What kind of car do you have?

Whatever you get, do NOT get my car. The Mitsubishi Eclipse GTS is THE most bike-unfriendly car made.

Not only did my Thule rack not fit the roof (the shape is not flat enough and there are no flanges to hook it on), but the trunk rack I had won't fit over the damn spoiler.... so I have to take of my front wheel, and pop the rear seats down, and put it on a blanket (as my bike gets pretty dirty from constant riding and the interior is leather). So STAY AWAY from the Mitsu, ok?
:)
Dave

katstj said:
I'm trying to decide which car to buy and I was wondering which vehicles you all think would be the most bicycle-friendly. I am not considering pick-up trucks, just cars, mini-vans, and SUVs. I don't want to use a roof rack, so I'm thinking about hitch-mount carriers or putting the bike inside the vehicle. I would be particularly interested in hearing from people who transport their bikes inside mini-vans. I think I might have narrowed down my decision to the Subaru Forester, the Honda Pilot and Oddysey, and the Toyota Sienna.

All comments and advice will be greatly appreciated!

limerickman said:
I drive a two-litre Audi 80 : there is plenty of room for my bike.

In fact I brought two bikes in the boot (trunk in American) to an event recently and there was still plenty of room.
I have the same car and we have a Volvo estate as well - great for taking the bikes for a jaunt and I find them economical on aggreagate.

Plus side - great for family and like anything else - danger to others rests with how one drives or rides.:)

ClayPigeon said:
I have the same car and we have a Volvo estate as well - great for taking the bikes for a jaunt and I find them economical on aggreagate.

Plus side - great for family and like anything else - danger to others rests with how one drives or rides.:)
Clay Pigeon, I see you're from LANCASHIRE....Im from LANCASTER....yes, the ripoff of your city...lol....hell we even call ourselves the Red Rose City.

HoosierOLMO? said:
Clay Pigeon, I see you're from LANCASHIRE....Im from LANCASTER....yes, the ripoff of your city...lol....hell we even call ourselves the Red Rose City.
Hi there.

Am a Lancashire Hill Billy:) Live up in the hills - near Clitheroe. Pendle is nearby This is where the Lancashire witches who were hanged in Lancaster Prison alllegedly did their witchcraft.. There are processions up Pendle Hill every Hallowe'en.:eek: Like the area. Great cycling country (apart from the roundabout and the pinchpoint from hell....)

To give the main beauty spot of North West England a discreet plug on an international site :) - it's worth a visit for the creamy Lancashire cheese and real ale alone.:) Can rival Cumbria and the Dales for breathtaking rural scenery and I like living there. I can put up with a longish car commute to work knowing I have this area to ride about in when I get home and at weekends.

Just got her. 2006 Dodge Magnum R/T. Yea, it's got a HEMI.

mymag1.jpg

I just bought an '05 Honda Element and this thing is perfect for hauling bikes and gear! I have a Thule rack on top along with the optional 2 bike carriers inside the Element. I have both the rear seats out and have my road bike and mountain bike along with a huge gear bag in there full time. It's perfect I think! I know it's an ugly looking car, but my decision was based solely on buying a vehicle for just this purpose. My other car is an '04 Subaru WRX STi and I can't even fit my road bike in the trunk with both wheels off AND the seat removed... it just sucks!

jhuskey said:
I love my A4!
Advantage ,all wheel drive Quattro, handle nimbly and with a performance chip will move very nicely, but back to the subject I use my wife's Jeep Cherokee with a hitch mount to transport the bikes
It's too bad they don't make the Cherokee any more. After pulling the back seat out (which takes about 30 seconds), I can fit my bikes in the back without having to take the wheels off.

the Honda Element was designed for uses like cycling!
i think the Scion b would work very well also.

i'd go any Subie, Forester, Outback being at the top. the Toyota sienna is prolly a pretty good bet also. While i'm sure the pilot and oddessy would work for your bike(s) i don't like those cars as much.

i have a vauxhall vectra as my main car

i can get my MTB and my daughters bike in if i drop the back without taking any wheels off.

had it for over a year now so far its been ok.

I drive a Saturn Vue, which you can get with an internal 2 bike rack (remove front wheels), a roof rack or a hitch rack. I went with a different bike rack than they offer (Allen 4 bike hitch rack).

With the rear seat folded down, I could fit my Giant Sedona DX (Large size frame) in the back without removing the wheels by laying it down and sliding it in, but now I love just hanging it on a rack.

Even though I would never spend enough money on a bike to be terribly concerned if I scratched it, I do like to keep things nice, and use a piece of a foam noodle (the kind used for swimming pool play) between my bike and the rack (and any additional bikes) to protect everything. They hold on perfectly with a couple of mini (6 inch?) bungees. I use a big bungee to hold the bike's front wheel, and also secure the whole bike to the rack to keep it from swinging.

I have locked my bike to the rack with a cable lock a couple of times, but I usually only carry my bike to and from rides, so that usually doesn't happen. To remove the rack would be a little work, since it is bolted in... so when I lock the bike to the rack, it is as protected as it can be with a cable lock.

BMW M3 that just rolled over 100,000 miles.

93 Mazda RX-7 (the mini Viper looking one) powered by an aluminum Chevy smallblock v-8. Rotaries are for pussies.

I just traded in my old 1993 Mercury Sable (which needed a strap-on trunk rack for my bike) for a 2002 Volkswagen Passat GLX V6. It's a very fun to drive car, and with the fold-down rear seats (which you don't get with all-wheel drive) my bike fits in back very easily with the front wheel off. It's a very good looking car too, inside and out. It's almost as good looking well handling as my bike...almost. ;)

I am in the minority I guess. I'm not a redneck for sure, but damn I love Jeepin. I drive an 04 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with 33s, ARB runners, winch, hard top, rhino lined interior, ARB bumpers, PIAA and Hella aftermarket lights, 2" lift...I now realize I am talking to a bunch of guys who have no idea what I am saying...

PMThor said:
I am in the minority I guess. I'm not a redneck for sure, but damn I love Jeepin. I drive an 04 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with 33s, ARB runners, winch, hard top, rhino lined interior, ARB bumpers, PIAA and Hella aftermarket lights, 2" lift...I now realize I am talking to a bunch of guys who have no idea what I am saying...
I am Alec ... I know what are you talking about ..!!!

One more Honda Element owner here.

Just bought it last week. The other members weren't kidding when they said it's perfect for cycling. Fold the seats up, take 'em out, put the bike on the roof or a hitch rack. On a whim, I decided to try dropping a Slickfit Fastrak in the back... I swear, the thing was taylor-made specifically for the Element. It fits perfectly, within millimeters. It's a better choice than the Honda bike mount option because: (1) It's doesn't require drilling and is removable, (2) It's more stable than the Honda part and does not require stabilizing straps, and (3) you get two adjustable mounts for the price of one Honda mount.

I've got a Thule roof rack on order to take my bike hauling capacity up to four+.