What kind of energy bar do you eat?

philhudson said:
what do you mean by complex carbs?

things like pasta or bananas?

Simple carbohydrates are digested quickly. Many simple carbohydrates contain refined sugars and few essential vitamins and minerals. Examples include fruits, fruit juice, milk, yogurt, honey, molasses, maple syrup and sugar.

Complex carbohydrates take longer to digest and are usually packed with fiber, vitamins and minerals. Examples are vegetables, breads, cereals, legumes and pasta.

philhudson said:
what do things like go-gels come under?

Most of the energy products (gels, bars, drinks, etc) try to include a high percentage of complex carbs, but you would have to check the nutritional info (generally available on the web site) to be sure.

Fig Newtons are my first choice, you can get them at Costco and they are way cheaper than any of the bars and they have a nice mix of simple & complex carbs. My favorite bar is Cliff Bar- Chocolate Chip. Cliff Bars actually taste good and I don't have to chew for half an hour before I swallow. The Snickers Marathon bars are a good treat, but they have more fat and protein than I want mid-ride. On a typical 70 mile training ride I'll take 6 Fig Newtons, 1 Cliff Bar and about 3 Carb Boom gels.

JTEK said:
Well, what kind of energy bar do you eat and why?
I like the taste of cliff bars. I used to eat them during rides but you need to use a lot of water. Now I eat them pre ride especially when it is late afternoon and I am feeling a little hungry before a ride. I have found that cliff shots (gel) can be eaten when I am climbing a steep hill.
All of these gels are really expensive and they must be making a huge profit when they cost $1 a pop.

None, I usually eat some sort of fruit or nuts before I ride though. Or a combination of the two. Anybody else out there vegan/vegetarian?

el guapo said:
None, I usually eat some sort of fruit or nuts before I ride though. Or a combination of the two. Anybody else out there vegan/vegetarian?
That is much smarter. You save a lot of money. Energy bars are a product of good marketing thats why the pay Lance a lot of money to endorse Power Bars.

Stiff Upper Lip said:
I usually stick with a banana and two plumbs. I can carry them in my riding shorts, so it is a convenient snack.... :eek:
You must have an extremely supple back if you can get at them!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I usually try to avoid energy bars. I am fed up with the taste and after a couple of hours in your back pockets they tend to get moist, sticky and even less tasty. (It was bad even before this state.)

Fuel I use is bananas, raisins and sometimes hotdog buns filled with honey or energy gel, better and more easily swallowed than the sticky stuff previously mentioned.

I AM trying to get sponsored by Powerbar and I use powerbars all the time, I use powergels all the time to.:D

I picked up a case of Clif Bars and you guys were right, they are good. So I went back and picked another case. Now I guess I better start riding so I can eat those bars! :eek:

JTEK said:
Well, what kind of energy bar do you eat and why?

You don't need energy bars when you have dried bananas. If you want energy for riding they are 88% available carbohydrate and they contain sodium and potassium to replace the sweat. No fat. And they are a fraction of the cost of *energy* bars. ;)

I switch from time to time, right now I'm on a Powerbar kick, before that was Clif Bars. Luna bars are always good for a snack since they taste so damn good! Someone said a baked potato...the thought of eating a bp on a long hot right just sounds horrible, maybe on a cold day if the foil keeps it warm, but not on a warm day!

A baked potato just doesn't sound good on a long ride. Maybe after the ride with a tri tip steak on the grill and a good helping of macaroni salad and a tall glass of iced tea. The potato still needs a dollop of sour cream or something. :eek:

This is true and then if you use one of those gels at $1 a pop it really adds up. The pros use gels because they get them free from their sponsor. There must be a huge profit margin on these energy bars.

mitosis said:
You don't need energy bars when you have dried bananas. If you want energy for riding they are 88% available carbohydrate and they contain sodium and potassium to replace the sweat. No fat. And they are a fraction of the cost of *energy* bars. ;)

Tried a new bar on my last century- Odwalla Cranberry C-monster. Made with organic fruits&whole grains. This one featured dried cranberries and extra vitamin C. Tasted great and was easy to eat. IMO Power bars are best suited for shoe leather- they're nearly impossible to eat.

I have alternated from one brand to another over time (PowerBar, Cliff, various gels, etc.). Recently just started using Maxim Sports Nutrition bars from Interpharm Herebes out of the Netherlands that I picked up at the LBS. Very pleased with them so far.

serenaslu said:
I have alternated from one brand to another over time (PowerBar, Cliff, various gels, etc.). Recently just started using Maxim Sports Nutrition bars from Interpharm Herebes out of the Netherlands that I picked up at the LBS. Very pleased with them so far.
As most of you are in America somewhere you probably don't get Sport in Science (SIS) Go-bars. Along with their fluid replacement stuff they always seem to do the trick. Easy to eat and the flavours are almost palatable!