What kind of diet do you follow?

Originally posted by mmpc001
Wow - here we go again. Well, I could spend the next hour linking you to independent sites that disprove every one of your assertions about Atkins, but it's honestly not worth my time to do it AGAIN. Besides, you're so anti-low-carb anyway it wouldn't matter. We'll just have to agree to disagree. In parting, though, I'd like to suggest that instead of insulting people ("why don't you try reading a basic physiology book"), how about YOU actually read the Atkins book before you fly off and make all sorts of false, uneducated and vitriolic statments...

Now, have yourself a great day... :)

Human physiology has the last word on Atkins and that word isn't supportive of it. Your body simply wasn't designed to subsist on such a diet and if you force it, there are problems. It's your body. You do what you want to do but if you look into what your body's construction tells you about the foods it's intended to digest, you'll find Atkins is out the window.

Atkins works because the body isn't designed to make the most of that kind of diet. It effectively short-circuits the body's ability to extract the nutrients which is why the body then turns to burning fat for energy. It may be effective for weight loss but overall it's not a good thing.

Atkins books tend to be in favor of Atkins, (go figure). But if you look into man's teeth, saliva, salivary glands, skin, fingernails, digestive enzymes, digestive acids and the length, shape and routing of the digestive tract, you'll find that the Atkins books are full of misinformation.

Originally posted by Beastt
Atkins works because the body isn't designed to make the most of that kind of diet. It effectively short-circuits the body's ability to extract the nutrients which is why the body then turns to burning fat for energy. It may be effective for weight loss but overall it's not a good thing.

Although this is the theory that Atkins advocates push (that calories consumed are not processed - a ketonic state), I think research is suggesting that it's just that you lose your appetite if you eat all fat and protein. A high level of satiety leads to reduced calorie intake. Ketones have a minimal and neglible impact on the calories in calories out equation, which still holds true.

Originally posted by Roadie_scum
Although this is the theory that Atkins advocates push (that calories consumed are not processed - a ketonic state), I think research is suggesting that it's just that you lose your appetite if you eat all fat and protein. A high level of satiety leads to reduced calorie intake. Ketones have a minimal and neglible impact on the calories in calories out equation, which still holds true.

Take a broad look around at what studies are showing concerning the body's ability to convert protein to energy and the efficiency of burning fat for energy as opposed to using carbohydrates. Let me know what you find.

Originally posted by Beastt
Take a broad look around at what studies are showing concerning the body's ability to convert protein to energy and the efficiency of burning fat for energy as opposed to using carbohydrates. Let me know what you find.

There is no metabolically available protein. However, amino acids can be converted into fats and then metabolised. I don't need to look at a study to find out what is already in every textbook.

Similarly, ketogenic processes have been recognised since at least 1863. Ketonuria does not exceed 100 calories a day except in diabetics, which is unlikely to be a significant factor in weight loss. I'm not sure why you bring up efficiency. (Burning fat for energy is as efficient as burning carbohydrate, provided some carbohydrate is metabolically available).

100 calories is unlikely to significantly effect the calories in/calories out equation. If you know of reasearch that suggests a greater ketogenic effect, I would be interested to see it.

Originally posted by Roadie_scum
There is no metabolically available protein. However, amino acids can be converted into fats and then metabolised. I don't need to look at a study to find out what is already in every textbook.

Similarly, ketogenic processes have been recognised since at least 1863. Ketonuria does not exceed 100 calories a day except in diabetics, which is unlikely to be a significant factor in weight loss. I'm not sure why you bring up efficiency. (Burning fat for energy is as efficient as burning carbohydrate, provided some carbohydrate is metabolically available).

100 calories is unlikely to significantly effect the calories in/calories out equation. If you know of reasearch that suggests a greater ketogenic effect, I would be interested to see it.

Thank you, that's all I was looking for. Perhaps I should start mixing 10% energy gel with 90% Crisco shortening. It would certainly stretch the expensive energy gels.

good carbs (whole wheats only, brown rice), good fats (olive oil. NO trans fats!), veggies, veggies, veggies!, lean beef, fish, chicken, turkey... cheese, dairy... clean eating!

mmpc001 said:
I've been following the Atkins plan for about 6 months and have lost nearly 50lbs. I feel great and - while I have yet to attempt a century - my energy level has improved a lot. I have no problems with bonking, in other words, during my average 10-15 miles mtb rides. BTW, I'm 5'11" and was nearly 300lbs. when I started - now down to about 250 with more to go...
On average, about how many calories do you take in a day on Atkins?

I'm 5'5", 205 lbs. I ate mostly clean foods, try to stay away from junk for the most part. I cheat once a week. I weight lift so my goals are slightly different than most people on these forums. I'm a calorie counter and it has worked the best for me. My current metabolic rate is about 3500 cals but I net about 2700-3200 cals per day. I started dieting down this June and was weighing in at 218. Riding has been crucial for me because it's a great way to burn extra calories. 400-800 cals depending on the length/intensity of the ride. I burn at least 1600 cals per week riding. Not a whole lot but it helps.

Check this out. It estimates the number of calories burned for hundreds of different activities (including cycling).

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.html

The one thing that bothers me about some of the posts in this thread involve the Atkin's diet and exercise. The body uses glycogen for fast energy if your body doesn't have glycogen to burn your body will break down protein, your muscles, to make energy. Fat gets burned as well but it does not get metabolised by itself, the body uses glycogen in the process of burning fat. So if you go on a 3-hour low intensity bike ride with just water you'll burn some fat and you'll also breakdown some of your muscle after you body has finished burning it's stored glycogen. Which defeats the purpose of exercise.

To keep with the thread I eat a diet of fruits, vegetables, pasta, chicken, pizza, and alcohol. No sodas and no fast food for me. Although I will go to a buffet and eat until I am stuffed. I pretty much eat whatever foods I want, not to be confused with I eat everything in sight (except at a buffet).

cHiLLy

We can all argue our points about low-carb, low-fat, low-whatever, but the fact is, people want the fastest, easiest way to the end result. I am as guilty as the next person. I tried Atkins and lost 20 lbs in 2 weeks. But I didn't stick with it and gained it all back. I think most people want to see the weight loss but aren't able to commit to the huge change in lifestyle it would require to stick with it. I tried the 6-week body make-over. Has anyone tried that??? My God, that was aweful!! They give you the "Infinite Menu Planner" but tell you to only eat certain things from it. Mine was chicken and tuna. While I like them both, I can't eat them all the time. And no salt!! Yeesh! On this, you're not only counting calories, watching portion sizes and taking in very little carbs, you have to count every gram of sodium. I have never had such bland food! I made it 4 days on that one. I became obsessed with eating while I was on it. If you've never tried, save yourself the time and money. It's a horrible diet.

To the topic, I think it just comes down to sensible eating habits. Good, wholesome food, chicken, fish, beef, veggies, fruit, grains, dairy, all in moderation. My opinion is that most (but bot all) of the problem comes from portion sizes. People eat far too much. And again, I'm guilty. If something is really good, I want more. I do have a gut and could stand to lose some weight but I'm not about to drop dead from a heart attack. I ride, I'm trying to watch waht and how much I eat. Just keep it sensible.

My 2 cents.

trekryder said:
We can all argue our points about low-carb, low-fat, low-whatever, but the fact is, people want the fastest, easiest way to the end result. I am as guilty as the next person. I tried Atkins and lost 20 lbs in 2 weeks. But I didn't stick with it and gained it all back. I think most people want to see the weight loss but aren't able to commit to the huge change in lifestyle it would require to stick with it. I tried the 6-week body make-over. Has anyone tried that??? My God, that was aweful!! They give you the "Infinite Menu Planner" but tell you to only eat certain things from it. Mine was chicken and tuna. While I like them both, I can't eat them all the time. And no salt!! Yeesh! On this, you're not only counting calories, watching portion sizes and taking in very little carbs, you have to count every gram of sodium. I have never had such bland food! I made it 4 days on that one. I became obsessed with eating while I was on it. If you've never tried, save yourself the time and money. It's a horrible diet.

To the topic, I think it just comes down to sensible eating habits. Good, wholesome food, chicken, fish, beef, veggies, fruit, grains, dairy, all in moderation. My opinion is that most (but bot all) of the problem comes from portion sizes. People eat far too much. And again, I'm guilty. If something is really good, I want more. I do have a gut and could stand to lose some weight but I'm not about to drop dead from a heart attack. I ride, I'm trying to watch waht and how much I eat. Just keep it sensible.

My 2 cents.
Oddly enough, if you limit your food choices to those things dictated by human physiology, you can still eat most of the things that dieters are warned away from while still finding and maintaining a healthy weight. If people insisted that every meal should be accompanied by 3 large avocados, most would likely find that no matter how much they tried to count calories and cut back on other foods, they'd still have a problem with carrying too much weight. Certainly it is about adopting a different way of eating and continuing to eat that way. Anything temporary will provide, at best, temporary results. Hunt down the most calorically dense portion of each meal and set it aside. Then eat to satiety and watch the weight gradually fade away.

Ok i have a serious question that I would love answered. The following is my daily routine and diet, as of now. What i would like is some advice on if this is good and any advice on what i should be doing different to loose wieght fast but healthy.

breakfast: cliff bar & starbucs latte (dialy vitamin pill, cynthroid pill, and trimspa)

lunch: either a sandwich with whole grain bread&white meat, or a salad from quiznos. (another trimspa pill)

snack: if i snack its usually fruit.

excercise(all cycling)usually 20+mile rides, one day hill climb, and the one day of indian sprints, and the only two days of rest. i do use dumbells at home.

dinner: white meat or fish. vegatables (usually a pre-mixed jolly green giant), for desert a light yougurt.

snack: fruit either apple, or kiwi.

during the day lots and lots of water.

no alchahol or soda.

so what should i change to get rid of this extra wieght fast?

JungleJesus said:
Ok i have a serious question that I would love answered. The following is my daily routine and diet, as of now. What i would like is some advice on if this is good and any advice on what i should be doing different to loose wieght fast but healthy.

breakfast: cliff bar & starbucs latte (dialy vitamin pill, cynthroid pill, and trimspa)

lunch: either a sandwich with whole grain bread&white meat, or a salad from quiznos. (another trimspa pill)

snack: if i snack its usually fruit.

excercise(all cycling)usually 20+mile rides, one day hill climb, and the one day of indian sprints, and the only two days of rest. i do use dumbells at home.

dinner: white meat or fish. vegatables (usually a pre-mixed jolly green giant), for desert a light yougurt.

snack: fruit either apple, or kiwi.

during the day lots and lots of water.

no alchahol or soda.

so what should i change to get rid of this extra wieght fast?

Not sure how much you are trying to lose, but that looks like a damn healthy diet. If you are not already doing so, I would change the latte to a skim latte. Other wise just keep with the program. I might also add a little more weight training to the program and more miles if you have the time. Perhaps work out in the morning and also at night, again time permitting.

larry barr said:
Not sure how much you are trying to lose, but that looks like a damn healthy diet. If you are not already doing so, I would change the latte to a skim latte. Other wise just keep with the program. I might also add a little more weight training to the program and more miles if you have the time. Perhaps work out in the morning and also at night, again time permitting.

If I were you, and I will be...

I'd have the fruit snacks first in the morning...

fruit goes throught the system pretty quickly and gives you lots of energy. By having the fruit early on an empty stomach, it will get into your intestines quickly and not rot on top of fats & proteins that can take hours to digest.

THe fruits are good at hydrating your body, that Latte in the morning will dehydrate you and may cause you to have the trots...

You don't want fruit sitting in your stomach fermenting...that's where all your farts come from....

I'd cut back on any dairy and margarine & butter... olive oil can do the trick on bread.

If you can do all your snacking before noon on fruits you will be well hydrated and won't need to drink all that water.

Water sitting in your stomach for lunch and dinner is only going to dilute the stomach acids which means your body has to work even harder to digest your lunch & dinner. That energy used in digesting could have been put to work by your body in eliminating wastes... that's where the fruits are good in the morning. Your blood will be cleaner and your intestines should be almost empty by noon.

You may not even feel hungry at lunch time. But what you have for lunch and dinner sounds good so stick to that....

Just remember fruits want to get out of your stomach within 20 to 30 minutes and they don't want to be held up with fish & steak,,,pewwww!

Save your proteins for night time....the body likes to build when you are sleeping not when you're running around... having proteins in the morning will make you sleepy as they are harder to digest...

What do you think?

JAPANic said:
If I were you, and I will be...

I'd have the fruit snacks first in the morning...

fruit goes throught the system pretty quickly and gives you lots of energy. By having the fruit early on an empty stomach, it will get into your intestines quickly and not rot on top of fats & proteins that can take hours to digest.

THe fruits are good at hydrating your body, that Latte in the morning will dehydrate you and may cause you to have the trots...

You don't want fruit sitting in your stomach fermenting...that's where all your farts come from....

I'd cut back on any dairy and margarine & butter... olive oil can do the trick on bread.

If you can do all your snacking before noon on fruits you will be well hydrated and won't need to drink all that water.

Water sitting in your stomach for lunch and dinner is only going to dilute the stomach acids which means your body has to work even harder to digest your lunch & dinner. That energy used in digesting could have been put to work by your body in eliminating wastes... that's where the fruits are good in the morning. Your blood will be cleaner and your intestines should be almost empty by noon.

You may not even feel hungry at lunch time. But what you have for lunch and dinner sounds good so stick to that....

Just remember fruits want to get out of your stomach within 20 to 30 minutes and they don't want to be held up with fish & steak,,,pewwww!

Save your proteins for night time....the body likes to build when you are sleeping not when you're running around... having proteins in the morning will make you sleepy as they are harder to digest...

What do you think?

That is interesting. I never really considered layering my food like that. I tend to eat fairly lightly and have several pieces of fruit throughout the course of the day. However, I am not trying to lose weight.

larry barr said:
That is interesting. I never really considered layering my food like that. I tend to eat fairly lightly and have several pieces of fruit throughout the course of the day. However, I am not trying to lose weight.

Sorry, I meant to be posting to the guy before you...

I used the layering approach 8 years ago, and lost 8kgs in 2 months and was in great shape with plenty of energy... from the Fit For Life books...

JAPANic said:
Sorry, I meant to be posting to the guy before you...

I used the layering approach 8 years ago, and lost 8kgs in 2 months and was in great shape with plenty of energy... from the Fit For Life books...

I knew you were. I just found the concept interesting as I do tend to eat alot of fruit. Based on my eating habits I would say that the fruit is well gone by the time I eat anything else.

i dont eat junky food but i use snuff, and thats made of tobaco so.,.
i try to eat alot of pasta,.,. and not so much meat.,. i use protein powder instead.,. and BANANAS of course .,.:),

Sausage Kolaches, orange juice, and a Latte for breakfast

Salad or sandwich with chips, cookies and a litre or so of water for lunch

snacking for the rest of the day. Tonight I'm having pizza.

But throughout the day I usually drink 1.5 to 2 gallons of water.