What kind of brakes do you have

'96 Stumpy A1 with XT-Vs

My project bike has Avid mechanical discs and I LOVE them! But V-brakes are still excellent stopping power compared to the old skool cantis. Or worse yet, the aforementioned U-brakes with single pivots which didn't stop worth anything and it was more effective to use your feet.

I still have XT V's on my girlfriend's bike cuz like I said, they work great for general conditions. The discs work better for me at work so I don't kill myself going down the hills in the mud. :D

Disks for now... but I just got a new V brake frame for a new racing bike and Im going back to V brakes for weight issues.

I still have v's. My gary fisher Tassajara came equipped with deore v brakes, but has the brake posts for the discs. I don't have the money to buy new wheels and levers. Not to mention the brakes and rotors. I would give a lot to have a good enough job to be able to afford the upgrade! I think that what I'm going to do is wait for my current rims or hubs to bite the big one and then make the upgrade. This may be a while because I have mavic rims and deore hubs... maybe I'll somehow break a spoke or win the lotto even if I broke a spoke it probable wouldn't be a good enough incentive this week.:mad:

I've ridden friends bikes with disc brakes and have been jealous ever since!

King Fisher

I went from a no-name cant front/U-brake rear(DiaComp 990) to a full mech disc (8" front/ 6" rear). Maybe someday I'll try out those V-brakes.:p

mech discs. Love them. The control you have is amazing. I rode with V's for years and now I wonder why I didn't switch sooner.

XT-R V Brakes with Salsa brake boosters. Work very well. Only thing is when I am descending at over 30mph the front pulsates somewhat, must be the fork flexing or something.

I have tea Breaks.:D

As often as possible.

Seriously though, I like Magura Hydraulic rim brakes.

King Fisher said:
What exactly are (U) brakes?
They are old style cantilevers mounted under the chainstay with L shaped arms which cross over the top of the tyre so that the right shoe is pulled by the left side of the straddle wire.
They were popular in the late 80's but died out mainly because they were fiddly to adjust and collected a lot of mud, which is not really a problem for me as I never go off road on this converted commuting bike.

King Fisher said:
What exactly are (U) brakes?

Go to
www.danscomp.com
Find brakes, 990's are the same thing as u-brakes.

I have just switched from v's to disc, it is amazing. My old rim had a bend in the sidewall, made the brakes pulse. Don't have to worry about dumb things like that, or making adjustments all the time anymore.

V-brakes... not sure what kind, they say 'duramax'...isn't that like the lowest in the shimano line?

Anyway, I want to switch to a disc just for the front, but it'll cost too much to get a new wheel too. The v-brakes are fine, the only thing I don't like is the uneven braking from 'never-completely-perfect' rims.

Avid discs! Replaced the v's on my Tomac with them and then carried them over to the new GT when I got it and used them to replace the Shimano discs. I love these brakes! They are easy to set up and stop great.

Hardtail has -V

Full has -Avid mechanical disc (Broke Frame):(

DH Hayes -hydraulic disc

I like the Avids, great modulation and plenty of power when you need it

I have ridden about every type of canti (including magura hydraulics) and v-brake made I believe. I was always satified with XTR v-brakes. This year I switched to Magura Marta SL's, and I couldn't be more satisfied. These things work everywhere, even mud. There are so many advantages (pads last longer, you can switch wheels without worrying about readjusting--even to a 700c) that I just didn't realize before, and there isn't a great deal of weight penalty.
This is for XC riding/racing BTW.

Charlie
(first post!)