What Is Your Average Speed? (20 miles/32 km)

mcgr said:
What Is Your Average Speed? (20 miles/32 km)
What are the speed units? What's yours? Are we talking best speeds or typical training or what? Not sure what it tells us anyway.

Training 30+ km/h
Racing 40+ km/h

Units= km/h
Alex Simmons said:
What are the speed units? What's yours? Are we talking best speeds or typical training or what? Not sure what it tells us anyway.

Training 30+ km/h
Racing 40+ km/h

Doesn't it depend on the terrain and whether it's an individual effort or in a bunch?

In any case, that 31-40 band is a pretty wide one. A lot of riders are sitting in that range.

mcgr said:
What Is Your Average Speed? (km/h)
This is really a biased question. If I do a local hills route, say 30 miles, I'm pushing to average better than 17mph, if I'm doing a flat 150 mile route, I can average 23mph.

It's many years since I raced.

Myself and a couple of my old team mates had the fanciful idea, last year, of taking part in Vets races (to race as a Vet you've to be over 35 years old) this season and doing Paris-Brest-Paris too.

I had always kept my hand in on the bike after I finished racing : and I average between 16 - 20mph.
I thought that I would be able to race at the least.
But try as hard as I can, my average speeds never exceeded that range (16-20mph).
My mates quickly gave up the idea of competing when they were struggling to hit 15mph (it's over 20 years since they got on a bike in anger).

26-30... was doing 40, would probably be in 41+ for shorter runs (say 30-40K) if it wasn't for a broken arm. This is on pretty much flat ground (hills seem to not exist around here) FWIW. All that being said I'm doing a lot longer rides now than before I broke my arm.

EDIT: screw my vote and everything I just said, didn't read the 32K part...