what kind of glasses do you ride with

triguy98 said:
I can't stand Oakley. Nice quality optics, yes. Way over priced prduct, yes. Lousy customer service, yes. Hold themselves to their warranty? NO.

After my EyeJackets broke, i decided to go cheapie route... and have not regretted it. Since i require perscription lenses to see farther than 3 feet, Oakley and all the other name brands are prohibitly expesive. For $100 at the Wally world optical center, I get some cool lookin, sturdy glasses that correct my near sightedness. $100 from oakley might get you one lens...

I agree that Oakleys are overpriced (I have a pair of Bolle Vigilantes that are fine), but Oakley's CEO stood by Lance when he was dumped by Codidis after he was diagnosed with Cancer. Oakley threatened to pull all of there business from their insurance company after they refused to cover Lance for his "pre-existing" condition. It's nice to know that there are companies that will stand by their people like that. I will most likely parlay some of my x-mas gift cards into a set of new M frames.
:cool:

bwhitl said:
I use a pair of cheapos now, but I want to get the new Oakley Thump, in about two years when the price comes down enough for me to afford a pair.

$500 is insane:mad:

500 US for glasses???!!!!! You can buy a bike frame for that. That's what makes it crazy! If not a frame, imagine all the other gear you could get for the money.

Fat Hack said:
500 US for glasses???!!!!! You can buy a bike frame for that. That's what makes it crazy! If not a frame, imagine all the other gear you could get for the money.
I totally think it's way too much money; but Oakley Thump is a mp3 player built into sunglasses, with attached earphones. Well, whatever, I'm never paying that much either.

I wear Rudy Project Tayo's. The same as der kaiser himself. Got the interchangeable lenses. They work great. Best glasses I have had so far. Thinking of buying the Specialized Adaptalite with lense that change tint in different sunlight.
I used to wear Nike Interchange Square but the didn't give enough coverage.

At the rate that I lose glasses, I stick to my cheapo glasses. Birdz Hawk glasses on Ebay for $22. They work great and have interchangeable lenses for different lighting situations.

Just bought a pair of "Tour de France" glasses. I guess that's the brand name. They have pretty good coverage and don't look super crazy. Paid $50. I tried on a pair of Nike glasses that were $140. I liked them a lot, they were super light and felt really comfy, but I couldn't convince myself to pay that much for a pair of sunglasses. Maybe later when I become a CEO or something...

Oytun

kevinmcdade said:
At the rate that I lose glasses, I stick to my cheapo glasses. Birdz Hawk glasses on Ebay for $22. They work great and have interchangeable lenses for different lighting situations.

Mine set me back AU$160.00 which i thought wasn't to bad. About a month later at the bike shop they had a sale on and the same glasses where only AU$100. I did the right thing and bought the wife a pair to take advantage of the price. :eek:

Ive got the oakley half jackets with xlj lenses. I like 'em because the lenses are replacable for different weather. The best part about it is that I got half price off the sunglasses and extra lenses because of where i work.:D

I cheat.

I found that every pair of shades I tried that had frames around the lenses gave me a wallopping blind spot just where I want to see traffic coming up over my left shoulder. I finally got a pair of cheapo-cheapo wraparound glasses that look more or less like these:
TB20200.jpg
(Oh, he!!, the image tags aren't working for me again. I'm beginning to take a real resentment about that!)

...but I have presbyopia, and I'd never be able to read my bike's computer without prescription lenses. I'm also way too cheap to buy good glasses, and a prescription kit, and an extra set of lenses to put in the prescription kit...

What to do?

Well, I bought a pair of stick-em-in-your-own-sunglasses bifocal lenses from these guys. They stick in my shades with a bit of water, and now I've got wraparound shades, with bifocals, for less than $40.00.

I use Rudy Project Rydons with interchangeable lenses. I used Oakleys at one time but got tired of paying a fortune to replace the lenses each time. Rudy Project charges you a minimal shipping fee to replace their lenses.

They seem to be on the more expensive side of sunglasses, but their customer service is outstanding and IMO, surpasses the others.

mksalazar said:
what brand of cycling glasses do you use?

kevinmcdade said:

At the rate I break glasses...!

Demosthenes said:
Im old fashioned. No glasses, no gloves. I dont need all that fancy shmanshy 'special cycling' gear.
i totally agree! glasses are for shopaholics, not real cyclists like you and me

oakley got a pair dirt cheap in a sale. bril glasses, great for night riding

Since this summer, i use a pair of ADIDAS Evil Eyes whit the prescription insert glasses. Like them, also use them for crosscrountry skiing.

I use Uvex safety glasses from the hardware store for $5, clear frame to reduce blind spots and great UV rating, also light weight. And IMHO I do not look like bob the builder with them on. :p The clear option work well in winter and for the late in the day ride home and both keep all the insects and twigs out of the eyes. I always wear glasses when riding too risky not to and an eye injury can keep you off the road for a long time and the pain is extreme.
Be safe.

Just got myself a pair of Specialized "Chicanes" with the photochromatic lenses. great frames, good vision, great lenses, apart from the lenses not changing to a dark enough shade during the super bright conditions we get here in Oz. Have found they do fog up when climbing (combination of heat & slow arsed rinding), & stopping @ lights etc. could be the shape of my head also.

Looking back i should have opted for the "san remo's" - lenses are more suited to the brighter lights.

Have previously used the old arnette "catfish" - also a great wear - at a cheaper option.

Adidas EvilEye With Prescription Insert (Clip In) - Good for skiing too