What kind of energy bar do you eat?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by JTEK, Sep 18, 2004.

1. JTEK

JTEK New Member

Well, what kind of energy bar do you eat and why?

Tags:

2. rayner

rayner New Member

Never used to eat them, hurt me in races though. Just got a sponsorship deal with High5 so I'm using them now. First lot should arrive tommorow so I've got absolutely no idea what theyre like. I'll get back to u though.

3. Dr.Hairybiker

Dr.Hairybiker New Member

One thing I know, is that the chocolate based bars are always too chewy, and melt in the package. The peanut butter, or nutty, tasting bars seem to be less chewy, easier to digest, and don't melt as easy.

4. Geoff2010

Geoff2010 New Member

I like powerbar peanut butter flavor. Although the first ingredient in powerbar is High Fructose Corn Syrup... which sucks, they seem to do the trick for me. I have tried some other bars, and nothing seems to ward off the evil "bonk" quite like a powerbar.

Peanut butter seems to be one of the few flavors that don't stick to the wrapper when you pull the bar out of your jersey pocket after 2 hours on the bike on a warm summer day.

5. gruppo

gruppo New Member

I don't use them because I have yet to find one that tastes good and/or isn't loaded with saturated fats.

6. jitteringjr

jitteringjr New Member

Clif bars because they are easier to chew and taste better than Power bars. I haven't tried any of the others.

I do prefer gels though and I prefer Clif gels over Power and GU gels because I have been able to get Clif gels cheaper. Pretty much all gels taste good to me.

7. sillyputtynq

sillyputtynq New Member

MetRx bars--especially chocolate chocolate chip flavor

I also enjoy AdvantEdge bars--chocolate coconut is one of my fav.'s.

The MetRx have high protein and I weight lift about 6 days a week as well as cycle so I'll occassionally have one or a half of one.

AdvantageBars are lower in sugar yet still taste good and have a decent amount of protein.

8. Greg-O

Greg-O New Member

crunchy peanut butter clif bars mmmmmm *licks lips*
    they actually taste good. many times when working in the bike shop, if it's too busy to grab lunch, i'll grab a clif bar to hold me over until the end of the day.

i'm also partial to go-fast-lite energy drinks. quite tasty.

9. TrekDedicated

TrekDedicated New Member

Luna - s'mores
    PowerBar - oatmeal raisin

Cliff bars occasionally.

10. JTEK

JTEK New Member

Hah, I just had a luna smores yesterday -first time -but why does it say for women? whats the diff??

I found that clif bars are the only bars i can actually eat without wanting to throw up after the first bite. They actually taste pretty good. Cookies and creme power bars are pretty good too.

11. SF_Vitus

SF_Vitus New Member

Clif Bars. Made locally and they use organic ingrediants. Usually eat Peanut Toffee Buzz or Peanut Butter. They issued some special flavors at Xmas time last year. Can't remember the exact flavors but they were a nice, yummy change.

12. meehs

meehs New Member

Clif Bars are my favorite. They seem more like "real food" than a Power Bar in my opinion.

13. concord

concord Member

Marathon Bars by Snickers, I used to use Powerbar but they were way too chewy. I have used Tiger's Milk for the last three years and about three months ago I found the Marathon bar and it looked good so I tried it. Yum yum. Now I use Tiger's Milk only as a back-up. ;)

14. lokstah

lokstah New Member

Higher-than-you'd-expect folic acid, calcium, iron; stuff that's good for everyone, but especially good for the ladies... :cool:

I'm a Clif/Luna fan as well. They've also got a new protien bar, Builder's, which is a knockout. Like Clif & Luna, it's alllll natural and wheat/dairy free. Melts on rides, though. Definitely not a jersey snack.

15. None, but my rides are fairly short, less than an hour commute twice a day. A lot of times I'll have a heaping tablespoon of creamy peanut butter and a tablespoon or two of honey about 30 minutes or so before and/or immediately after a ride. I'm thinking of adding wheat germ to this. This is in addition to my normal plain black coffee intake.:)

16. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

i dont use power bars, i like breakfast bars instead, like Kelloggs Nutri-Grain, museli and cereal bars..they taste great, are low in fat, high in carbs and a a whole lot cheaper. They are not geared towards a pro-riders dietry requrements but as luck would have it, i am not a pro rider..

17. adamfresno

adamfresno New Member

I second that, chocolate always sticks to my wrapper. pain in the ass. the others have no problem. Easier to chew and digest like you said, I feel like I have to drink twice as much water to get chocolate bars down.

18. SadieKate

SadieKate New Member

I only eat when riding over 90 mins. Some rides are 3-8 hours, so I look for variety.

1) Pay Day candy bars -- check out the nutritional numbers!
    2) Mojo Bar (from Clif)
    3) Peanut Butter/Chees Crackers -- can be dry but they sure work when you're on a looong ride.
    4) Special K cereal bars -- very light and easily digestible

Also, a little trick -- add Crystal Light drink mix to Cytomax in your bottle. I prefer Pink Lemonade with Cytomax Tropical Fruit. Actually makes you want to drink the stuff.

19. Muddy Buddy

Muddy Buddy New Member

Clif and Luna, but I'm probably going to stick with Luna since they have about 1/2 the calories (180 vs. 350). Luna bars also have fewer saturated fats. I understand the really, really bad fats are Trans fats. Anyone know the deal here?

20. JTEK

JTEK New Member

Wow, I just had one of those new snickers bars, and they are good! They make me want to eat more of them! Although they ARE chocolate and stick to the wrapper...