What kind of bike do you have?

Well, the bike I'm using now is the first one I've had after the age of 20, and I think I consider it my first 'serious' bike, ie; one I intend to improve and/or tinker with.

But for now it's just a standard '05 Mongoose Tyax Elite (generic, I know, but the frame seems a reasonably solid base on which to build in the short term without huge expense).

I get the feeling it's probably not alot better than saying I have a Raleigh ;)

Already finding the disc brakes inadequate at times... :(

It's great to see people riding Jamis Dakars. I have one of the classics--the 1997 red Dakar with Easton Elite tubing and the Cane Creek AD-10. Still pretty much the same, 8-speed, v-brakes, nice and light and great for XC.

Cyclist14 said:
What kind of XC bike do you have?

Just bought a brand new 05 Specialized Rockhopper...alivio front, deore rear, alivio brakes (plans to upgrade to discs)....I've only taken it out once and not for very long....so far I love it!

I have many. But what I wanted to share is, I have an AlpineStars rigid ride I bought in '91-92 maybe '93 (used to smoke alot of pot) not sure what model, or if they even had models. It is the green and purple frame and exage lever hardware and xt derailleurs. another buddy of mine bought the same model from another dealer in the area also. he too still has it and loves it.( he has added many new things to it) Anyway, I love this bike. It has great geom. and has top-o-the line components of the day. I had it for a year then sold it to a friend so I borrowed it to pull a kiddie trailer (fits better than on my downhill and full suspension bikes) and recently told him made him an offer for the bike back. I paid him a hundred bucks. he put all new cable and a computer on it, and never rode it and I paid less for it to come back into my possesion, so I am happy. I would like to see more two wheeled products from AlpineStars in the future

Cyclist14 said:
What kind of XC bike do you have?

I have a Gary Fisher Tassjara if that can be considered an XC bike
I have a classic hand-built 531 touring bike. It was bought about 25 years ago; and since then nearly every part of it, including frame and forks, have been replaced. It is still the same bike, though, since the down-tube friction shifters are original.
I would like to give a friendly hello and a cheery wave to all roadies and MTBers and 'benters and unicyclists.:D

i have an old 1994 manitou system HT...complete with its original manitou 3 suspension fork...:) still does good job on taking the hits on my ass...(^^,) complete with its original xt group and its original Answer hyperlite and ATAC steering system...but now..im considering to buy a new one...maybe the one that can handle both xc and trail...maybe a KHS xc or a Felt 650...ever heard of these bike frames??....does it suit my need for hybrid xc and trail riding....im open for your suggestions....thnx..:)

My XC bike is an 8 year old custom built Webster (it's a little bike shop in Leicester, UK) - it's Columbus Max OR tubing with rigid forks (again Max OR) and I realise that the fact I'm still riding rigid after all these years really shows my age. My wrists are wearing out too. However, it's light as pie and flies across the hills. Bits: XT mechs and chainset, Dia-Compe PC3 levers, XT V-brakes, X-Lite titanium bar and bar ends, Use Alu post - creaks a bit with the titanuim Flite saddle rails, Mavic 531 rims on XT hubs, EggBeater pedals (really nice), and the best bit - Dura Ace shifters converted by ForgeMTB into superlight thumbshifters! The stem is a Club Roost square thing - I was too desperate to get the bike finished to wait for something better.

Here it is....

Nice bike, although,are those platforms?:confused:
jaz said:
Salsa Bandito built & specced to my personal requirements :p
Non%20drive%20side%20small.JPG

My bike is huffy :D
$150 bike from a cheap department store well it has done the trick managed a 6th in a national race with TT road race showed them all that equipment doesn't matter. Except the back derailler doesn't change gears as screwed and the back ball bearings make immmence amount fo noise when spinning the back wheels and the front wheel is majorly unaligned but otherwise great bike.

I ride a Cannondale Scalpel with an old (not rapid rise/flippy shifters) XT/XTR mix groupset and Hayes Mag brakes; boingboing wise a Lefty ELO front fork, and a Fox Float L rear shock which has been in dire need of repair for way too long now.

I always dreamed of owning a Scalpel but could never afford it, until there was an ultra cheap one in the local trading post late last year. Turns out that the shock and drivetrain were pretty much totaled, but the frame was fine. Deal was done, then transferred all the components from my CAAD5 hardtail, and with a bit of wheeling and dealing with my LBS, swapped the crapped out bits + the old hardtail frame for a nice new wheelset for my road bike.

I'm getting it back from the shop next week with the shocks rebuilt, and a niice new DT Swiss wheelset (DT 240 hubs, Supercomp spokes, XR4.1d rims)... can't wait!! :D I used the stuffed shock as an excuse not to enter any races this year, and now that it's fixed, I'm feeling fatter and nowhere near as fit as I used to be.. :(

I guess I don't have anything special. I just bought a Cannondale F400 in mid-February. It is fairly light and has large tubes. I picked it because it seems to fit me better than the others I looked at. I put semi-slick tires on last week. Recently, my odometer passed my first 1000 miles. Then yesterday, I rode 85 miles.

Hi all,

I've got the Merida Mission Speed '04.
If anyone has tips for this bike , i'd be glad to hear.

:) :D :) :D :) :D Paddlehappy

I have a Pace frameset. Not sure if anybody outside of the UK will know of these?
here's a link

https://www.pacecycles.com/product.asp?catID=1&subcat=441

Got Pace Suspension forks too. (not really a fan of shocks)

Got Hope mini Disc brakes, Hope Hubs, Hope Aheadset, RaceFace riser bar, Middleburn Cranks, RaceFace XY Seatpost, Flite Trans Alp Saddle, XT SPD's, Pace Stem.....er......think that's it. :)

just finished building up a specialized epic marathon
fsa team issue cranks, fox f100x fork, xtr shifters and rear derailleur, xt front derailleur, fsa carbon-k saddle, mike garcia wheels, avid brakes, 11-32 xt m760 cassette.

http://home.ix.netcom.com/~haste/bike/
check out the pics at my site.

I have a Cannondale Jekyll built up from a circa 2000 frame with assorted newer bits with a Lefty, black wheels with spokes and tyres and Hayes mech discs, which seem to work fine. Enjoyable. It's a bit heavy, but then again so am I, so no big complaints there.
I bought the Jekyll so I wouldn't wear out or wreck the love of my life on newly discovered singletrack riding : a Cannondale M1000 no suspension bike from around 1990 ish. What a great old bike. Fast, strong nice on the road or trails or wherever. Started out blue but I repainted it Mini Cooper Yellow with metallic. Picture attached is a look alike, but better without shocks.

Right now I ride an old KHS Montana Descent...probably originally thought of as a downhill bike, given the name, but I don't do that...especially since I live in FL. It was built rigid, but I added some cheap forks. I have a Trek Y26 on the way...a gift from the car company from which I purchased recently...not much of a full suspension, but at my advanced age, I'll take any suspension over none!!!:eek: I'll be interested to see how it rides. I don't ride hard...just some single or double track stuff, usually.