what kind of glasses do you ride with

I can't stand Oakley. Nice quality optics, yes. Way over priced prduct, yes. Lousy customer service, yes. Hold themselves to their warranty? NO.

After my EyeJackets broke, i decided to go cheapie route... and have not regretted it. Since i require perscription lenses to see farther than 3 feet, Oakley and all the other name brands are prohibitly expesive. For $100 at the Wally world optical center, I get some cool lookin, sturdy glasses that correct my near sightedness. $100 from oakley might get you one lens...

mksalazar said:
what brand of cycling glasses do you use?

I use a bottle, it is too easy to spill your drink with glasses, when riding the bike. :D

hey is there any brand of glasses out there that is good at NOT fogging up in the cold? I swear there have been times I've nearly killed myself bc of my shades fogging up... and I hate using those non fogging gels and creams, pain in the butt..

mksalazar said:
hey is there any brand of glasses out there that is good at NOT fogging up in the cold? I swear there have been times I've nearly killed myself bc of my shades fogging up... and I hate using those non fogging gels and creams, pain in the butt..

I hear ya!! Every time you stop for a **** they fog up in 3 seconds.

Sunglasses are the biggest rip-off in cycling equipment by so far, it's riduclous. I use cheapies.

I am long sited, and don't use my glasses for other sports, do you reckon it would be OK to take my usual glasses off and puts some cycling shades on insted?

Phil

I use the Oakley Pro M. I like the way it does not fold, fits nice and comfy on the face. I've had my pair, no problems, for 4 years. They've endured 2 cycling seasons, 2 years waterpark duty, yard work, and just about everything else. With no hinges, theres not anything to break, so no need for waranty, unless you sit on them or do something dumb. For cycling, they do really good, except that they fog up, but I imagine that the new lenses with the fog vents at the very top would solve that problem. Once you buy them, lenses are $25-75. You also dont look like an idiot away from the bike. A lot of pro's wear them, baseball, golf, cycling, probably more than that. Anyway, good glasses. Their also a lot cheaper now. I bought mine for $175, but now their $100 from Oakley.com

Im old fashioned. No glasses, no gloves. I dont need all that fancy shmanshy 'special cycling' gear.

LOL...Demo the first time you catch a June bug in the eye at 35 mph, you'll reevaluate what you consider to be fancy shmansy I'm thinkin'. :cool:

I use BBB shades. Can you get BBB gear in the US? I've used lots of their stuff and it's all good value and good quality from saddle bags, to pumps, to seatposts.

I need the prescription lenses or I can't see what I'm about to hit.

I've got a pair of Adidas Evil Eye as recommended by my optician. I like them because of the changeable lenses, plenty of adjustment to the temples and nose pads and sturdy construction. The temples can snap out of their hinges which eliminates the concern for broken hinges. They provide good coverage of the eyes such that there is no wind blowing in my eyes even at high downhill induced speeds. The prescription lenses detach from the sunglasses and resemble a pair of nez pierce glasses, which make the sunglass portion wearable if you were to switch between contact lenses and the prescription lenses. Also a benefit if you want to update your prescription without replacing the whole system.

Although the manufacturer says the lenses are anti-fog, I do get some fogging, but only a light haze, and not a blinding condition. It makes it seem like you are riding in a dream sequence.

I roll in Oakley Square Wire 2.0s. I too have to wear prescription glasses, but I bought the frames on sale and had my optometrist put in the same blue mirrored lenses except that they are my prescrition. He told me that all the technical terms oakley uses is just marketing, and that he can make anything they can. I didn't believe him at first, but his work speaks volumes. The Square Wire is a good compromise between a full wrap and a sporty wire frame. They work well on the bike, but look descent so I don't embarass myself when I'm driving around or going to work. Your sunglasses have to multitask when they are custom made -- can't afford pool glasses and bike glasses and driving glasses.

Oakleys have horrid blind spots where the temples join the frames bacuase they do not wrap around far anough. I wear Arnette Slides, which have a large wrap around, weigh almost nothing, fit snugly and have NO blind spot.

:eek: Oakleys are overpriced, well marketed fashion accessories.
:D Arnettes are reasonably priced well designed sports accessories.

Have a pair of Oakley M frames but recently bought a pair of Tifosi's for around $40 and they came with three pair of lenses. I like them and they are more comfortable and fit my face better than the Oakley's which were a gift but I know went for about $125.

I ride with Performance Radial with Rx insert. When the temperature is near of below freezing the air gets behind my regular glasses and my eyes tear so bad I cannot see. The Performance are a long way from perfect. With insert they are cheaper than some plain glasses. The latest version does not have adjustable temples. When the humidity is high or it is raining hard they will fog up between the lens and the insert. I have 2 pair so I do not have to change lenses.
Phil Lux

i got the evil eye's too. the headband option doesn't work well for the long eyelashed of us. i wish i had some ekynox instead.

Rudy Project Kerosenes. The best by far. Adjustable /replacable arms , adjustable/replacable nose piece, replacable lenses. Oh and they look pretty cool aswell.:D

I use a pair of cheapos now, but I want to get the new Oakley Thump, in about two years when the price comes down enough for me to afford a pair.

$500 is insane:mad: