What Kind Of Food And Drinks Do You Take Along On Long Bike Trips?

Dora M

Feb 20, 2015
Colombia
Assuming that you are not trying to be an athlete or extreme bike rider, what kind of foods do you take along on your trips?
Do you need snacks that give you quick bursts of energy? Or do you take along some picnic food? And what about drinks? Is water enough for you? Or do you need some special energy drinks that quickly re-hydrate you?

Water in bottles for rides under 50 miles but I am used to riding long distances

Over say 80 miles, I might stop for a few pints....of chocolate milk. I would also start with a little maltodextrin in the bottles.

You don't really want quick energy, you want steady energy.......better to nibble and sip unless you know you can down a quart of chocolate milk w/o ill effects.

I am fond of Lim Rice Cakes and Lim Potatoes for longer rides.

For shorter rides, I'll go with water and a burrito for all it matters, especially if I'm hungry. On longer, more serious rides, I'll go with maybe a chocolate milk or even a Gatorade and then a protein bar that's actually healthy. I'm not that picky with what I take on rides, especially the shorter ones. Longer ones I'll take things more serious so that I don't pass out along the way or something like that.

I'll definitely take a bottle of water, and sometimes I'll take a chocolate milk. For longer rides, I will take a protein bar, but nothing like candy because I want sustained energy not quick energy. In terms of rehydration, I think that water is just fine, I don't need Gatorade or Powerade or any special energy drink to replenish my water supply. I never take full meals, like sandwiches, I only take snacks.

I haven't gotten to the point where I take longer rides. I'm still on my to surpass 10 miles. Lol

I take ice water. That's done me just fine so far.

Actually on -long- rides it's probably better not to carry alot with you.

I usually pick up stuff as I go. I get a map and mark some points where food - drinks are available for each 40km or something.

So I start with a bottle of frozen water and maybe a grain bar, which stays nice and cool for about 3 hours and 40km after I refill the bottle and take another bar.

I stop to have a nice lunch from a bakery and then go on.

If you are going to cross the Sahara dessert though things are becoming more complicated. It's probably more fun to do long rides away from everything with some company and a support vehicle instead of carrying 6 panniers with 10kg of stuff. <_<

I did a haul-ride once, carrying a tent and sleeping bags and such. But I enjoyed a "credit card" tour I did another time more...

But some ideas for food and drinks are:

Grain bars, water (ofcourse), juice (fresh), apples (they got alot of water inside), bananas, etc.

For warm food you can always make some pasta on a mini stove if you are willing to carry some.

A really simple recipe that I do when I cook when travelling is Pasta with Blue cheese and Parsley.

You just throw the blue cheese in the cooked pasta and shake a bit. Then sprinkle some parsley and stir a bit more...

Total carry weight: 500grams for 4 servings. :D

14-stir-blue-cheese-pasta.jpg

Reactions: Dora M
On any ride when I do want to be jumping off and using the toilet all the time, I usually sip on water every few miles and I never over do it. You don't during a full gallon and expect to make it anywhere stopping every few miles to urinate. As for lunch or food in general, I eat sandwiches cut in smaller pieces. I find the bread solidifies whatever is in my stomach so I don't have to go to the toilet. If I had drank or ate dairy products I think I would be looking for a toilet more often.

Lots of people will say to bring sport drinks but I just stilck to regular water. Don't over do it on long rides. You will feel the water splashign around in your stomach while pedalling. You don't want that. As for food, I just pack some powerbars and much on those every couple miles. It isn't a meal but it will get you by til you get home or at a pit stop where you can get somethign substancial in your stomach.

I bring water, a zero calorie sports drink like Powerade Zero, and a few granola bars. I try to pick out a route that allows me to stop and get things on the way if I need to.

Jcycle said:
I bring water, a zero calorie sports drink like Powerade Zero, and a few granola bars. I try to pick out a route that allows me to stop and get things on the way if I need to.
Very good. I love granola bars. That mixed with water is a great snack.

Chapter 6, "Food For the Long Haul", in the book "The Complete Book of Long Distance Cycling" by Burke and Pavelka discusses nutrition at great length. I've read it once and I want to read that chapter again a few more times and start following what it recommends.

Bob

All that I usually take when I'm cycling is a bottle of water or energy drink, and a few energy bars. I might throw a mars bar in there sometimes aswell, just to keep my sugar up of course! but that's about it.

In the past I've ridden with people that have practically brought along a 3 course meal, but I've never seen the point in that.

I seldom bring liquid when I ride even on a long trip. But I try to know the itiinerary and the route. If there are stores on the way where we can buy cold drinks then I really don't bother to have that excess baggage. What I usually bring is hard candy that I can suck on while riding. And when we take a pitstop then that's the time to have a cold drink, a soda with ice. Gee, that would be very refreshing.

Re hydrating yourself is a must. Bring plenty of fluids along with you. A banana or two will give you a healthy way to replenish your energies. Maybe a chocolate or two for the quick carbs you may need sometimes during feats of sudden hypoglycemia. That's all, I don't baggage myself with any other items.

If I am in for a long ride I have to make sure I have some granola on me. It is just a must have at this point and it is the perfect thing for me to snack on. I always end up taking too much, but of course it is better safe than sorry and you have to prepare for the worst. I just have some of that and a giant old jug of water.

If I am in for a long ride I have to make sure I have some granola on me. It is just a must have at this point and it is the perfect thing for me to snack on. I always end up taking too much, but of course it is better safe than sorry and you have to prepare for the worst. I just have some of that and a giant old jug of water.
Sorry, but I don't know what a granola is? Maybe, its weird but my mind is now blank, I can't seem to remember what is granola.
And wow giant jug of water, won't it be more convenient to take a bottle of water? :D

I take lots of water. I try not to take any type of food with me. I have taken Twinkies with me before. I know that sounds strange. Sometimes a little bit of sugar helps curve any sudden hunger that arises. As unhealthy as it may seem I figure you are going to burn off the fat anyways so now would be the time to treat yourself.