What kind of diet do you follow?

closesupport said:
eating a low carb diet should work as effective as any other as long as you consume the calories that you require for each day, if you eat to much carbs they'll get stored as fat if not used up. simple if you don't eat enough then your body either goes into goes into starvation mode and stores everything it can for the next time if it continues to experience starvation then it canabolises (catabolism) itself if it continues.

i eat what ever i want i'm 5'8" i weigh 161lb and have an overall body fat of 1.85% i consume some 4 - 5000 calories a day. i mainly eat meat, although i do from time to time feel the tendency to pig out on potatoes and veg just to fill me up, other times its deep fried whatever i can get my hands on. whats it matter where the calories are comming from as long as i get an energy turnover its a good source for me.

Sugar what the hell give me 6 in a coffee all the more calories all the more energy, i am active

ohh did i forget to mention i'm 31 with a 28" waiste

I'd be interested to know how you measured your body fat. It would seem to be terribly low to the point of not providing sufficient stored fat for energy. Especially not for an endurance athlete, (assuming you're a cyclist). Did you use an electronic measuring device, calipers or were you tested by submersion in a water tank?

Body Mass Index may not be the best measure of your overall condition but it may provide a general idea. Based on the information you provided, your BMI is 24.5. I picked an online BMI calculator site pretty much at random and it shows the following BMI catagories;

· Normal weight = 18.5-24.9
· Overweight = 25-29.9
· Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bminojs.htm

Based on that information, I find your claim of 1.85% body fat a bit well.... questionable.

As pointed out on another thread, carbs are only stored as fat under extreme conditions - conditions which most people never really experience. (Thank you, BioChemGuy.) Rest assured it does matter where the calories come from. Take a look at what pro-cyclists eat during the training and racing seasons, (or just about any other professional athletes). They're unlikely to be consuming large amounts of fried foods and most will probably be reducing their intake of red meat and other fatty foods.

There is a bit of danger in the recommendation of a diet based on singular anecdotal experience. What works for you is unlikely to work for the vast majority of people and, were you to undergo a comprehensive cardiac check-up after another 15-years of eating the diet you've outlined here, the odds suggest that it's not working for you as well as you assume it is.

JAPANic said:
Do you have a 10 meter long tape worm?

:eek:

I've been trying to increase my metabolism for over a year now.... still not active enough.....

Age is a factor too. THe older you get the harder it gets....
no i used to train 4 times a day (circuit training, circuit training in the gym with weight machines and free weights with little time for recovery (at little over 60% max weight)), cycling, but running alone over 100miles a week, that included a 26mile run every 2 weeks with cycling\Hiking on sundays) ohh plus the sauna on fridays,

is that why i have skin over my body, but skin alone no adipose here my friend and you said body fat, not body mass index.

as for not enough stored body fat i finished 26miles in under 2hrs 40 i like to put 3hrs so i can loose the term endurance Athlete!

closesupport said:
no i used to train 4 times a day (circuit training, circuit training in the gym with weight machines and free weights with little time for recovery (at little over 60% max weight)), cycling, but running alone over 100miles a week, that included a 26mile run every 2 weeks with cycling\Hiking on sundays) ohh plus the sauna on fridays,

is that why i have skin over my body, but skin alone no adipose here my friend and you said body fat, not body mass index.

Athlete!

At 1.85% body fat you would be unlikely to be fit and healthy enough to be an athlete. How was this measurement taken?

What events do you do? From your training you sound like a multisport/adventure racing type. Is that right?

closesupport said:
as for not enough stored body fat i finished 26miles in under 2hrs 40 i like to put 3hrs so i can loose the term endurance Athlete!

Congratulations on taking 40 minutes off your marathon PB since you posted to the Caffeine and Ephedrine thread!

What course did you run this on?

Roadie_scum said:
At 1.85% body fat you would be unlikely to be fit and healthy enough to be an athlete. How was this measurement taken?

What events do you do? From your training you sound like a multisport/adventure racing type. Is that right?
no i was obsessed i was addicted to exercise and chemicals produced and how to produce more. but i was very fit because of it. pinch test of body fat well i'll refraise that pinch test of skin.

i am 5 9' and weigh 120 lbs i flow no diet but eat Very little soda i ushley start the day off with a bawls guarana "high cafinated energey drink" 2 times the strenth of red bull that make me go fast an burn off all i have eaten then when i get home i eat a normal sized lunch then head out agen till dinner and eat a meat, grean and, starch that works for me :)

Roadie_scum said:

read it at the bottom i put 3hrs so not to boaste, but my PB is under that as i stateted at my prefared weight. i used to follow a royal marines (commando training course) that included Yomps or tabbing since i used to carry weight over long distances, i prefare to call it hiking, truthfully makes it alot easier to cover the distance without that weight.

closesupport said:
no i was obsessed i was addicted to exercise and chemicals produced and how to produce more. but i was very fit because of it. pinch test of body fat well i'll refraise that pinch test of skin.

With calipers? That makes more sense. That's a reasonably inaccurate method of determining body composition, especially for someone with very low levels. It also depends on the skill and experience of the person administering, but even the best is unlikely to be very accurate in the low range.

Do you realise that having a body fat of 1.85% isn't something to be proud off, it would actually be unhealthy and strange - you would look inhuman rather than fit. I think it's more likely you were very fit and in the range of 4-6%.

closesupport said:
read it at the bottom i put 3hrs so not to boaste, but my PB is under that as i stateted at my prefared weight. i used to follow a royal marines (commando training course) that included Yomps or tabbing since i used to carry weight over long distances, i prefare to call it hiking, truthfully makes it alot easier to cover the distance without that weight.

Sorry, I'm not understanding. You have run 2:40? On a calibrated course? Which one?

That's a very impressive result!

Roadie_scum said:
Sorry, I'm not understanding. You have run 2:40? On a calibrated course? Which one?

That's a very impressive result!
mine crosscountry from ince in wigan to (wheelton bottany bay) along the canal which is 11miles, the 11miles took little over an hour to complete, with 4 miles golf course railways and woods, of various terrain that was ran relatively easy since the terrain enforced a sensible running speed. maintaining around 5.20 per mles average

i'm glad i never through away any of my old training diarys.

for the record

-----------
(68.5) x (68.5) x 703= 21.124 was my BMI
(4692.25)

sorry that may loo a little missleading i had to tavel home again along the canal which was a return of 11miles but i used to stop the clock there. i then had a recovery (walking from that point to home which was a further 10minutes warm down) since i didn't go the way my run started.

closesupport said:
eating a low carb diet should work as effective as any other as long as you consume the calories that you require for each day, if you eat to much carbs they'll get stored as fat if not used up. simple if you don't eat enough then your body either goes into goes into starvation mode and stores everything it can for the next time if it continues to experience starvation then it canabolises (catabolism) itself if it continues.

i eat what ever i want i'm 5'8" i weigh 161lb and have an overall body fat of 1.85% i consume some 4 - 5000 calories a day. i mainly eat meat, although i do from time to time feel the tendency to pig out on potatoes and veg just to fill me up, other times its deep fried whatever i can get my hands on. whats it matter where the calories are comming from as long as i get an energy turnover its a good source for me.

Sugar what the hell give me 6 in a coffee all the more calories all the more energy, i am active

ohh did i forget to mention i'm 31 with a 28" waiste

You don't have a bodyfat percentage of 1.85%. Let me guess, you did a skin fold with calipers to get that number? Most people don't know how to use calipers correctly. A guy at my gym used calipers and said he had 3% bodyfat. I have been trained to use calipers and when I tested his bodyfat with calipers his true bodyfat was 8%

There has never been a human in reccorded history with a 1.85% bodyfat. Most people die at around 3% bodyfat.

BiochemGuy said:
You don't have a bodyfat percentage of 1.85%. Let me guess, you did a skin fold with calipers to get that number? Most people don't know how to use calipers correctly. A guy at my gym used calipers and said he had 3% bodyfat. I have been trained to use calipers and when I tested his bodyfat with calipers his true bodyfat was 8%

There has never been a human in reccorded history with a 1.85% bodyfat. Most people die at around 3% bodyfat.

Thank you and Roadie_Scum both for the verification on that. I kept checking the bottom of my shoe but didn't see anything, despite the fact that my nose kept telling me something was wrong.

;)

I go with basically eat anything in moderation. Staying near my daily calorie intake and my riding schedule allows me to burn calories of pizza, cheese burger, etc....and still lose weight.

BiochemGuy said:

That's exactly what I was going to post. Based on your height/weight it sounds like you got quite a bit of muscle mass. This is one thing that can screw up a caliper test (SIGNIFICANT muscle tone). Time to get hydrostatically tested....

L

Lonnie Utah said:
That's exactly what I was going to post. Based on your height/weight it sounds like you got quite a bit of muscle mass. This is one thing that can screw up a caliper test (SIGNIFICANT muscle tone). Time to get hydrostatically tested....

L
no need to no more mate, i'm just returning from an injury and since i haven't trained for sometime i have put some weight on.....

im upto 11.5 stone, since running isnt the activity i am wanting to pursue, A leg injury done that. i ain't going to beable to better without a lot of preperation, not something i want to subject myself to again.... all though it was fun.

i now have family commitments at the time didn't have them. i have no proof to back up any of my claims apart from training diaries. But now i ride and try to avoid the obssession.

5yrs and still affraid to run due to a bone density and overtrainig issues.

closesupport said:
no need to no more mate, i'm just returning from an injury and since i haven't trained for sometime i have put some weight on.....

im upto 11.5 stone, since running isnt the activity i am wanting to pursue, A leg injury done that. i ain't going to beable to better without a lot of preperation, not something i want to subject myself to again.... all though it was fun.

i now have family commitments at the time didn't have them. i have no proof to back up any of my claims apart from training diaries. But now i ride and try to avoid the obssession.

5yrs and still affraid to run due to a bone density and overtrainig issues.

You are a big time BS!

zaskar said:

You are a big time BS!
unfortunately not at the time mate! Bread and butter puddings, brown rice turkey, chicken, pasta plus 4 times a day training,saunas......... etc with a shredded look, (was mainly doing body building at the time) but running took over.......

BS as it may..i can't prove otherwise other than a photo that have and i do look really ill on and extremly gaunt but i could still run my best, etc....... thats what i eat now, unfortunately i cant run so weight really isn't an issue anymore, nor do i do body building, i just cycle and work now adays.

be it on the roads on the hills or on the track. gotta get my fix from somewhere, but not to the extremems of those days...

Ohh and by the way i was reminissing from body fat thing, not what i am now, still got a 6 pack though and my quads show and my legs and calves are growing again, but after over 6 years 2years suffering from physical and mental exhaustion, exercise induced osteoporosis, depression, malaise and
malnutrition. but i felt good until it was to late, thats why i always say ensure you get enough to eat and enough rest, i would hate anyone to suffer the same as i did. i eat anything now doesn't matter what it is, but some weeks i eat alot more. Truth of the matter being i read books on nutrition to late, i was burning off far more calories than i was consumming. It cost me my running my health, even my freedom, but no matter how far i ran i could never get away from being me, no matter how hard i trained i couldn't forget who i was either. Running permitted me to forget for a while, somedays longer than others, but when i finished i felt good about myself.

I'm proud of my achievement, i just wish i understood at the time what i was doing to myself.

closesupport said:
unfortunately not at the time mate! Bread and butter puddings, brown rice turkey, chicken, pasta plus 4 times a day training,saunas......... etc with a shredded look, (was mainly doing body building at the time) but running took over.......

BS as it may..i can't prove otherwise other than a photo that have and i do look really ill on and extremly gaunt but i could still run my best, etc....... thats what i eat now, unfortunately i cant run so weight really isn't an issue anymore, nor do i do body building, i just cycle and work now adays.

be it on the roads on the hills or on the track. gotta get my fix from somewhere, but not to the extremems of those days...

Ohh and by the way i was reminissing from body fat thing, not what i am now, still got a 6 pack though and my quads show and my legs and calves are growing again, but after over 6 years 2years suffering from physical and mental exhaustion, exercise induced osteoporosis, depression, malaise and
malnutrition. but i felt good until it was to late, thats why i always say ensure you get enough to eat and enough rest, i would hate anyone to suffer the same as i did. i eat anything now doesn't matter what it is, but some weeks i eat alot more. Truth of the matter being i read books on nutrition to late, i was burning off far more calories than i was consumming. It cost me my running my health, even my freedom, but no matter how far i ran i could never get away from being me, no matter how hard i trained i couldn't forget who i was either. Running permitted me to forget for a while, somedays longer than others, but when i finished i felt good about myself.

I'm proud of my achievement, i just wish i understood at the time what i was doing to myself.
http://www.mnet.co.za/CarteBlanche/Display/Display.asp?Id=2295

not advertising the site its an article. maybe someone will catch on,

Right now its freshly juiced fruit juices and fruit in the early morning, muesli or some other starch/carbohydrates for lunch, and a protein meal in the evening.
I usually follow a food combining regimen (dont mix starches and proteins, etc) and eat mostly raw, organic foods, along with plenty of water.
Its not always possible to eat this way but thats the basic guideline.