What kind of electronics are you using? (Cyclometer, ect)

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by blackZEBRA, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

Over the past number of years I stepped up from the Garmin 305 to the 705 and now to the 800
    Garmin 800 / Powertap hub and lovin' it so far

I lead groups a lot of the time so it pays not to get the group lost.
    It is not fun to have the look of disgust and anger from 20+ riders. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

2. texboy

texboy New Member

I've ran Endomondo side by side on various rides with my Garmin 500. On repeat rides the Garmin has been 100 - 300 meters out at the most, but the Endomondo app has been a few klms out and frequently at that.
    I know it's not the app that makes the difference, it's obviously the GPS capability of the phone however, I'm using a HTC desire HD, and they have received pretty good reviews for their GPS ability
    I think your better off buying a tool made for the task at had.
    Sure, we all carry a mobile with us on our rides, but if you want to measure your performance and your improvements, I really think your best buying the right equipment.

3. Rych

Rych New Member

Was recently using a Polar CS200 and iPhone4 for GPS. Recently upgraded to the Garmin Edge 500 which does everything and I'm loving it! Can provide such awesome workout feedback at the end of a ride.

4. DAL1955

DAL1955 New Member

I rely pretty heavily in my iPhone for most things and cycling is not an exception. I started with the Cateye products and them decided I wanted more data from the rides and a way to archive the data. The iPhone has many apps for cycling and initially, I used the B.icycle app and really liked the data displays but there was no way to get HR or power data into the app. To handle battery life issues, I bought one of those battery packs that the phone slides into and I had no issues with 6 hr plus rides. Once I committed to needing HR and power data, I realized I needed ANT+ capability and found the iBike products. The iBike case has ANT+ sensors that will pick up any ant+ sensors on the bike. It ends up being similar in price to the Garmin 800 overall, but then you have to carry both the Garmin and a phone for emergencies. I use the stem mount so I can see the ride data, but ANT+ is good for more than a few feet so you could just start the app and stuff the case in your seat bag if you just wanted to analyze the ride data later. I didn't really intend this to be a review of the iBike, but for those iPhone centric users out there like me, I have found nothing better.

DAL

Rych likes this.
  5. y8games

y8games New Member

Have you ever recieved a call on your cellphone, and heard distortion from your computer speakers? In the same way, wireless equipment like Bluetooth earpeices, wireless internet cards, and cell phones can cause disruption to aviation electronics. As to WHICH electronics, this is likely to vary by airline, but for the most part the rule is meant to prevent interference by cell phones and laptops with wireless network cards, along with other wireless devices.

6. jpr95

jpr95 Active Member

An update on my iPhone 4 use--on Sunday, I did my first ever century ride. Normally, I would take along a cordless drill battery, some alligator clips on an aftermarket cigarette lighter jack, then a phone charger hooked to the iPhone. Well, I forgot the cigarette lighter jack. So I put the phone in the bike mount as usual, started the GPS app, but then I hit the sleep button so that the screen stayed off. The 105 miles took me just under 7 hours, and I was gone for about 7h45m total with stops, and the phone battery went from 94% to 54% in that time. Otherwise, with the screen on, it probably would have been dead inside of 4 hours. I also have a cyclometer that I mainly use for cadence, so I just used that for any stats I wanted to see during the ride.

7. ranger11a

ranger11a New Member

That is fantastic! What a great wife.

I have a PowerTap SL+ with the standard computer head unit. I was looking at the Joule and wondering if I should buy it or perhaps the Garmin 500. Do you have any insight into either of these display units?

8. ranger11a

ranger11a New Member

I have a Blackburn Neuro 4.0 wireless on my race bike (time, cadence, HR, speed, lap) and a Powertap SL+ hub and Cycleops computer dislplay unit on my training bike. I only use two different ones because my Powertap hub is built around a DT Swiss 32 spoke hub and R450 rim set. A little heavier wheel and I use a pair of 2008 Mavic Cosmic Carbone wheels on my race bike.

9. SMARIE

SMARIE New Member

My Dad (62) has a Bacchetta recumbent. He is retired and is now getting back into riding. He gets to enjoy his free time cruising the local bike paths (10-25 mi typically), rides along country roads, etc. His birthday is coming up and I would like to get him some type of device that can track metrics for him. He is a computer guy, loves gadgets, etc. but he will not be doing any racing or training per se. I envision him uploading his data and pouring over the various metrics (cadence, altitude, distance, etc.) enjoying the mechanics of his ride. He has specifically mentioned that if he were to ever get a device it would be one that could offer cadence feedback. I've tried to research the models and it seems that everyone recommends Garmin. It seems as though the FR 305 w/cadence sensors and Edge 500 w/cadence are about the same price on Amazon. Although a few reviewers online are still holding on the the Edge 305. One additional thought I had was that my parents do love to travel, so would any of the devices also be helpful to them if they went on a hike and my Dad wanted to upload data about their hike? Any thoughts on a good model for a retired recumbent cruiser that loves data?

Thank you in advance!

Stacie

10. rushhour

rushhour New Member

for casual riders, I think iphone with BikeMateGPS, Cyclometer, Endomondo are enough.
    Some apps - ex) wahoo fitness - are compatible with electronic sensors such as cadence, ANT+ you had.
    but, I think you'd better use bikematelite or endomondo first - it's free - if you had iPhone.
    quite useful. I bet.

11. Leo001

Leo001 New Member

I have been using my Blackberry and an app called "Map my Tracs" when it works, its great. It syncs with a web site, it tracks speed, distance, etc... and displays your route on a map. The problem is that if I get a call or email it will somtimes interupt the tracking of the ride (rode 26 miles last sunday, when I got home and checked it tracked 6 miles) so I would like to replace it with somthing that I can use on multiple bikes, will track my speed, distance, upload to a map site, I have been looking at the Garmin units ( 305 & 500) can anyone who is using them offer any advice or oreferance of one over the other?

Thanks