What kind of bike are you gonna get with a ton?

spindrift

Guest
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...100/article.do

Give up your car and get £100

David Williams, Evening Standard
05.12.07

Drivers are being encouraged to give up their cars - with an offer of
£100 to put towards a bicycle.

The scheme has been launched by Islington council, which wants to
slash carbon emissions in the borough.

It will give a voucher for £100 - enough to buy a basic bike - to any
resident who does not renew their annual parking permit, which cost up
to £200 for vehicles with large engines, so-called "gas-guzzlers".

Alternatively, motorists will be offered membership of a car club
giving them 24-hour access to a small fleet of cars shared with
hundreds of other residents and businesses.

Lucy Watt, Islington's executive member for environment, said the
council hoped the rewards would encourage people to get rid of their
cars.

She said: "Climate change is high on the agenda for many people in
Islington and we want to support people in making greener lifestyle
choices.

"Encouraging good behaviour rather than telling people how to live
their lives is a more effective way of achieving lasting change. Most
people find they don't need a vehicle in central London as the public
transport is so good and you can walk to the local shops and
restaurants.

spindrift wrote:

> Drivers are being encouraged to give up their cars - with an offer of
> £100 to put towards a bicycle.

Note that it says "put towards" here...

> It will give a voucher for £100 - enough to buy a basic bike

It /is/ enough to buy a basic bike. It might not be worth the
collective of urc's drool, but if you look around Amsterdam you'll find
thousands of bikes doing regular reliable service that wouldn't fetch
100 pence, never mind pounds...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

On 6 Dec, 11:08, spindrift <[email protected]> wrote:

> It will give a voucher for £100 - enough to buy a basic bike - to any
> resident who does not renew their annual parking permit, which cost up
> to £200 for vehicles with large engines, so-called "gas-guzzlers".

Do they take vouchers in Brick Lane? :p

On Dec 6, 5:22 am, Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:
> spindrift wrote:
> > Drivers are being encouraged to give up their cars - with an offer of
> > £100 to put towards a bicycle.

> Note that it says "put towards" here...
>
> > It will give a voucher for £100 - enough to buy a basic bike

> It /is/ enough to buy a basic bike. It might not be worth the
> collective of urc's drool, but if you look around Amsterdam you'll find
> thousands of bikes doing regular reliable service that wouldn't fetch
> 100 pence, never mind pounds...
>
> Pete.
> --
> Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
> Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
> Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
> net [email protected] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

A quick check on ebay and you can get 10 bikes for under a 100 squid.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Job-lot-of-10...8619111QQihZ010QQcategoryZ33503QQcmdZViewItem

Marz wrote:

> A quick check on ebay and you can get 10 bikes for under a 100 squid.

Do the various payment possibilities include "council bike vouchers", by
any chance?

Pete.
--

On Dec 6, 8:11 am, Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:
> Marz wrote:
> > A quick check on ebay and you can get 10 bikes for under a 100 squid.

> Do the various payment possibilities include "council bike vouchers", by
> any chance?
>
> Pete.
> --
> Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
> Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
> Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
> net [email protected] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Good point, if the voucher is only redeemable at recognised bike
shops, then it's going to be difficult to use that money to buy a
reasonable second hand bike. Which, if I only had a 100 to spend, is
where I'd be prefer to spend it.
Now if you could use the 100 to upgrade a cheap second bike at the
bike shop, that may be of some use. E.g. buy an old mtb and add on
mudguards, lights and new road tyres to turn it into a semi useful
commuter.

spindrift wrote:
> Love it, "The Rockrider!!!"- £69.
>
> WARNING. NOT SUITABLE FOR ROCKY TERRAIN.

It's probably named for its weight not its intended use ;-)

The poorly-chosen name aside, one of the things I like about Decathlon
is that they'll tell you which of their ranges are meant for serious use
and which are "light/occasional". A much more honest approach than the
average BSO supplier who's never going to admit the bike is merely an
imitation of what it appears to be.

-dan

Marz wrote:
> Good point, if the voucher is only redeemable at recognised bike
> shops, then it's going to be difficult to use that money to buy a
> reasonable second hand bike. Which, if I only had a 100 to spend, is
> where I'd be prefer to spend it.

My impression is that Brick Lane Bikes (the shop on Bethnal Green Road,
not the illegal market) does a roaring trade in reasonable second-hand
bikes, albeit that they're all italian steel-framed fixed-gear
conversions ...

-dan

spindrift wrote:
> http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...100/article.do

> Drivers are being encouraged to give up their cars - with an offer of
> £100 to put towards a bicycle.

> It will give a voucher for £100 - enough to buy a basic bike - to any
> resident who does not renew their annual parking permit, which cost up
> to £200 for vehicles with large engines, so-called "gas-guzzlers".

100ukp voucher+200ukp from not buying the permit+ 200ukp for no
tax+200ukp for no insurance = 700ukp (figures guesstimated).

Martin Dann <[email protected]> wrote:

> spindrift wrote:
> > http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...100/article.do

> > Drivers are being encouraged to give up their cars - with an offer of
> > £100 to put towards a bicycle.

> > It will give a voucher for £100 - enough to buy a basic bike - to any
> > resident who does not renew their annual parking permit, which cost up
> > to £200 for vehicles with large engines, so-called "gas-guzzlers".

> 100ukp voucher+200ukp from not buying the permit+ 200ukp for no
> tax+200ukp for no insurance = 700ukp (figures guesstimated).

I can't remember when my insurance cost that little.

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

Ekul Namsob <[email protected]> wrote:

> Martin Dann <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > spindrift wrote:
> > > http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...100/article.do

> > > Drivers are being encouraged to give up their cars - with an offer of
> > > £100 to put towards a bicycle.

> > > It will give a voucher for £100 - enough to buy a basic bike - to any
> > > resident who does not renew their annual parking permit, which cost up
> > > to £200 for vehicles with large engines, so-called "gas-guzzlers".

> > 100ukp voucher+200ukp from not buying the permit+ 200ukp for no
> > tax+200ukp for no insurance = 700ukp (figures guesstimated).

> I can't remember when my insurance cost that little.

what £200 ish? mine has be static at around that level for a few years
now, be that edge of london or south east wales.

> Cheers,
> Luke

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

x-no-archive:On 8 Dec, 22:35, [email protected] (Roger Merriman)
wrote:
> > > 100ukp voucher+200ukp from not buying the permit+ 200ukp for no
> > > tax+200ukp for no insurance = 700ukp (figures guesstimated).

> > I can't remember when my insurance cost that little.

> what £200 ish? mine has be static at around that level for a few years
> now, be that edge of london or south east wales.

Mine is £90 fully comp on a new car. I've just got travel insurance
for a 6 week cycling tour of south east asia for £18. Insurance is
much cheaper if you shop around.

raisethe <[email protected]> wrote:

> x-no-archive:On 8 Dec, 22:35, [email protected] (Roger Merriman)

> > > I can't remember when my insurance cost that little.

> > what £200 ish? mine has be static at around that level for a few years
> > now, be that edge of london or south east wales.

> Mine is £90 fully comp on a new car. I've just got travel insurance
> for a 6 week cycling tour of south east asia for £18. Insurance is
> much cheaper if you shop around.

i do, i think i'd be luckly to get that low considering that i'm in my
30's etc.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

Roger Merriman <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ekul Namsob <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Martin Dann <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > 100ukp voucher+200ukp from not buying the permit+ 200ukp for no
> > > tax+200ukp for no insurance = 700ukp (figures guesstimated).

> > I can't remember when my insurance cost that little.

> what £200 ish? mine has be static at around that level for a few years
> now, be that edge of london or south east wales.

Even before I got any points on my licence, I had been paying over four
hundred pounds a year.

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

Ekul Namsob <[email protected]> wrote:

> Roger Merriman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Ekul Namsob <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I can't remember when my insurance cost that little.

> > what £200 ish? mine has be static at around that level for a few years
> > now, be that edge of london or south east wales.

> Even before I got any points on my licence, I had been paying over four
> hundred pounds a year.

maybe job or something? your about my age aren't you low 30's?

> Cheers,
> Luke

roger

--
www.rogermerriman.com

Roger Merriman <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ekul Namsob <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Roger Merriman <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > what £200 ish? mine has be static at around that level for a few years
> > > now, be that edge of london or south east wales.

> > Even before I got any points on my licence, I had been paying over four
> > hundred pounds a year.

> maybe job or something? your about my age aren't you low 30's?

I'm a 34 year old teacher and have been teaching for nine years now. My
first insurance quote was 280 quid fully comp back in 1997. In the last
six years my insurance has more than doubled. Thinking about it,
however, I moved into this house (in PR1) six years or so ago.
Previously, I lived in PR2.

There may be a link.

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

Ekul Namsob <[email protected]> wrote:

> Roger Merriman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Ekul Namsob <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Even before I got any points on my licence, I had been paying over four
> > > hundred pounds a year.

> > maybe job or something? your about my age aren't you low 30's?

> I'm a 34 year old teacher and have been teaching for nine years now. My
> first insurance quote was 280 quid fully comp back in 1997. In the last
> six years my insurance has more than doubled. Thinking about it,
> however, I moved into this house (in PR1) six years or so ago.
> Previously, I lived in PR2.
>
> There may be a link.

the two postcodes probably have simular rates?

> Cheers,
> Luke

roger
--