what kind of glasses do you ride with

it's good old Rudy Kerosine for me...if i can't ride like Jan at least i can look like him.

mksalazar said:
hey is there any brand of glasses out there that is good at NOT fogging up in the cold? I swear there have been times I've nearly killed myself bc of my shades fogging up... and I hate using those non fogging gels and creams, pain in the butt..

thats why i love my Rudy Projects. The only time they fog is on really cold mornings when i have been pushing really hard and have to stop at traffic lights, as soon as i start moving it disapears instantly and its not that bad to begin with :D

I tried shot glasses, but they were too small and my drink kept splashing out. I switched to high-ball glasses but my ice kept bouncing out. I don't know what to do!

TD

tyler_derden said:
I tried shot glasses, but they were too small and my drink kept splashing out. I switched to high-ball glasses but my ice kept bouncing out. I don't know what to do!

TD
I need to pick up a pair of glasses for this riding season. Do you guys do the interchangable lens thing based on current riding conditions? Clear lens on overcast days and tinted or yellow lens for sunny days? Right now I have a pair of Oakley Wires but can not switch the lens. Thanks.

aham23 said:
I need to pick up a pair of glasses for this riding season. Do you guys do the interchangable lens thing based on current riding conditions? Clear lens on overcast days and tinted or yellow lens for sunny days? Right now I have a pair of Oakley Wires but can not switch the lens. Thanks.
i don't bother changing lenses in my Rudy's, i have a cheap pair of clear lenses to ride with at night/ early morning. Even heavily overcast days my tinted lenses in the Rudts let me see everything clearly. If i think i will need them i will chuck my clears in a pocket and take 'em with me.:cool:

I know I'll get flamed, however I'll still weigh in:

I upgraded this Christmas when I found a set of M-Frames in my stocking. My mom bought me the Lance shades because she knows I ride so much.

Pros: I have absolutely loved these glasses. They don't fall off and the interchangeable lenses allow me to swap out lenses for my other activities (M frames w/ clear or amber lenses are the best shooting glasses $ can buy). Lately I've been getting home later in the afternoon and my rides are closer to dusk - the Lance lenses are the perfect color for this.

Cons: Expensive, BIG. The carrying case holds two extra lenses, however it's BIG. The glasses are a little extreme to wear in everyday situations. That's all I can think of - oh ya, there's the Poser factor if they're the Lance frames.

Bottom Line: My fav shades I've ever owned, also the best cycling shades I've ever used.

I got a pair of perscription wrap-around sunglasses a few years ago from Pearl Vision. And I started riding again just last year. My eyes do water if it's cool enough but I can live with that. And as far as fogging?.... If conditions are right they will fog up if I stop. But they clear up again within a couple pedal strokes. I'm not about to spend another couple hundred just for cycling glasses. 3 pair are enough (sun, regular and safety for work).

18 year old Oakley Mumbos-at least thats what I think they were called. After all these years, still only one or two scratches-knock on wood. I love them!!

Those Rudy Project Kerosenes do look sweet!!

mksalazar said:
what brand of cycling glasses do you use?
I consider helmuts and glasses as safety components. You pay what you think your head and eyes are worth. I ride Oakley M-Frames. I don't need frame hinges when I am riding, because nothing else matters then. I have a narrow face and they don't slip. Their nose piece sticks the more you sweat, I ride year round in the desert. You can get any color lenses, vented, and different wrap arounds. I have no reason to believe there are not many equivalents.

OH-yeah-now I remember why i got those Oakley mumbos-when i climbed big climbs, no matter how sunny it is-I always shed the sunglasses. The mumbos came off quick without losing my pace and plop-in my jersey pocket or onto my collar. Now all sport glasses have the straight "clamp" type ear pieces.

Fat Hack said:
I hear ya!! Every time you stop for a **** they fog up in 3 seconds.

Sunglasses are the biggest rip-off in cycling equipment by so far, it's riduclous. I use cheapies.
And if you don't pull your shorts down, they really fog up.

I ride with my oakley juliets.. best pair of sunnies you can ever get. They aren't really cycling glasses, but i use them for other sports as well.

I don't think the poseur factor is very high, unless of course you think that cyclops from X-men is a poseur. But seriously, unlike some other sunnies around, these aren't "blinking-Big", and are sleek enough to wear when you're out and about town.

Demosthenes said:
Im old fashioned. No glasses, no gloves. I dont need all that fancy shmanshy 'special cycling' gear.
There are 11 M.D.s in the three big clubs I ride with. The hand an eye surgeries they have had to perform on bike and motorcyclist, with your mentality, makes "OLD FASHION" a bloody blind joke!

frequentflyer said:
i totally agree! glasses are for shopaholics, not real cyclists like you and me
Real cyclist put a high value on their eye's and hands. YOU, are not one of us!

I used to be a hardcore oakley user, but after the company went public their quality and customer service went to ****. The last Oakleys I bought were the M frames when they first came out; they would break if you looked at them wrong. **** design, cheap **** plastic, and **** customer service.

I switched to Rudys and have never looked back. I'm usually rockin the Ekynox SXes or Rydons on the bike and I use an older pair of Skeey Unos off the bike.

As for all this **** about sunglasses being a piece of safety equipment. Get real. They are mostly a fashion accessory. Cyclists did not use sunglasses until Oakley paid Lemond to wear a pair of Factory Pilots. If you really want safety then get yourself a pair of real safety glasses that have frames made out of something other than the cheapest plastic Oakley can find for the week; they cost a tenth or less of what a pair of Oakleys will set you back.

Bro Deal said:
I used to be a hardcore oakley user, but after the company went public their quality and customer service went to ****. The last Oakleys I bought were the M frames when they first came out; they would break if you looked at them wrong. **** design, cheap **** plastic, and **** customer service.

I switched to Rudys and have never looked back. I'm usually rockin the Ekynox SXes or Rydons on the bike and I use an older pair of Skeey Unos off the bike.

As for all this **** about sunglasses being a piece of safety equipment. Get real. They are mostly a fashion accessory. Cyclists did not use sunglasses until Oakley paid Lemond to wear a pair of Factory Pilots. If you really want safety then get yourself a pair of real safety glasses that have frames made out of something other than the cheapest plastic Oakley can find for the week; they cost a tenth or less of what a pair of Oakleys will set you back.
You get real! The only "****" and "****", is your vocabulary!

lks said:
You get real! The only "****" and "****", is your vocabulary!
Maybe, but at least I am not a poseur who will come up with a lame excuse about why I have a thousand plus dollars worth of sunglasses like I value my eyes so much I have to wear $200 glasses instead of $20 dollar ones. I am honest enough to admit straight up that it is for fashion first and so I don't get hit in the eye by grasshoppers second and a twenty dollar pair would serve the second purpose just as well.

Just for you: ****, ****, and ****.