What kind of frame material is this?

I believe there are also structural alloys that are primarily scandium, so I would not assume offhand that it is just an aluminum alloy with a bit of scandium.

Not that you can't bike without it.

garage sale GT said:
I believe there are also structural alloys that are primarily scandium, so I would not assume offhand that it is just an aluminum alloy with a bit of scandium.

Not that you can't bike without it.
Just had a look at the spot price for Scandium. $5000 US per kilo. Yeah, I guess some might go for a bike frame made primarily of it, but why? At that price you could get a really well made Titanium frame.

You misunderstood, threaded, a 'scandium' frame means they might use 6% scandium instead of just 3% in the alloy. It is still a primarily aluminium frame (at least from what I've read).

bobbyOCR said:
You misunderstood, threaded, a 'scandium' frame means they might use 6% scandium instead of just 3% in the alloy. It is still a primarily aluminium frame (at least from what I've read).
Yes, I understood that, it was the comment on a primarily Scandium frame. I know most 'Scandium frames' don't really have enough Scandium in them to make any real difference. Makes for good marketing blow though.

How do they make a 3% or even 6% Scandium frame? I thought the master alloys only went to 2%?

threaded said:
Yes, I understood that, it was the comment on a primarily Scandium frame. I know most 'Scandium frames' don't really have enough Scandium in them to make any real difference. Makes for good marketing blow though.

How do they make a 3% or even 6% Scandium frame? I thought the master alloys only went to 2%?
it was a hypothetical point.