What kind of diet do you follow?

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by Beastt, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Beastt

Beastt New Member

Diet seems to be a popular topic here (cycling forums), and I've seen a few comments as to special diets people have chosen for themselves in some of the other threads. Since cycling is as much about human performance as anything else, I thought it might be interesting to find out what kind of special diets people find seem to work best for them. I'm not talking specifically about diets designed just to lose weight. It's difficult to represent all the possibilities in just a few options so I apologize for any obvious omissions.

Tags:

2. Adam-from-SLO

Adam-from-SLO New Member

I eat what ever my body craves.

I have a high motabolizim..... , and I weigh 153 lbs.... 5' 11"

I mainly have a light breakfast.... , do my best to get a ride in around 11am-2pm... typically, although I do manage to ride to work about 3 days per week(only 8 miles round trip). After a ride... or around 1-2pm on a non ride day.. I tend to EAT BIG for lunch(Pasta, Pizza, Salad, Soup, meats.... chicken.. fish- Albacore). Then I'll eat again around 5-6pm ....... , and again later at night-snack... about 9pm. My work scheduale is Tues-Friday 3pm-2am ..... so I am a bit of a night owl.

When I eat.... I eat:D

3. 2LAP

2LAP New Member

I'm a veggie and have been for a few years. Made the change initialy so that I didn't have to eat the same foods as my housemates and then found that I had more energy so stuck with it.

I feel that is benefited my cycling and health (however these are hard to demonstrate); but wouldn't recomend people becoming veggie unless they want to do some reading. Veggie diets can cause more problems than they solve and might not be right for everyone. The more time goes on I have realised that I continue to eat veggie as much for animal issues as for my own benefit.

4. larry barr

larry barr New Member

I hate people like you :D . I am 6' 170 - 175 and watch every morsel that goes past my lips. I basically eat the same thing from breakfast through lunch and a normal dinner, though with lots of veggies or salad.

5. firegooroo

firegooroo New Member

Listen the person that hate that kind of person is me. Up to 6 months ago I weighed in at 220lbs and I'm only 5'6" I now weigh 179lbs but I still need to go down to 165lbs to be in contention for a good race. My first race is on Sunday 3/7 and I'm not at race weight. Go figure. Any how I follow the South Beach Diet, it has worked really well for me with some modifications during hard training ride days.

6. larry barr

larry barr New Member

Great for you to get to where you are. Keep up the good work.

7. Nitromike

Nitromike New Member

I'm the one people seriously hate, 5'10" and eating 4-5k calories a day, weigh 165 lbs and maintaining that only by eating as much as I do. If I go back to a normal diet I drop back to 150-155 pretty quickly. Definitely not young either, 33 years old.

8. larry barr

larry barr New Member

You are right, we do hate you!!!!:D

9. stevek

stevek New Member

rightn ow my body is pretty wacky with a candidia overgrowth. wheat is a big no no and sugar. though fruit seems fine. befroe I knew what was going on I had to eat a lot of protien for any energy. I hope that will change.

10. Danneh

Danneh New Member

You keep saying how crazy your body, maybe you are actually completly f*c*ed, im a microbiologist and Candida overgrowth occurs due to a abnormal gut flora or if you are immunocompromised. I cant understand why you put money before you heath. I dont mean to sound rude or cause offence but you do come across as a bit of hypocondriac. Get the doc to diagnose you not the web.

11. stevek

stevek New Member

about 15 years ago I had a lot of antibiotcs for stomach problems. every since then I have had problems. no doctor has been able to help out really. Just staying away fro mthe foods that effect me driking kefir (that has helped out quite a bit) and knocking down the candida should take care of it. it sure can't hurt. I ahve quite a few of the sysmptoms it causes though none of then but the food allergies are very bad.
    hypocondriac ? hell no I could care less about being sick I don't want to be sick and i am finally working towards solving it. but for the food allergy problems I have not been sick in years not even a cold. I plan on getting even better now.

12. steevo

steevo New Member

5'9 140.

i work as a messenger and typically eat 3000 k/cal per day. seomtimes I stuff myself and nearly double that, but never go under. vegetarian

13. Fixey

Fixey New Member

I hate the bloodly lot of you :mad:
    5' 11" 120kg, (270 pound?)

my diet has just changed again....breakfast = porridge + prot powder
    MT = brownbread sammy
    lunch = chicken and veggies
    AT = protien shake with fruit
    tea = chicken and leafy greens

my last diet was amazing,
    breakfast = rolled oats, protien shake and a stack (asprin, Ephedrine, and no-dose (caffine))
    next 4 meals = chiken and 3 cups veg
    supper = protein shake

amazing weight loss, 40kg in 4 months
    amazing how fast it went back on
    amazing it didnt bloody kill me :rolleyes:

14. larry barr

larry barr New Member

This is coming from a guy that lost 50 pounds last year and has kept it off. You can't think of it as a diet. If you do that means that you will probably go back to the old bad habits once the weight is gone. It has to be a commitment to a wholesale change in how and what you eat. That is not to say you can't indulge once in a while. I am now 170 lbs at 6', workout/ride every day and at the max eat 2000 cals a day.

15. mmpc001

mmpc001 New Member

I've been following the Atkins plan for about 6 months and have lost nearly 50lbs. I feel great and - while I have yet to attempt a century - my energy level has improved a lot. I have no problems with bonking, in other words, during my average 10-15 miles mtb rides. BTW, I'm 5'11" and was nearly 300lbs. when I started - now down to about 250 with more to go...

16. ibike73

ibike73 New Member

5'10" between 190-195lbs. (summer weight). I pretty much just eat healthy food. I stay away from snacky/junk foods, my snacks consist of fruit many. For meals:

Breakfast (8am):
    -yogurt
    -3 eggs in a low carb wrap with cheese and hot salsa

Banana mid-morning (9-10am)

Ride ( I work nights so I ride mid/late morning)

Recovery drink (Endurox)

Lunch (2pm)
    -Sandwich on rye bread w/ leattuce and tomato. The meat portion varies.

Snack (5pm): Apple

Dinner (7pm):
    -Chicken, fish, or steak w/ mixed veggies

Late snack (9-10pm): Orange.

It seems like I eat alot. And most people would probably say that I could eat less to drop some pounds. But I am 190lbs at @ 7-8% body fat during the summer. I use to body build. I just can not get ride of the large frame the has not gone away.

Ron

17. JAPANic

JAPANic New Member

I was an Atkins sceptic, and had success in 96 on a high carb 'Fit For Life' program, but went off course and put on a lot of weight....

87kg to 75 to 87 to 94...... that was over a 7 year span.....
    went from 80 to 68 12 years ago, and really want to level off at 75. (I'm 172cm tall).

Just did a tour of London & Ireland where I was on English Breakfasts everyday and running off my feet doing the tourist thing.... picked up the Atkins book at a supermarket out of curiosity and decided to test it...

Been at it just 5 days now and have dropped 3 kgs and my BMI has gone from 28% to 26%....

Will I be able to stick to it?

One question I have: I have a race in 2 weeks time.

Are all these ketones in my blood and lack of carbs going to be dangerous in any way?

The race is a team 8 hour deal , where we take turns doing about 40kms/h.... am I going to drop dead without a supply of carbs or can I fly along on my ketome overload????

18. mmpc001

mmpc001 New Member

Hi JAPANic. I've been doing Atkins for almost 6 months now while riding nearly every day. I think you'll be able to stick with it - things are easier now (at least in the U.S.) - with low-carb food items nearly everywhere.

I've never done a race like the one you mentioned - so I'm not going to sit here and tell you "no problem." I did find this article interesting, however: http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/11/28-742445.html

Yes, it's on Atkins' site, but it also has good references. If you fear losing energy, you can also try these (if available where you are): http://www.powerbar.com/Products/ProteinPlus/Flavors/main.asp?pt=cs and http://championlyte.net/products/championlyte.asp.

Or, you can just go with more carbs on your ride days and cut back again afterwards. Keep us updated - I'll be interested to learn what you decide and how it works out for you...

19. SilentGTboy

SilentGTboy New Member

I eat everything, last Saturday I was out in orlando and I ate 7 donuts then went and had Mc Donalds. I'm 6'1" and 145 pounds. I've been looking for some food sugestions. I heard peanutbutter and jelly W/ Honey and banna's is good and I'm still looking for more suggestions. I bike about 3-4 hours a day if I do bike that day. I try biking everyday. I always get in atleast 20 miles though sunday going to church though. I'm going back tonight and that will make 40 miles for today.

20. tokki

tokki New Member

I dont know how to classify it. Macrobiotic? Semi-vegeterian? I get most of my protein from tofu, which I eat about 10 times a week. Then from tuna, squid, eggs, fish. Meat? I dont touch it much nowadays. I maybe have a meat meal once every two weeks. I get a lot of carbs though from rice and fruit. usually two bowls of rice a day and some bananas or apples too. I dont buy the whole carb restriction thing for me because Im super active. I dont really touch sugar. I dont drink sweet drinks. That means sodas and juices. I do drink tons of barly tea or green tea that I make in a big pot and then store in my fridge. Tons of veggies,mostly cabbage and spinach. I try to eat dark greens a lot. Fast food like pizza or burgers or whatever once a month.