what kind of rubber to wrap around some Mavic Aksiums?

mijome07

Jun 24, 2007
Hello everyone. I am Mike and I am new here. I recently purchased a 2007 Bianchi Bay City hybrid/fitness bike. It came with some Alex rims and 700x35 Kenda Kwest tires. I'm going to start with replacing the wheels and tires. I'll be using the bike to commute to work on city streets [no dirt, gravel, bike paths etc.] and weekend rides. I was told by the owner of the bike shop, where I purchased my bike, that I can put 700x28's on some Mavic Aksiums. I'm looking for a puncture resistant, fast, high psi, knob-less tire. Maybe I can get some 700x25's? Let me know what you think and/or know. I'll appreciate your comments and expertise.

mijome07 said:
Hello everyone. I am Mike and I am new here. I recently purchased a 2007 Bianchi Bay City hybrid/fitness bike. It came with some Alex rims and 700x35 Kenda Kwest tires. I'm going to start with replacing the wheels and tires. I'll be using the bike to commute to work on city streets [no dirt, gravel, bike paths etc.] and weekend rides. I was told by the owner of the bike shop, where I purchased my bike, that I can put 700x28's on some Mavic Aksiums. I'm looking for a puncture resistant, fast, high psi, knob-less tire. Maybe I can get some 700x25's? Let me know what you think and/or know. I'll appreciate your comments and expertise.
I'm unclear - why are you dissatisfied with the wheels you have? Are you unhappy with the wheels? The tire size? The actual tires?

Wheels: If you're using the bike for commuting, I can't imagine you'd notice any difference between Aksium wheels and the wheels you have now. Even if you're racing. Aksiums are nice wheels, but nothing special (I have some and like them, but they're not anything special).

Tire size: why do you want such a small tire? For commuting, the tires you have or at smallest, a 28 are ideal. 28's are even great for fast fitness riding (I've been riding 28's on my full-on road bike for years). You might notice a difference between a 25c tire and the 35's, but why would you want to go down as far as 25 for commuting? It will be much rougher and not appreciably faster than a 28 (might even be slower on rough roads) - and I'd bet you can put a 28 on your current wheels, if not, something in the low 30's which would be better for commuting than a 25. If there is any speed difference, it would not be at all meaninful for commuting.

As for puncture resistance, you can find varying degrees in any size tire you want.

What are you trying to accomplish - and why can't you accomplish it with your current wheels?

I think I'll purchase some Continental Tires along with Mavic Aksiums. Either the Grand Prix 4-Season or Ultra GatorSkins in 700x28. I can sell the Alex rims/Kenda Kwest tires. I bought them on 06-05-07, which makes them only 3 weeks old. I got the cheaper Bianchi hybrid to buy some time. I'm going to eventually upgrade all the components. Heck, I'll probably slap some dropbars on it too.

mijome07 said:
I think I'll purchase some Continental Tires along with Mavic Aksiums. Either the Grand Prix 4-Season or Ultra GatorSkins in 700x28. I can sell the Alex rims/Kenda Kwest tires. I bought them on 06-05-07, which makes them only 3 weeks old. I got the cheaper Bianchi hybrid to buy some time. I'm going to eventually upgrade all the components. Heck, I'll probably slap some dropbars on it too.
I repeat, why do you think you need the aksiums? Will the smaller tire not fit on your current wheel? Aksiums are fine wheels, and I believe a great wheel for the price, but they are not particularly light - and you wouldn't need a light wheel for commuting anyway. They are pretty "aero", but again, that is irrelevant for commuting or even fast recreational riding.

I repeat, I purchased a commuter/fitness bike. When I'm not commuting I would still leave the 4 lb. Kryptonite U-Lock on. I can really feel it when I'm climbing hills. So with that being said, I really don't care about the Aksiums being a little heavy. I've read some good reviews on those wheels. Hey Camilo, you said the Askiums are nice wheels, but nothing special and are fine wheels for the price, but no particularly light. Let me ask you, why do you need them? I got the feeling that you were trying to talk me out of buying them. Well, it didn't work.

mijome07 said:
I repeat, I purchased a commuter/fitness bike. When I'm not commuting I would still leave the 4 lb. Kryptonite U-Lock on. I can really feel it when I'm climbing hills. So with that being said, I really don't care about the Aksiums being a little heavy. I've read some good reviews on those wheels. Hey Camilo, you said the Askiums are nice wheels, but nothing special and are fine wheels for the price, but no particularly light. Let me ask you, why do you need them? I got the feeling that you were trying to talk me out of buying them. Well, it didn't work.
They came with the bike I bought. They work great - they seem to be very tough and rolling down hill, are very fast compared to more expensive wheels. But they are a good 300-500 grams heavier than "good" wheels, but also only about $200 which is a very good price, I think.

I'm sorry if I irritated you, but I am genuinely curious why you think the aksiums will be better for your commuting than the wheels you have on now. I guess I ws trying to talk you out of it, because I just couldn't think of why they'd work better for you and my advice would be to save your money. But it's your money and I hope you enjoy the new wheels!

I agree with Camilo. I haven't seen anything that would definitively suggest that the present wheel/tyre combo isn't suitable for the purpose. If the aim is to add some bling, then all comments are off.