What is your maximum heart rate

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by mikesbytes, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Luke Schierts

Luke Schierts New Member

Im starting to feel like Im an oddball. Im 31 yo and my max heart rate is right about 189. which fits right into the formula, whats wrong with me:confused: I think the important thing is that at 170bpm this spring I could ride at 18mph(on the flat) and now I can sustain 20mph at the same heart rate ( also about the same cad, bigger gear) My resting HR has also dropped from 75bpm to 57bpm. It gives me a good point of reference for myself, like someone said, you cant get any meaningful information comparing heartrates between different people.

2. JAPANic

JAPANic New Member

That yo-yo guy has ruined that thread...

My max so far is 194 & I'm 43......

Our club does a weekly sprint which pushes me to the max each time or near max.
    I'm starting to think that this is not good training but when the sprint starts my competitive nature takes over. Most of the guys are younger than me too.

Should I just ride slower on these runs and save my heart for races or is no damage being done?

3. dhk2

dhk2 Active Member

I like to sprint on the sunday PM club ride as well, and enjoy beating some of the younger guys to the speed limit sign when I can. Would say that if your heart is healthy, you're not doing any damage with max sprint efforts, and probably helping. At age 43, have you had a resting EKG or EKG stress-test to assure you don't have any abnormalities? If not, recommend you get a good checkup, just to be on the safe side.

4. dkrenik

dkrenik Member

So does it really matter?

5. Sillyoldtwit

Sillyoldtwit New Member

Exactly - NO!;) TYSON

6. mikesbytes

mikesbytes New Member

Conclusion is that your maximum heart rate is the maximum you can do. Its relevence is only to working out what your own heart rate zones are.

So which heart rate monitor has the best blink value ?

7. Archibald

Archibald New Member

your heart only has a limited number of beats before it expires. use it less and save your heart. you'll live longer...
    ;)