What is your favorite Cross Country Trail

woodchuck

Nov 21, 2004
Lets get this forum going! What is your favorite x-country trail? Please include closest city, and state/province.

woodchuck said:
Lets get this forum going! What is your favorite x-country trail? Please include closest city, and state/province.
I live in Maryland, and we have a riding area closeby called Shaeffer Farm. It's basically a huge plot of land, some of which was donated to the MD Park Service by one or more farmers. There are a few "loops" set up. One's around 4.5 miles long and the other is over 7 miles long. There are also interconnecting trails so you can connect the two loops in several different "figure-8" configurations to make the rides longer. At every intersection, there's a "P" with an arrow that points the way back to the parking area, so it's difficult to get lost.

It's all single-track, and much, much fun.

my favorite easy little connector trail is Sidewinder but my favorite true cross country trail is Hard Guy and hence the name it is hard :eek: both are in boise Idaho USA

Japanees Gultch in Everett, Washington used to be better free riding but after several air lifts out the people who own the property took them out :-( so now its just a good cross country trail

~Scott

I live in Southeast Michigan. In the city of Novi, there's a trail in Lakeshore Park. The trail is about 9 miles long and has beginner, intermediate and expert sections. It is such a technical trail and that's why I love it. The funny thing is, this was the second trail I rode on when I started XC biking and the challenge made me want to get more and more into biking.

My favorite XC ride is mostly gravel roads that passes a lake and its campgrounds on the way out and comes back along a river bluff road, about 45 miles round trip, beautiful scenery, lot's of hills to work out on. Not really a trail but it's my Idea of XC riding!

Born2bahick said:
My favorite XC ride is mostly gravel roads that passes a lake and its campgrounds on the way out and comes back along a river bluff road, about 45 miles round trip, beautiful scenery, lot's of hills to work out on. Not really a trail but it's my Idea of XC riding!
Do you have a nearest town/city and state/province on the trail?

Razorback. Ocala, FL. If you're anywhere near here on vacation, RIDE THIS. It WILL surprise you.

woodchuck said:

woodchuck said:
Do you have a nearest town/city and state/province on the trail?
YES the roads run fromTopeka KS east to Perry Ks then south to Lecompton KS
then back west to Topeka

My favorite is Kanawha State Forest near Charleston, WV. My favorite single trail there is Teaberry. I also really enjoy Pisgah, NC though. I think my favorite trail there is Black mountain, or something like that. :)

LowCel said:
My favorite is Kanawha State Forest near Charleston, WV. My favorite single trail there is Teaberry. I also really enjoy Pisgah, NC though. I think my favorite trail there is Black mountain, or something like that. :)

the peak to peak in the peak district UK is my favourite ride. It is closest to sheffield and manchester

Left loop, Thompson loop in the Tsali recreation area near Cherokee, NC. Also the north/ south trail and canal loop at Land between the lakes near Paducah, KY

Favorite Trail is Beach Springs in concord, NC. Awesome tight sincletrack, and very technical.

woodchuck said:
Out my back yard. In Scotland the countryside is open to all responsible users for recreation so if there's a trail you can ride it. I've produced a web site of the best of my local trails and you can view it here.
It may not be a big country but its ALL available.

The only track I have ever ridden, yet, is the Wonderful Lysterfield area, just 40 km from Melbourne Australia. The site of the upcoming commonwealth games MTB track. For those non Commonwealth people, that's for old English colonies who aren't yet Republics.

The Womble in Arkansas about 2 hours from Little Rock. 2nd place would be Oak Mountain near Birmingham, AL.

Great trail right out of the town of Golden, CO. You leave the campus of School of Mines and ride under the highway, past the para-sailers landing site, and up Chimney Gluch to Green Mountain then down Apex via Lookout Rd. (add in Enchanted Forest) then back the same way you came or take the bike path back to town and enjoy a cold one at the 2nd largest brewery in Golden, Golden City.

I'm still quite new to the world of mountain bike riding. How ever i've been hill walking and running for years. I've been able to put my knowledge of Cannock Chase, in Staffs. uk. to good use.

A group of friends and i are regulars up there at weekends now, and the "Follow the dog" trail was the first, and still the best in the midlands.

For info check out chastrails.co.uk

whee said:
Out my back yard. In Scotland the countryside is open to all responsible users for recreation so if there's a trail you can ride it. I've produced a web site of the best of my local trails and you can view it here.
It may not be a big country but its ALL available.
my back yard is the Muirshiel hills in Ayrshire/Inverclyde/Renfrewshire

whee, where in Scotland are you?

btw, there are so many good routes in Scotland, one of my faves is the Devil's Staircase at Glencoe http://www.conneryscottishwalks.co.uk/west_highland_way/walkers_at_the_top_of_devils_staircase_big.jpg