What kind of bike to get?

lpage3

May 24, 2010
This is my first post asking what kind of bike do I want to buy. I want one that will be used in NYC this summer and ultimately for college in St. Louis this coming fall. I would use this bike mainly for riding throughout the city and to and from classes. I would also occasionally want to use it for longer rides/exercise. Do I need multiple speeds? I'm pretty sure I don't want a fixed gear, but is there such a thing as a fixie with breaks because I definitely want breaks. Maybe a single speed? I definitely don't want to buy a frame or something and build; I'd like to buy the whole bicycle. My price range is around $400-$800 with a little flexibility. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If you are unsure of getting a fixed gear, i would cancel that out all together. There are skills in riding a fixed gear that most cyclists don't have, especially in traffic. A single speed is a good choice if the roads are mainly flat and are a good low maintenance option. However depending on how often and where you plan to go for fitness then gears maybe needed. Hybrid bikes are a good option for commuting as it adds comfort but also are pretty quick. Something like the Trek 7.3 or 7.2 are good options.

coneofsilence said:
If you are unsure of getting a fixed gear, i would cancel that out all together. There are skills in riding a fixed gear that most cyclists don't have, especially in traffic. A single speed is a good choice if the roads are mainly flat and are a good low maintenance option. However depending on how often and where you plan to go for fitness then gears maybe needed. Hybrid bikes are a good option for commuting as it adds comfort but also are pretty quick. Something like the Trek 7.3 or 7.2 are good options.

What types of riding call for speeds? And can you suggest any good one speeds?