What is...

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Carol In WI, Feb 4, 2005.

  1. Carol In WI

    Carol In WI Guest

    What is Indian fry Bread? Carol In WI

    Tags:

  2. Lisa

    Lisa Guest

    I use just about the same recipe except leaving out the hole. Then I use
    them for tostadas.

    Lisa

    "Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]

    > "Carol In WI" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> What is Indian fry Bread? Carol In WI

    > http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,184,153167-224205,00.html
    >
    > Dimitri
    >
    > INDIAN FRY BREAD
    >
    > The Indians of the Southwest make baking powder breads that they fry in
    > hot fat, usually lard. The hole in the center, now traditional, was
    > originally made by impaling the bread on a stick to lift it out of the hot
    > fat. Begin 5 minutes ahead. 16 servings. 1 tbsp. baking powder 1 tsp. salt
    > 1 c. water Salad oil
    > 1. In medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Add water;
    > stir until well mixed, adding a little more water, if needed.
    > 2. Divide dough into 16 equal parts, roll into a ball. On floured
    > surfaces, roll each as thin as possible. Make hole in center of ball with
    > finger.
    > 3. In 4 quart saucepan, heat 2 inches oil. Fry 1 piece at a time, about 30
    > seconds on each side until golden, turning once with a slotted spoon.
    > Drain on paper towels; serve. Yield: 16.

  3. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "Carol In WI" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > What is Indian fry Bread? Carol In WI

    http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,184,153167-224205,00.html

    Dimitri

    INDIAN FRY BREAD

    The Indians of the Southwest make baking powder breads that they fry in hot
    fat, usually lard. The hole in the center, now traditional, was originally
    made by impaling the bread on a stick to lift it out of the hot fat. Begin 5
    minutes ahead. 16 servings. 1 tbsp. baking powder 1 tsp. salt 1 c. water
    Salad oil
    1. In medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Add water;
    stir until well mixed, adding a little more water, if needed.
    2. Divide dough into 16 equal parts, roll into a ball. On floured surfaces,
    roll each as thin as possible. Make hole in center of ball with finger.
    3. In 4 quart saucepan, heat 2 inches oil. Fry 1 piece at a time, about 30
    seconds on each side until golden, turning once with a slotted spoon. Drain
    on paper towels; serve. Yield: 16.

  4. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Carol In WI wrote:

    > What is Indian fry Bread? Carol In WI

    It's a North American Indian bread :)

  5. On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 23:46:29 GMT, "Dimitri" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >INDIAN FRY BREAD
    >
    >The Indians of the Southwest make baking powder breads that they fry in hot
    >fat, usually lard. The hole in the center, now traditional, was originally
    >made by impaling the bread on a stick to lift it out of the hot fat. Begin 5
    >minutes ahead. 16 servings. 1 tbsp. baking powder 1 tsp. salt 1 c. water
    >Salad oil
    >1. In medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Add water;
    >stir until well mixed, adding a little more water, if needed.
    >2. Divide dough into 16 equal parts, roll into a ball. On floured surfaces,
    >roll each as thin as possible. Make hole in center of ball with finger.
    >3. In 4 quart saucepan, heat 2 inches oil. Fry 1 piece at a time, about 30
    >seconds on each side until golden, turning once with a slotted spoon. Drain
    >on paper towels; serve. Yield: 16.

    Uh, Dimitri, old pal...how much flour?

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
    AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    -- Duncan Hines

  6. Hag & Stenni

    Hag & Stenni Guest

    On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 23:15:15 GMT, "Carol In WI" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >What is Indian fry Bread? Carol In WI

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Navajo Fry Bread (Indian/Navajo Tacos)

    Recipe By : Rosita
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Bread

    2 cups flour -- ap
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt -- table
    1/2 cup powdered milk
    warm water

    add warm water to form dough;. kneed until dough is soft but not
    sticky. cover with cloth and allow to stand for 2 hours. shape into
    balls about 2 inches across, then flatten by patting iwth hands until
    a curcle about 8 inchs in diameter is formed. put about 1/2 inch of
    lard or other shortening in a large frying pan and heat until quite
    hot.

    Source:
    "Kayenta Navajo reservation From my Grandma Helen's Teachers Aid and
    friend Rosita"

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    - -

    Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 308 Calories; 5g Fat (14.4%
    calories from fat); 11g Protein; 54g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
    16mg Cholesterol; 571mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 Grain(Starch); 1/2
    Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

    NOTES : The thinner the dough, the crisper the fry bread, we serve as
    tacos, with meat cheese vegeis peppers etc, either fold like a taco or
    use the fry bread as a plate, traditionaly its served like this or
    with bbq'd mutton or goat and other trimmins...Wonderful wonderful
    party food...
    Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0

    Pull a Loraine Bobit (cut of Waynes Penis) to reply

  7. Dimiri

    Dimiri Guest

    "Terry Pulliam Burd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 23:46:29 GMT, "Dimitri" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >INDIAN FRY BREAD
    > >
    > >The Indians of the Southwest make baking powder breads that they fry in

    hot
    > >fat, usually lard. The hole in the center, now traditional, was

    originally
    > >made by impaling the bread on a stick to lift it out of the hot fat.

    Begin 5
    > >minutes ahead. 16 servings. 1 tbsp. baking powder 1 tsp. salt 1 c. water
    > >Salad oil
    > >1. In medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Add

    water;
    > >stir until well mixed, adding a little more water, if needed.
    > >2. Divide dough into 16 equal parts, roll into a ball. On floured

    surfaces,
    > >roll each as thin as possible. Make hole in center of ball with finger.
    > >3. In 4 quart saucepan, heat 2 inches oil. Fry 1 piece at a time, about

    30
    > >seconds on each side until golden, turning once with a slotted spoon.

    Drain
    > >on paper towels; serve. Yield: 16.
    > >

    > Uh, Dimitri, old pal...how much flour?
    >
    > Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
    > AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    Duh!
    As good as any.

    4 c. flour
    1 tbsp. baking powder
    1/3 c. sugar
    1 tsp. salt
    2 c. water
    Mix dry ingredients. Add water. Mix gently but thoroughly. Should be very
    sticky dough. Pinch off small handful. Flatten in flour. Cook in hot oil
    (375 degrees). Brown, turn over and brown other side. Drain on paper towel.

    Dimitri

  8. On Sat 05 Feb 2005 11:12:45a, wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 23:46:29 GMT, "Dimitri" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Carol In WI" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]
    >>> What is Indian fry Bread? Carol In WI

    >>http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,184,153167-224205,00.html
    >>
    >>Dimitri
    >>
    >>INDIAN FRY BREAD

    > Otherwise known (at least in the Canadian North) as "bannock".
    > And yes, it was borrowed from the Orkney Islanders hired by the
    > Hudson's Bay Company to man the fur trading posts.
    >
    > Shirley Hicks
    > Toronto, Ontario

    Here in Phoenix there is a place whose specialty is Indian Fry Bread.
    People I know rave about it. I tried it, but wasn't impressed. It seemed
    rather flavorless and doughy.

    Wayne

  9. Mike Beede

    Mike Beede Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Wayne Boatwright <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Here in Phoenix there is a place whose specialty is Indian Fry Bread.
    > People I know rave about it. I tried it, but wasn't impressed. It seemed
    > rather flavorless and doughy.

    I've had it in Minnesota and in New Mexico. The NM version was
    different than the MN version (though oddly enough, not the
    opposite...). In NM it was thinner and crisper. In both
    places it seems to be popular in the "indian taco," which
    is just what you'd imagine. The NM version was especially
    good with lamb stew.

    I also have a recipe from my great-great grandmother. It specifies
    that half the flour must be "commodity" (the government-supplied
    flour).

    Good fry fry bread is tasty and not particularly doughy. Maybe
    they had an off day, or maybe just because it's their specialty
    doesn't mean it's very good.

    Mike Beede

  10. On 5 Feb 2005 18:16:53 GMT, Wayne Boatwright <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Sat 05 Feb 2005 11:12:45a, wrote in rec.food.cooking:
    >
    >> On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 23:46:29 GMT, "Dimitri" <[email protected]>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Carol In WI" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>>news:[email protected]
    >>>
    >>>http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,184,153167-224205,00.html
    >>>
    >>>Dimitri
    >>>
    >>>INDIAN FRY BREAD

    >> Otherwise known (at least in the Canadian North) as "bannock".
    >> And yes, it was borrowed from the Orkney Islanders hired by the
    >> Hudson's Bay Company to man the fur trading posts.
    >>
    >> Shirley Hicks
    >> Toronto, Ontario
    >>

    >Here in Phoenix there is a place whose specialty is Indian Fry Bread.
    >People I know rave about it. I tried it, but wasn't impressed. It seemed
    >rather flavorless and doughy.

    Basic bannock is a quick bread.There just isn't much flavour at all
    (beyond the wheat flour, and that would depend on the grain used)
    unless you add things to it. If you fry it in game fat, it takes on
    some flavour that way So, beef tallow as an equivalent? Bacon fat?
    Can also be a sourdough.

    Shirley Hicks

  11. On Sat 05 Feb 2005 07:15:41p, Mike Beede wrote in rec.food.cooking:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > Wayne Boatwright <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Here in Phoenix there is a place whose specialty is Indian Fry Bread.
    >> People I know rave about it. I tried it, but wasn't impressed. It
    >> seemed rather flavorless and doughy.

    < snip >

    > Good fry fry bread is tasty and not particularly doughy. Maybe
    > they had an off day, or maybe just because it's their specialty
    > doesn't mean it's very good.
    >
    > Mike Beede

    That could very well be true.

    Wayne

  12. Bart D. Hull

    Bart D. Hull Guest

    Wayne,

    What is the name of that restaurant and where is it located? My mom is a
    fry bread nut and might be talked into a dinner run there.

    Bart

    Bart D. Hull
    [email protected]
    Tempe, Arizona

    Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html
    for my Subaru Engine Conversion
    Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html
    for Tango II I'm building.

    Remove -nospam to reply via email.

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > On Sat 05 Feb 2005 11:12:45a, wrote in rec.food.cooking:
    >

    >>On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 23:46:29 GMT, "Dimitri" <[email protected]>
    >>wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Carol In WI" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>>news:[email protected]

    >>>http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,184,153167-224205,00.html
    >>>
    >>>Dimitri
    >>>
    >>>INDIAN FRY BREAD

    >>Otherwise known (at least in the Canadian North) as "bannock".
    >>And yes, it was borrowed from the Orkney Islanders hired by the
    >>Hudson's Bay Company to man the fur trading posts.
    >>
    >>Shirley Hicks
    >>Toronto, Ontario
    >>

    > Here in Phoenix there is a place whose specialty is Indian Fry Bread.
    > People I know rave about it. I tried it, but wasn't impressed. It seemed
    > rather flavorless and doughy.
    >
    > Wayne

  13. Hi Bart,

    It's The Fry Bread House, 802 E. Indian School Rd (in the first block east
    of N. 7th St.), 602-351-2345.

    http://www.digitalcity.com/phoenix/dining/venue.adp?sbid=125614

    Enjoy!
    Wayne