What kind of helmet do you perfer?

I personally ride with the Bell Ghisalloon my head. I love it. If you are going to buy a new helment that would be the one I would chose. It has very good ventelation and makes me feel fast. It's a great helment.:D

Just purchased a Giro Pneumo. I tried on every helmet I possible could, several times, just to make sure that I found one that fit. I have done the same thing with my motorcycle helmets for years, and never ride without full protective gear. On the other side of the coin, I never really wore a helmet on the bicycle until recently. After hearing about a young man who had taken a spill off of one of the local trails, and dying later at the hospital, I decided to buy a helmet. Be safe.

The Giro Atmos is awesome.

I got it as kind of a promotion present from my dad, and I've been LOVING it. It's like I'm hardly wearing a helmet, but it's well built and came with it's own case too :D

I had a generic Bell MTB helmet before, and I never realized how clunky it was, how hot my head got, and how uncomfrotable it was until I put on the Atmos!

I have my first Bell helmet from the early 70's. Remember the big ugly white thing. I then bought their black helmet that resembled a leather helmet. After that I had several diferent brands. I recently have a Bell something. It has the micro adjustment wheel in the back. Probably similar to the Bell Ghisalloon. Nice feature. Especially since I ride year long and wear differnent hats underneath in cold weather.

I live in Houston and can't find any Loiuis Garneau helmets in stores, only on eBay and Nashbar.com.

Also, what's the deal with visors on "sport" helmets. Does it provide any other fiuntion than keeping the sun out of your eyes?

BanditBoyDavid said:
I personally ride with the Bell Ghisalloon my head. I love it. If you are going to buy a new helment that would be the one I would chose. It has very good ventelation and makes me feel fast. It's a great helment.:D

Yup...ditto that! I`ve tried Bells, Giros and Limar helmets and the Ghisallo is an awesome lid. :eek:

Nope no new ones next year. Just got a cheap Bell from Performance this year. I wanted more ventilation.

One cool thing they do in my town of Windsor CT is sell helmets for the whole family for $10.00. It's a program that the Town Health Dept does. The helmets may not have the most ventilation (some do) but they are fitted properly. I won't get my son's helmet anywere else.

FYI...JensonUSA has its 04 Giro Atmos, which includes the helmet pod, on sale at a psychotically low price at the moment. ;)

Meatwad said:
I live in Houston and can't find any Loiuis Garneau helmets in stores, only on eBay and Nashbar.com.

Also, what's the deal with visors on "sport" helmets. Does it provide any other fiuntion than keeping the sun out of your eyes?
Uh...what other functions is it supposed to do?

I'm hoping to not *have* to buy a new helmet in '05. I just replaced the latest "victim" ('03 Giro Switchblade) with an '04 Xen. I couldn't find another Switchblade to fit my huge melon anyplace since the stock of them is drying up. Giro is my favored maker.

Kraig...

Giro Atmos. Had a Boreas previously but the sizes are not the same nowadays.
(Moved from M to L all due to Giro reshaping, nothing to do with my head.)
:rolleyes:
LightCycles said:
will you be buying a new helmet in 2005? What kind? Brand? Model?