What kind of pants/tights?

trekchic

Jul 26, 2003
I am looking at winter gear. What kind of tights or pants do I need? Do you buy the unpadded tights and wear them over shorts?

Do I sence a name change? Why?

I like the tights with pads built in. Also, I bought the bootie covers for my shoes because they got real cold one ride. However, I haven't used them yet because it warmed way up again.

Originally posted by trekchic
I am looking at winter gear. What kind of tights or pants do I need? Do you buy the unpadded tights and wear them over shorts?
I use Pearl Izumi without the padding, there are 2 kinds, thin with no fuzzies on the inside and the fuzzy lined padding. Depending on how cold it is the non-fuzzy seems to work fine, but I live in the Houston Texas area where winters tend to be quite mild. I also have shoe covers, my feet get cold very easily and have used toe warmers every winter ride below 40F.

I live in New England...I use non-padded tights over my bike shorts, am buying windstopper tights for this season because I discovered I like winter riding. In really cold weather, I also wear rain pants (gortex) I got from www.performancebike.com. this just helps block the wind. I haven't purchased padded long tights because I wear layers anyway-so the shorts w/tights w/wind pants have served me well in below 32 degree weather.

For my feet: winter cycling socks by craft, windstopper booties. If you can't get the booties yet-plastic bag over your socks in your shoes does the trick.

For my head: windstopper cap under my helmet or a basic cycling cap for "in between" weather. World Cycling Productions and performance bike has under the helmet caps from various makers.

For my hands: I use cross country ski gloves

World Cycling Productions also has Exte Ondo windstopper jacket on clearance. I've been wearing that jacket for two years and swear by it!
Other considerations: arm warmers and leg warmers for "in between" weather.
I've built my winter riding wardrobe up over the years.

The key is wearing layers and having the last layer be wind proof or wind resistant.

another good website: Nashbar bike, they have stuff cheap and a lot of clearance items.

I have thin tights under sweats. Add silk long johns when it gets chillier. Leg warmers are good for whenever an extra layer's wanted.
I've learned to position the joints so that I'm blocking as little circulation as possible and it helps a lot.