What kind of electronics are you using? (Cyclometer, ect)

blackZEBRA

Aug 13, 2011
I've been using a Cateye Strada Double Wireless but I'm waiting for a Garmin Edge 305 in the mail.

I use the same Cateye, along with my iPhone 4 for a GPS. On longer rides, I've rigged up a car charger port hooked to a cordless drill battery stuffed in my seat pack to keep the phone charged.

Reactions: blackZEBRA
Cateye Strada wireless. Last week when I washed my bike I removed the head so I would not damage it with water. Later on in the evening my wife walked out of the laundry room and asked if this thing was important and handed me the head unit. I forgot it in my pocket and it went through a complete wash and dry cycle unharmed. So I rate the Cateye Strada reliable and durable.

Originally Posted by davereo .

Cateye Strada wireless. Last week when I washed my bike I removed the head so I would not damage it with water. Later on in the evening my wife walked out of the laundry room and asked if this thing was important and handed me the head unit. I forgot it in my pocket and it went through a complete wash and dry cycle unharmed. So I rate the Cateye Strada reliable and durable.

That is hilarious but I'm glad it still works.

I have a Bell wireless but I don't like it. I'm thinking of getting the same Cateye Strada. Seems popular enough.

I am using the Cateye Strada Double wireless also. It is very reliable and easy to set up. The only drawbacks are that it doesn't have a backlight or have the max and avg cadence. Sent from my DROIDX

Cateye seems to be "standard" hah.

Originally Posted by pottsman21 .

I am using the Cateye Strada Double wireless also. It is very reliable and easy to set up. The only drawbacks are that it doesn't have a backlight or have the max and avg cadence.

Sent from my DROIDX

I've been using a Garmin Forerunner 405 for a couple years, with the speed/cadence sensor more recently. Totally serviceable, but I have a sneaking suspicion that several very nice Christmas/birthday gifts for my wife over the last few years have earned me a powertap (which has been at the top of my list since I out grew asking for a car) and a Joule 2.0!

My favorite bike shop owner and good friend called me to ask if my computer needs GPS and whether my current rear wheel which I use for training and racing is still keeping me happy, I told him I love my wheelset and and usually have the GPS turned off on my garmin to allow for longer battery life, except on the TT bike where I use the gps instead of the speed/ cadence sensor... then he asked when he could have my primary rear wheel for a day during the next month?

I have a related question: I'd like to use a computer on a limited basis and I don't want it on my bars. I understand that wireless computers have a very short range. Has anyone used a wireless with unusual mounting, i.e., rear sensor and head in jersey pocket or head in saddlebag? Any that have a longer range? Just a longshot, but I'd appreciate any info. Cheers, Steve

I originally mounted my Cateye Strada double wireless on a clamp-on extension T-bar to get it farther in front of me. It was really flaky, losing signal quite a bit. So I moved it back to my stem, and now it is rock-solid, so that 6" or so made quite a difference.

Any thoughts on endomodo for the iPhone or Android?

I installed this yesterday and may use it on a ride today if I can fit it in after work.

Originally Posted by davereo .

Wow, what a testimonial for Cateye products!

I've got Cateye Cordless 7's on my C-Dale and wife's Trek, and a Nashbar Tempo wireless on my Paramount. All of them work very well, but I haven't run any of them through the washing machine yet...

Originally Posted by Steve_A .

I have a related question: I'd like to use a computer on a limited basis and I don't want it on my bars. I understand that wireless computers have a very short range. Has anyone used a wireless with unusual mounting, i.e., rear sensor and head in jersey pocket or head in saddlebag? Any that have a longer range? Just a longshot, but I'd appreciate any info. Cheers, Steve
I am willing to bet that if you went with a wireless and mounted the target on your rear wheel and reciever on your seat stay it would work in your saddle bag or rear pocket.

You could be also mount the standard mounting strap to your seat post.

I scored a garmin edge 800 a few months ago, they record an enormous amount of ride data, though still quite expensive.

Originally Posted by Steve_A .

The only temporary device that I know of is a Garmin Forerunner. Either the 304 or the 405 are good for cycling. You wear either of them like a wrist watch and they compute your speed and distance from the satellite signals that they receive. You don't have to attach anything to your bike unless you want a cadence readout. You can't just stick it in your pocket though because this will weaken the satellite signal too much for effective GPS operation.

I currently use my Smartphone and CardioTrainer App for when I ride. I like it but doesnt have the best capabilities.

I've been using a Garmin Edge 500 for nearly a year now, love it. It's functionality, options, eas of use, even to set up, and compatability with various apps (Endomondo etc) make this an awesome bit of kit.

Originally Posted by AceBruceGary .

Any thoughts on endomodo for the iPhone or Android?

I installed this yesterday and may use it on a ride today if I can fit it in after work.
That's what I use, just upgraded to the Pro version last week. It doesn't have all the bells & whistles like a cyclo-computer does but it covers the basics which is fine w/ me.