What kind of lockring tool do I need

cabbagetom

Dec 7, 2009
Hello All,

You guys were so helpful the other day I have one other problem which has been nagging at me for some time but the LBS can't offer any help.:confused:

Basically I have a single speed set-up but one of the spokes on the drive side has broken. However, I have no idea how to unscrew the lockring as I don't know what kind of tool I need.

There is a picture in this link....
4267429218_ce70bb85ef.jpg

Any suggestions of what I need would be greatly appreciated...:(

Thanks,
Tom

cabbagetom said:
Hello All,

You guys were so helpful the other day I have one other problem which has been nagging at me for some time but the LBS can't offer any help.:confused:

Basically I have a single speed set-up but one of the spokes on the drive side has broken. However, I have no idea how to unscrew the lockring as I don't know what kind of tool I need.

There is a picture in this link....

Any suggestions of what I need would be greatly appreciated...:(

Thanks,
Tom

Probably something like one of these freewheel remover tools and a chain whip there is some instructions on this site. I'm surprised bike shop can't help. I would try another shop, probably not worth buying unless you doing a lot of maintenance.

I already have a Pedro's Vise Whip (which for anyone thinking of getting one is incredible) but i'd like to be able to take the lockring off on a frequent basis? I'm not sure if any of the tools on the above suggested page look quite right? Tom

cabbagetom said:
I already have a Pedro's Vise Whip (which for anyone thinking of getting one is incredible) but i'd like to be able to take the lockring off on a frequent basis? I'm not sure if any of the tools on the above suggested page look quite right? Tom
No guarantees, but try either a 2-prong (FR-2) or 4-prong (FR-3) SunTour Freewheel tool [or, equivalent that is made by someone other than Park] ... I presume the only difference is the additional two prongs on the latter.

What is the distance (OD of the core) between the slots on your Freewheel?