What kind of headset for Giant Sedona

lohsnest

Oct 10, 2004
I'm getting a headset for a friend of mine who has a Giant Sedona. What type of headset should I be getting? It is a threadless, and that's all I know. I've been looking at Chris King, FSA, and Cane Creek. As I understand it, Cane Creek makes cupless, integrated headests, which take a specifically-designed steering tube. Is this the type I need for this bike or am I safer sticking with FSA? I've been looking at the Orbit X.... Any ideas out there?

lohsnest said:
I'm getting a headset for a friend of mine who has a Giant Sedona. What type of headset should I be getting? It is a threadless, and that's all I know. I've been looking at Chris King, FSA, and Cane Creek. As I understand it, Cane Creek makes cupless, integrated headests, which take a specifically-designed steering tube. Is this the type I need for this bike or am I safer sticking with FSA? I've been looking at the Orbit X.... Any ideas out there?
Need to know what size steerer tube is. 1" or 1 1/8" Ritchey makes a decent headset for the price also. Is that sedona a rigid fork? AS for cupped or cupless, I'm not sure, :confused: I didn't realize fork manufacturers were makeing special steer tubes to accomodate cane creek's headset's:confused:

Born2bahick said:
Need to know what size steerer tube is. 1" or 1 1/8" Ritchey makes a decent headset for the price also. Is that sedona a rigid fork? AS for cupped or cupless, I'm not sure, :confused: I didn't realize fork manufacturers were makeing special steer tubes to accomodate cane creek's headset's:confused:
It's a 1-1/8" steerer with mazzochi shock susp in front. As far as cupless, maybe the was a bit off. The description that I'm going by on the Cane Creek was this....

"IS" means “integrated system." The IS design uses no cups – the bearings rest inside the head tube of the bike's frame, which has been specifically designed to cradle the bearings and is manufactured to the Cane Creek IS worldwide standard. The IS-6 rolls on smooth stainless steel cartridge bearings for long lasting durability. Stack height: 8mm. Wt: 71g (1”), 81g (1 1/8”). Silver (SIL), Black (BLK). Note: The IS headset cannot be retrofitted to an existing bike with traditional headset cups, and is compatible only with specially machined head tubes manufactured to the Cane Creek IS worldwide standard. Other integrated designs do exist on the market, so contact Cane Creek with any compatibility questions.

Sorry for the confusion there.

lohsnest said:

By the way, the fork is a suspension fork (mazzochi) with a steerer tube in in 1-1/8". There was also some confusion as to what I meant by "cupless"
I may have incorrectly described what Cane Creek was talking about....This is from Cane Creek's description of their IS headsets.....

"IS" means “integrated system." The IS design uses no cups – the bearings rest inside the head tube of the bike's frame, which has been specifically designed to cradle the bearings and is manufactured to the Cane Creek IS worldwide standard. The IS-6 rolls on smooth stainless steel cartridge bearings for long lasting durability. Stack height: 8mm. Wt: 71g (1”), 81g (1 1/8”). Silver (SIL), Black (BLK). Note: The IS headset cannot be retrofitted to an existing bike with traditional headset cups, and is compatible only with specially machined head tubes manufactured to the Cane Creek IS worldwide standard. Other integrated designs do exist on the market, so contact Cane Creek with any compatibility questions.

:confused: Thanks for the help...

No the IS Headset will not work with the Sedona, I'm sorry I was confused about your question, I believe the IS Headset is Pressed into the headtube of bikes that were design to use this system. I believe some of the upper end Trek's use this system. But not the Sedona you are asking about! JUst a regular classic or standard headset is what you need