What is your average speed.

Group rides vary too much to figure out how I'm doing speed wise. I've just moved up from the local B-pack to the A-pack and find that the A-pack generally rides with a much greater range of speed. When its fast its blinding fast (and I'm gasping for air), when its slow its far too comfortable.

The B-pack seems to alway be riding near their lactic threshold. The A-pack rides fairly easy one day, then hammers the next with slower regrouping intervals.

I use a local 20mi route to check my speed, its mostly flat, and generally has a prevailing crosswind. When I started doing this 5 years ago I was averaging 17.5mi/hr. I promised myself a new bike when I hit 18.5 consistantly.

I'm currently at 19.5, but the next bike won't come till 20.

i always ride solo, mostly in windy conditions on flat roads. Distance about 100km, av HR 135, which gives me a regular average of 29km/hr most of the time.

the average speed depends on what you are doing. if you sit on your bike for training 32 km/h (18-20 mph) should do it. if you are on tour with lots of mountains, heavy weight on the bike...., average speed drops to 25 km/h (15-17 mph)

Just thought that I would add some of my info to this thread:

These rides are all on my own at a cadence around about 80avg / 150max

My Max HR: 203 / Weight: 67kg

Riding at minus 176bpm I did a 120 mile ride in 6 hours (total elevation gain of 7500ft)
Avg HR: 154
Max HR: 185
RPE: 9 (hard)
Avg Speed: 19.8mph

I had done the same route in the opposite direction two days before that in about the same time.
Avg HR: 147
Max HR: 176
RPE: 9 (hard)
Avg Speed 19.7mph

A more easier ride... would be:
Time: 2hr 45mins
Avg HR: 130
Max HR 154
RPE: 2 (easy)
Avg Speed: 20mph
Total Elev. Gain: 1400ft

Get yourself a book called "The Trainin Bible" bye Joe something. He'll get you all the facts. There are no shortcuts. The body needs slow rides and hard rides. You'll just stick with low heart rates/low speed until you're fit and then you work on speed. I used to ride base miles at 13-14mph just to make sure I stayed in the HR zone. Now I'm usually around 18mph but it has nothing to do with you. I live in a ballroom flat place and due to extreme heat I usually ride early or at night when there's little or no wind. Stick with HR zones and don't rush it. Speed is only important when you race.

i did a 10 mile time trial last week the course was a loop a long down hill to begin with then a relative flat until the 5mile mark is reached turn around and cycle back up to 5 miles in 14.20(s)and on the way back my time was 13.40(s) i had an average of 22mph the weather conditions weren't that good rain mostly and then brief momments of hail