What kind of diet do you follow?

Anybody out there...what is the coversion factor between kilocalories and calories? 1000?

Induray said:
Anybody out there...what is the coversion factor between kilocalories and calories? 1000?

Correct, kilo = thousand.

The problem is that "Calorie" is often used synonymously with "Kilocalorie". When speaking of the energy potential of food, the units used on labels are actually kilocalories even though the word "calorie" is usually used. Sometimes the word "Calorie", with an upper-case "C" is used to indicate kilocalories but just as often the "c" is lower-case and still means kilocalories.

Beastt said:
Correct, kilo = thousand.

The problem is that "Calorie" is often used synonymously with "Kilocalorie". When speaking of the energy potential of food, the units used on labels are actually kilocalories even though the word "calorie" is usually used. Sometimes the word "Calorie", with an upper-case "C" is used to indicate kilocalories but just as often the "c" is lower-case and still means kilocalories.
typical daily food intake:

Breakfast: Oat Bran & Nuts 200g offering 700kcal
Brunch:x2 Toaste x1egg x2sausage xbeans x2bacon 1banna 1apple 950Kcal
Dinner: x1 ham salad x1 Tuna x1 cheese sandwich's 1 banna 1 apple 890Kcal
Tea : Equivelent x2 servings; Chicken tikka masala with brown rice 1200kcal

+carb sport drinks, chocolate, fizzy pop and numerous cups of coffee

Still i manage to maintain 11.5stone (161lb) how can i increase my weight i can't possibly eat anymore than i do, i have tryed for the last 3wks to add a complan shake which offers me a few extra calories, although its main intrest is calcium and magnessium, but i don't want to reduce the amount of cyling that i am doing. plus i wont beable to get away with doing as little work as possible :D at work.

is this a healthier set of meals then... since it ain't chips fish ..etc anymore

now i have started steaming fish rather than grilling baking or deep frying it since i need the calories and been told that fat in foods ain't a good option, although now i have cut out the fats, i am always hungry and always feel the need to eat.

closesupport said:
typical daily food intake:

Breakfast: Oat Bran & Nuts 200g offering 700kcal
Brunch:x2 Toaste x1egg x2sausage xbeans x2bacon 1banna 1apple 950Kcal
Dinner: x1 ham salad x1 Tuna x1 cheese sandwich's 1 banna 1 apple 890Kcal
Tea : Equivelent x2 servings; Chicken tikka masala with brown rice 1200kcal

+carb sport drinks, chocolate, fizzy pop and numerous cups of coffee

Still i manage to maintain 11.5stone (161lb) how can i increase my weight i can't possibly eat anymore than i do, i have tryed for the last 3wks to add a complan shake which offers me a few extra calories, although its main intrest is calcium and magnessium, but i don't want to reduce the amount of cyling that i am doing. plus i wont beable to get away with doing as little work as possible :D at work.

is this a healthier set of meals then... since it ain't chips fish ..etc anymore

now i have started steaming fish rather than grilling baking or deep frying it since i need the calories and been told that fat in foods ain't a good option, although now i have cut out the fats, i am always hungry and always feel the need to eat.

I hope I'm remembering this correctly but you're... 5'8"? Assuming I'm correct in that, why do you feel such a need to gain weight? I would suppose you're looking for a body builder's physique but such isn't only not good for a cyclist, it's probably not the way to longevity and perhaps even a deterent to health in some cases. I'm sure there are at least a dozen different yet standard height/weight charts routinely published but people who are 10%-15% below the recommended weights on those charts have been shown to have greater longevity. Now, I understand as well as anyone that longevity may not be the ultimate goal. But I would assume that the greater longevity arises from better health and caloric restriction which is the only truly effective combatant against aging readily accepted by the majority of respected researchers.

As people age, they usually reach a point at which they begin to gain weight even if they could never put on a single pound for the first decade or so of their adult life. When people strive to gain weight at a younger age, not infrequently they find an inability to keep their weight down to recommended levels as they get older. I would think it appropriate advice for you to put on all the muscle your body and psyche can handle without trying to add weight. Few people remain dedicated to weights to maintain their physic for a lifetime and most will find that their once musclular physique has begun to sag and deter from their appearance as they reach and pass middle age.

Beastt said:
I hope I'm remembering this correctly but you're... 5'8"? Assuming I'm correct in that, why do you feel such a need to gain weight? I would suppose you're looking for a body builder's physique but such isn't only not good for a cyclist, it's probably not the way to longevity and perhaps even a deterent to health in some cases. I'm sure there are at least a dozen different yet standard height/weight charts routinely published but people who are 10%-15% below the recommended weights on those charts have been shown to have greater longevity. Now, I understand as well as anyone that longevity may not be the ultimate goal. But I would assume that the greater longevity arises from better health and caloric restriction which is the only truly effective combatant against aging readily accepted by the majority of respected researchers.

As people age, they usually reach a point at which they begin to gain weight even if they could never put on a single pound for the first decade or so of their adult life. When people strive to gain weight at a younger age, not infrequently they find an inability to keep their weight down to recommended levels as they get older. I would think it appropriate advice for you to put on all the muscle your body and psyche can handle without trying to add weight. Few people remain dedicated to weights to maintain their physic for a lifetime and most will find that their once musclular physique has begun to sag and deter from their appearance as they reach and pass middle age.
now i used to be 13.5 stone when i was doing weight training, although i quit that do do athletics, and longer distance running, i lost a substantial amount of weight, that included muscle mass, at 10st10lbs which i remained at for over 12mths now with riding i maintain 11.5st, but i don't want to have to weight train and try to do as little as possible to gain weight, i would like to remain very active like i am now. ohhh and the muscle didn't sag, it just reduced. now all my mass and weight seems to be around my lower half, legs glutes calfes etc.. i would like more mass and muscle around my calfs, legs and glutes, i am not at all interested in anything that lies above me abdominals.

I went to B&N last July and perused all of the diet books that lined their shelves (I drank lots of Starbucks those days), looking for common threads or themes among all of these diets-- I was searching for the perfect diet. Here are themes common to most:
1) You must step up your intake of leafy green vegetables. Mama said spinach would make us grow strong!
2) You must limit your meat intake to LEAN cuts of meat, and no more than 6 oz servings.
3) You must exercise 3-4x/week.
4) You must eat fiberous foods.

All the things we already knew, right? But there is more...
I took the model diets from each book and entered them into a nutrition program (I used DietPower)-- all of the models, regardless of whether they claim to or not, seemed to restrict caloric intake!

So I got lots of fiber from fruits and whole grains, cut out most of the "starches," made sure I got 40g of fiber daily, and 1.0g protein/lbs. Ate all of the vegetables I could muster and got to like beans. I drank 1 gallon of water daily. And I rode religiously.

I have dropped 40 lbs from my 5'10" frame and have approx 10 to go to hit my goal weight. I have used DietPower to track my calories and nutritional info-- it has been a wonderful tool in helping me acheive success.

sbwirtz said:
I went to B&N last July and perused all of the diet books that lined their shelves (I drank lots of Starbucks those days), looking for common threads or themes among all of these diets-- I was searching for the perfect diet. Here are themes common to most:
1) You must step up your intake of leafy green vegetables. Mama said spinach would make us grow strong!
2) You must limit your meat intake to LEAN cuts of meat, and no more than 6 oz servings.
3) You must exercise 3-4x/week.
4) You must eat fiberous foods.

All the things we already knew, right? But there is more...
I took the model diets from each book and entered them into a nutrition program (I used DietPower)-- all of the models, regardless of whether they claim to or not, seemed to restrict caloric intake!

So I got lots of fiber from fruits and whole grains, cut out most of the "starches," made sure I got 40g of fiber daily, and 1.0g protein/lbs. Ate all of the vegetables I could muster and got to like beans. I drank 1 gallon of water daily. And I rode religiously.

I have dropped 40 lbs from my 5'10" frame and have approx 10 to go to hit my goal weight. I have used DietPower to track my calories and nutritional info-- it has been a wonderful tool in helping me acheive success.
I personnally detest the taste of spiniche, however i do tend to eat seaweed instead, since it tastes better than that grotesque plant.

closesupport said:
...exercise induced osteoporosis...
I've never heard of that...do you think it could have been all of the meat that you were consuming?

Methionone is an amino acid found at twice the level in animal proteins than in non animal proteins. Its center atom is sulphur. When digested it causes the blood to become acidic and the body's response to that is to neutralize the blood's pH by leeching calcium from the skeletal system.

Pretty obvious why North America has an osteoporosis problem.

Very entertained by the people who passed off 'Fit For Life' as ****...it is very logical. Although I have never followed that diet specifically I could find nothing to really dispute in the diet's claims.

carcajou said:
I've never heard of that...do you think it could have been all of the meat that you were consuming?

Methionone is an amino acid found at twice the level in animal proteins than in non animal proteins. Its center atom is sulphur. When digested it causes the blood to become acidic and the body's response to that is to neutralize the blood's pH by leeching calcium from the skeletal system.

Pretty obvious why North America has an osteoporosis problem.

Very entertained by the people who passed off 'Fit For Life' as ****...it is very logical. Although I have never followed that diet specifically I could find nothing to really dispute in the diet's claims.

I commend you on noting the link between high levels of animal proteins and osteoporosis. It's too bad that most doctors will still tell their patients to consume more calicium which does nothing but stress the kidneys since the body can only assimilate a small amount of calcium per day no matter how much you consume. North Americans consume as much, if not more calcium, than other countries yet osteoporosis in North America is at epidemic proportions and growing.

Numerous studies done utilizing graduated levels of supplimental calcium across volunteer groups have shown that the amount of supplimental calcium ingested had no discernable affect on calcium balance. In every case, high protein diets lead to negative calcium balance while moderate-protein, (low-protein compared to most North American diets), resulted in positive calcium balance.

Yes, often the 'accepted' medical recommendations are so far off from reality but take a lot of time to break society of believing. Decades ago, doctors used to prescribe smoking for stress!! It seems ridiculous to us now but back then it was probably just accepted...somewhat like "drink your milk and eat cheese to prevent osteoporosis" now...a few decades from now people will think "how the heck could we have thought that?"

Milk has too much animal protein in it to be a viable source of bioavailable calcium...and enough protein to cause the people who consume the most of it to have the highest rates of osteoporosis in the world.

So, how do you prevent osteoporosis?
#1 Keep your animal protein intake moderate to low
#2 dump dairy products (milk is for baby bovines)
#3 do weight bearing exercise

#1 Keep your animal protein intake moderate to low, 1.2/1.7g/kg body weight?
#2 dump dairy products (milk is for baby bovines) replace milk with water?
#3 do weight bearing exercise,

what significance is weight bearing exercises, personally i enjoy cycling, its more fun to be outdoors than stuck indoors, i spend the best part of my days indoors, working, sleeping and home life... why spend more time indoors to visit a gym to do weight bearing exercise?

closesupport said:

That wouldn't be low gross protein intake, let alone animal protein only.

Roadie_scum said:
That wouldn't be low gross protein intake, let alone animal protein only.
i eat whatever is convenient to me at the time roadie, if its eadable and i like it :D then its simply getting eating, unfortunately, fit for life doesn't apply to me.. its a matter of fit for the period of time that i am here :) so if its Homocysteine that gets me other than that loon in the car on my daily ride or training session all the better 'as long as it was due to the fact that it was through consumption of food and not some 5mg tablet that some alleged doctor prescribed me'.

http://www.advance-health.com/osteoporosis.html

closesupport said:

#2 dump dairy products (milk is for baby bovines) replace milk with water?
#3 do weight bearing exercise,

what significance is weight bearing exercises, personally i enjoy cycling, its more fun to be outdoors than stuck indoors, i spend the best part of my days indoors, working, sleeping and home life... why spend more time indoors to visit a gym to do weight bearing exercise?

As pointed out by cracajou and Roadie_Scum, animal proteins seem to be more inclined to cause a major fluctuation in blood pH than do plant proteins. Keep your intake of animal proteins low and be realistic about the amount of vegetable protein necessary. As you mention, weight bearing exercise is a benefit to keeping the bones strong but if you're losing more calcium through pH balancing than your body can absorb, then all the weight bearing exercise a person can manage won't replace that calcium. NASA found out that without such exercise, astronauts lost a dangerous amount of bone tissue during extended orbits in zero gravity. Now all astronauts on the space station are required to exercise to help prevent bone loss.

There are a lot of beverages besides milk and water. Water is probably one of the best but as a cyclist, it's not a bad idea to find something with a high water content that you enjoy the taste of. If water doesn't appeal to your taste, you may not drink enough though, reducing your intake of animal proteins may also make you less prone to cramping from dehydration. (That's unproven theory only.)

Beastt said:
As pointed out by cracajou and Roadie_Scum, animal proteins seem to be more inclined to cause a major fluctuation in blood pH than do plant proteins. Keep your intake of animal proteins low and be realistic about the amount of vegetable protein necessary. As you mention, weight bearing exercise is a benefit to keeping the bones strong but if you're losing more calcium through pH balancing than your body can absorb, then all the weight bearing exercise a person can manage won't replace that calcium.

There are a lot of beverages besides milk and water. Water is probably one of the best but as a cyclist, it's not a bad idea to find something with a high water content that you enjoy the taste of. If water doesn't appeal to your taste, you may not drink enough though, reducing your intake of animal proteins may also make you less prone to cramping from dehydration. (That's unproven theory only.)
I hardly drink any water, unless i'm cycling, i also hardly drink tea coffee or fizzy pop but i do drink some, i drink no where near the amounts of water that is a alleged that a person should consume. water takes up valuble space that food could occupy :)

sunday and wednesdays i drink 2 800ml bottles of carbo sport drink over a period of a long ride. other than that.. not very often?

Beastt said:
NASA found out that without such exercise, astronauts lost a dangerous amount of bone tissue during extended orbits in zero gravity. Now all astronauts on the space station are required to exercise to help prevent bone loss.
Atrophy! erm yes bed ridden patience experience the same, this is due to the lack of requirements, so when you where refferring to weight bearing exercise anything walking cycling ..etc would be sufficient not necessarily a trip to the gym for a weights workout?

closesupport said:
I hardly drink any water, unless i'm cycling, i also hardly drink tea coffee or fizzy pop but i do drink some, i drink no where near the amounts of water that is a alleged that a person should consume. water takes up valuble space that food could occupy :)

sunday and wednesdays i drink 2 800ml bottles of carbo sport drink over a period of a long ride. other than that.. not very often?

Atrophy! erm yes bed ridden patience experience the same, this is due to the lack of requirements, so when you where refferring to weight bearing exercise anything walking cycling ..etc would be sufficient not necessarily a trip to the gym for a weights workout?

Though I can't say for sure, I suspect that once you remove the foods responsible for calcium loss, even walking in moderation would be sufficient. The problem is, most people are so adapted to the standard of a high-protein, high-fat diet, that many wouldn't have the slightest idea what constitutes reasonable protein or reasonable fat consumption.

Beastt said:
Though I can't say for sure, I suspect that once you remove the foods responsible for calcium loss, even walking in moderation would be sufficient. The problem is, most people are so adapted to the standard of a high-protein, high-fat diet, that many wouldn't have the slightest idea what constitutes reasonable protein or reasonable fat consumption.
mine is more of a high fat, high protein, high fibre, high carbo intake diet, i like to ensure i get enough, my weight doesn't fluctuate so i presume its bob'on for what i'm doing.

closesupport said:
mine is more of a high fat, high protein, high carbo intake diet, i like to ensure i get enough, my weight doesn't fluctuate so i presume its bob'on for what i'm doing.

Assuming you live in America, "getting enough" seems to be what everyone is concerned about. Meanwhile, 74% of premature deaths in this country are related to diet. People are getting enough. In fact, they're getting far too much, in most cases. It's not deficiencies that are killing people. It's excess - excess fat, excess protein, excess cholesterol and excess chemicals, sugars and highly processed foods.

Beastt said:
Assuming you live in America, "getting enough" seems to be what everyone is concerned about. Meanwhile, 74% of premature deaths in this country are related to diet. People are getting enough. In fact, they're getting far too much, in most cases. It's not deficiencies that are killing people. It's excess.
Nope i'm in the UK, I do more, hence i need more. I lead a very active life, well maybe not as active as i used to be, but i understand i need to ease up as i get older :D

Well, activity will surely help the body 'get over' many common dietary pitfalls but my philosophy is to use the BEST fuel available...a top-fuel dragster does not pull up to the 'regular' gas pumps and fill their tank with plain old 87 octane unleaded gasoline.