a good walk really helps to un-clutter the brain and to solve problems.

I wish I could say it was running but how I hate thee ridiculous leg to pavement moving. I saw someone mention team sports & sports in general. That's really my go to for exercise. The worst part of that though is gathering the group together. Drives me insane to have to pump up the group. Thus resulting in me going to a park & playing basketball with the local teens.

Anyone here into triathlon or had tried it? I just thought about it now that I have read some of the comments. I think you are engaged with this sport you need not think of other alternatives right?

Swimming... :)

Might get a pool card and give up lots of cycling for a while actually. I had a really bad accident recently and don't feel like I could enjoy cycling that much for a while... :(

There's tons of things you can do. Walk, jog, run or rebound. The first three are free. The last is the trampoline. A small rebounder is cool to keep at home to jog or jump on. It's great exercise. Walking is free and it hits every muscle in the body including the stomach. It is especially great for loosing weight in your stomach.
Funny but, beer drinking is not an exercise. It's a sport and it's not a very active one either if you do it from your recliner.

I like swimming and hiking in the mountains. On a typical outing with friends, we will take our bikes to a certain point and then continue from there to start walking. Camping is always an option as well. My personal favorite combination of activities would have to be a camping trip on a bike, combined with lots of swimming in some quiet, cool river or lake, and later to sit around a campfire and enjoy the company of great friends along with a good meal.

The mountain climbers exercise is my go to cardio for when the weather keeps me indoors. It's just a bodyweight-cardio exercise that needs no other equipment than the floor and some decent sneakers.

Besides to cycling I like jogging and running at races, also I like swimming and doing different exercises.
Not really sport related, but my biggest hobby is writing and I also spend a lot of time at doing that. :)

It's like a burnout when you get bored in your routine. In our village where I usually bike, it is divided in areas for a total of 15 areas. The first areas, i.e. area 1 until area 5, are somewhat crowded and busy. But in the other areas, there are so many to be seen like big houses, unique structures, pasture land with cattle and goats, shanties. There's a wide variety of sights that our village has to offer. And the roads are mostly dirt roads but with some steep climbs. So when I get tired of seeing the same sights, I go to the other areas.

I don't have an alternative activity, really. The only other thing I do is walking. I have fibromyalgia so I'm in a lot of pain most of the time, and I can't do things like weight lifting or exercise that requires a lot of body movement like dancing (which sucks because to be honest dancing is my favorite thing to do). I don't always feel like cycling either though, so when I want to do something new I just walk around instead. If I was in better health I'd get back into all the other exercises I used to do - dancing, circuit training, jogging, etc - but for now I need to content myself with what I'm able to.

I'm encouraged a lot by people that don't understand my condition to "push myself" because they think if I just try harder I'll stop being so "lazy". Its really hurtful when people say things like that because it feels like they're minimizing the pain that I experience on a day to day basis. My doctor has told me to take it slow and just to the things I'm able to, though.

I do go to the gym. All I want to stay fit is exercising and going to the gym, which is the best alternative. I can also go out to jog, once. Without exercising, I feel uncomfortable while performing different tasks.

Reactions: 9lines
Walking my two dogs is a great activity, also I have a running machine that I use at home and also a little casual tennis with a friend :)

Walking, cycling and jogging. Sometimes I will hit the gym. Nevertheless, cycling is the most fun way to stay fit in my opinion. And that's also the reason why I'll spend 70% of my time riding my bike, over doing other physical activities to stay in shape.

Walking, cycling and jogging. Sometimes I will hit the gym. Nevertheless, cycling is the most fun way to stay fit in my opinion. And that's also the reason why I'll spend 70% of my time riding my bike, over doing other physical activities to stay in shape.

Couldn't agree more, I don't cycle for my exercise check list. Isn't it great getting health benefits from something you do for pure enjoyment? I started running close to 10 years ago and enjoy it maybe, 60-70 % of the time. I enjoy the bike 99% of the time at least.

Do any of you guys skip rope? Its a very good way to get quick cardio in and work the leg muscles. a hard 15 minutes is all you need.

My alternative is basically several sports but I realised nothing can really replace any of those sports. Cycling is something I really miss since my bike was stolen and just few days ago I was lucky enough to bump on a guy riding my bike. Naturally I already reported my bike stolen so I called the Police and I am waiting to get it back now. So it is fun for me again. When I am not riding a bike I run, play football or footsal with my friend, go to gym or just workout at home.