What keeps you motivated to do your cycling on a regular basis?

OursIsTheFury

Apr 21, 2016
For me, even though I love cycling, sometimes it's really hard to get up so early in the morning (because it's so peaceful, and there's very few cars on the roads); how do you guys keep doing it regularly? How do you keep boredom at bay? Thanks for the responses, everyone!

Well, I just cycle for leisure so it really takes no motivation at all. When I feel like getting out and feeling the fresh air against my face, I go. Well, that is usually only when my husband is home so I have someone to watch my toddler.

The hope of stay with the fast group on the weekend rides and eventually contribute or doing the dropping.

Main reason I cycle is for pleasure, so I don't really need to get motivated as its a hobby for me, more than anything.

If you can't get motivated to do something you enjoy, then there's no hope is there!

It's funny sometimes when I would say to my husband that to me, riding is a religion. That was a joke, of course, but there is some truth to it. During the first year that I was riding, it was for health reasons but later on, when I began to fully enjoy riding, it was a diversion. As I had posted in other threads, the sights are enjoyable and it is one part of riding that I truly enjoy, more than I enjoy the camaraderie in riding with a group or the lively banter during pitstops. Not to forget, the exercise is just a bonus.

Reactions: SirJoe and pwarbi
Getting my mind, body, and breathing into a special harmony is almost like some hippy zen thing. I did a ride the other day with a non-cyclist but he is an ultra distance mountain runner and he told me that studies how shown that brain waves are altered and that getting into the zone while cycling is very similar meditation from a brainwave standpoint. I dunno.

I try to explain to my wife when she wants to know what I think about on a 200, 300, or 400. I am unaware of any thoughts. In simple terms, I just feel like a machine detached from the modern world and....it feels good.

Necessity. I have to cycle to get around in a reasonable amount of time, and I have to stay in shape so that if I need to go somewhere farther away and carry a heavy load, I can do it without too much trouble.

It's funny sometimes when I would say to my husband that to me, riding is a religion. That was a joke, of course, but there is some truth to it. During the first year that I was riding, it was for health reasons but later on, when I began to fully enjoy riding, it was a diversion. As I had posted in other threads, the sights are enjoyable and it is one part of riding that I truly enjoy, more than I enjoy the camaraderie in riding with a group or the lively banter during pitstops. Not to forget, the exercise is just a bonus.

To some it does become a religion, and if I dint go out in the bike at least a few times a week I get grumpy and my wife can tell I'm missing it.

She's even resorted to saying sometimes just go for a ride and cheer yourself up, because with me aswell as everything else, it simply cheers me up and makes me feel better.

Reactions: Corzhens
For me, even though I love cycling, sometimes it's really hard to get up so early in the morning (because it's so peaceful, and there's very few cars on the roads); how do you guys keep doing it regularly? How do you keep boredom at bay? Thanks for the responses, everyone!

That's a bad case of lethargy but seriously perhaps you are not that avid in riding because the bed seems to have your priority. Although my habit is to wake up early (before 5am), there are times that I feel tired and lethargy would get the best of me. But when it is a good day to ride, my appetite for riding gets the best of me. With that lifestyle in bed in the morning, I guess you can be a night rider.

I would just ride when you are in the mood to. By forcing yourself, you are just doing more harm than good. All the stress you are creating to get up to cycle is just a negative. I would just find time later in the day to cycle.

It can certainly feel like it at times and if you don't go out for a ride every once in a while it just feels like something is missing.

It can certainly feel like it at times and if you don't go out for a ride every once in a while it just feels like something is missing.

I have to be honest that I have been out of riding for many months now due to the swelling in my leg. That mouse would come and go. The doctor said that it may be a different type of varicose vein and I was advised to take it easy in putting pressure on that leg. Yeah, I truly miss riding that sometimes I go to the village park to socialize with the riders. Even jogging is not allowed so I just had to be content with walking.

Reactions: SirJoe
I pretty much need to do it in order to get to my classes in time, the traffic in here is too much and the subway collapses in peak times quickly. However I do enjoy the fresh air and the fact that I don't have to spend money on gas, those are a plus for a poor college student.

I have to be honest that I have been out of riding for many months now due to the swelling in my leg. That mouse would come and go. The doctor said that it may be a different type of varicose vein and I was advised to take it easy in putting pressure on that leg. Yeah, I truly miss riding that sometimes I go to the village park to socialize with the riders. Even jogging is not allowed so I just had to be content with walking.
Sorry to hear about that. Take it easy and I hope you get better soon. Bicycle rides will come and go but in first is your health.

Reactions: Corzhens
A number of things keep me motivated to cycle. One, I enjoy being in shape and I find that cycling is one of the most fun and enjoyable ways to do that. It beats running inside on a treadmill anytime. And aside from that I really see results from cycling. My body just feels good and toned. My legs feel powerful and strong. And my mind feels happy and at easy when I do it. So it's something I can see myself doing for as long as I'm physically possible to do so.

Cycling has become my habit and I love it. I don't need any kind of motivation because it's already my habit. I do it regularly and I must say I love it.

What motivates me is the fact that I need to commute to work everyday! It also helps that my best bud is an avid cyclist who nags at me to bike during the weekends regularly.