What Kind Of Food And Drinks Do You Take Along On Long Bike Trips?

I take many bottles of energy drink with me. Water is the most important to remain hydrated but as we know, water is not an energy source. So, for my energy needs, I use the energy drinks.

I used to take a bunch of snack or protein bars when I was younger. I rarely do long enough rides to require food. I just take plain water on rides now. I might bring some water flavoring packets and mix it on the road.

For shorter rides, I'll go with water and a burrito for all it matters, especially if I'm hungry. On longer, more serious rides, I'll go with maybe a chocolate milk or even a Gatorade and then a protein bar that's actually healthy. I'm not that picky with what I take on rides, especially the shorter ones. Longer ones I'll take things more serious so that I don't pass out along the way or something like that.
Are you serious with the burrito lol? I wish I could bring something as heavy as a burrito on the road with me. I just can't keep down something heavy like that on a ride. I'd need a nap after eating a burrito.

For long distance anything, I like to have dried fruit and water, but I'll sometimes take a bit of regular fruit and sugary beverages too. My goal is just to keep going without dipping at all, but sometimes the energy crash happens no matter what.

Nothing beats the good old ice cold bottle of water to quench your thirst after a long ride. I don't bring food, but I prepare one at home before I go out to ride my bike, that way, I have motivation to get home quickly when I'm on my way back. Having something to look forward to really makes the drive quicker, and extra motivation to finish the mile is also a good perk of having meals ready to eat at home after a long ride.

I normally take water or some sort of juice that I water down. I also like taking some dried fruit and nuts. They can really give that little extra that you sometimes need, but in general I try to ride as light as possible.

Only water typically especially for rides around two hours. For two hour plus rides, I eat a Nature Valley Trail Mix Fruit & Nut Bar at roughly the hour mark and switch to Nature's Bakery Whole Wheat Fig Bar for the last hour (over six hour rides). Occasionally I will buy a Gatorade for the last twenty or so miles at the end of a century if I forget to bring my Tums. I start consuming Tums at around the four hour mark. I been experimenting with home made gels on metric centuries, around three hours moving and add 10-15 minutes for total time, but haven't seen much of a boost than just eating the fruit & nut bar. I buy both bars in bulk from Costco.

I've always been a person who can't eat or drink a lot while doing a physical activity, so if I know I'm going to have a long ride I carb load the week before. Then, on the day of, I have a banana for breakfast and carry with me Probar chews and scratch drink mix in water. Those two give me the most energy and hydration without the weight of heavy food on my stomach.

I don't take a whole lot with me. I'll take a couple of bottles of water and a couple of bottles of Gatorade just to be safe. Don't usually end up drinking them all, but it's important to be prepared and to stay hydrated. I'll also pack a couple of granola bars just in case I get hungry and need a snack. Which is pretty rare.

I always take a bottle of water strapped to my bike... always. Even on short trips that bottle is present as I don't leave home without it. If a snack is needed, something simple is always inviting, such as a snack bar of some kind that can easily be packed away until needed. For a long trip, I'll take a simple snack or two, and then stop at a restaurant to eat.

Lots of water and bananas, I take bananas everywhere, I love them. They're great for a energy boost and so easy to carry around with you.

Mainly water. I eat roughly 2 hours before I go on a ride. Often quite some carbs so that I will have enough energy and don't get hungry along the way. Sometimes I will pack an energy bar as well. There is not that much you can pack when you gear up.

I always pack lots of water. I might pack a thing of flavored water. I know it's not super healthy, but the taste keeps me going and gives me energy. Food wise, I try to pack healthy things like nuts, granola bars, and things like that. I usually pack fruit, like berries, or apples, or peaches. I also usually take a chocolate bar to reward myself.

For my energy needs, I carry some energy drinks of the various reputed companies. I think maintaining your energy is the most important thing. Cycling burns a lot of calories and most people are not able to maintain the same level of energy. That's why it's important to carry the drinks.

Mainly water. I eat roughly 2 hours before I go on a ride. Often quite some carbs so that I will have enough energy and don't get hungry along the way. Sometimes I will pack an energy bar as well. There is not that much you can pack when you gear up.
Along with water, you should carry the energy drinks. I don't think the energy bars are as effective as the drinks and in m opinion, they are definitely better. I have experimented many times and I have always found out that that the energy drinks are much better.

For long rides, I usually take water or energy drinks (or both, depending on the distance!)

I usually have a meal before I plan to go on a long ride, so that I already have something of substance in my belly - but I find the most convenient thing to take with me are energy gels. The lighter the better, and they give me the quick energy hit I need, if I feel myself starting to waver.

After three days, the thought of a gel will make me Ralph.

I'm fond of Lil Debbies mini donuts on long rides.

Egg McMuffins are pretty good on long rides.

Rice Krispy treats burn pretty good.

Cashews, almonds, potato chips, coke, mustard, pickles, meat, etc.

From years of riding and racing it took several years for me to find what worked best for me. I mainly drink water only with some bloks for rides of 2 to 3 hours. If I do rides over 4 hours then I'll use Skratch Labs energy mix in a bottle. I do usually start all my longer rides off with a peanut butter /banana sandwich. I've done the mini donuts, muffins, and always pack the jersey pockets with some snacks.

From years of riding and racing it took several years for me to find what worked best for me. I mainly drink water only with some bloks for rides of 2 to 3 hours. If I do rides over 4 hours then I'll use Skratch Labs energy mix in a bottle. I do usually start all my longer rides off with a peanut butter /banana sandwich. I've done the mini donuts, muffins, and always pack the jersey pockets with some snacks.
I think you brought up a very valid point. We have to find out what works for us. To often we base ourselves on what others do.

I bring some honey lemon water if I have time to prepare it. If not Gatorade or just plain water with a lemon in it. For food I just bring a couple of chocolate bara, usually Snickers and the rest I just eat on food stops whenever I'm hungry.