What Kind of Shin/Knee Pads do you use?

I went to wal-mart and bought shinguards with detachable ankle guards,
that way if I don't want to do anyhing TOO heavy, I can still protect
my ankles from the DX's dreaded crank nubs.

--
Kyle_Destroyer
http://www.usenet.com

I use 661 Racelights.

--
UniDudeDX

'My Youtube Profile!' (http://youtube.com/profile?user=unidudedx)

Naomi wrote:
> trying to attach a picture of the tree, before it was circumsized.

http://www.usenet.com

661 4x4, seem pretty good, although I can still feel metal pedals pretty
bad through them.

--
SkierAlex
http://www.usenet.com

ive got the new 661 4x4 pads there rely good

the kh pads are only $10 more

--
Daviduni

bc uni kid
http://www.usenet.com

Smilymarco wrote:
> cant agree with that... guess you never had a very big bail with the 661
> and/or your KH. Theres a big difference.
>
> The quality and the protection from the KH is way better. With my 661 i
> always had bruises in the front and pedalbites in the back... that
> never happened with my KH since i ride with them.

Indeed.
My 661's had holes in them from hitting the pedal against it.
Don't have that with my KH's.

Peter M

--
Probailer2

~o"o~Unicycle for fun~o"o~

http://www.usenet.com

Eddbmxdude wrote:
> None, because Im not a wimp! :) ;)

I'd like to see a pic of your knackered shins.

I have a couple of pairs of pads that I use depending on what I'm
riding.
One of my best pairs is a combination of two modified pairs of pads.
First set are a pair of lovely gold Umbro shin pads with ankle
protectors, then I have a pair of Fox Knee/shins.
I found that the Fox knee/shins aren't long enough and I kept getting
myself below the pads. Also, they moved around quite a lot so I
modified them...
I cut the plastic of the shin pads down by about 2inches then
overlapped the backing material of the shin pads behind the knee/shins
and sewed them together. I now have pads that are big enough to cover
my whole lower leg/knee and don't move.:)

Here's a quick sketch.
[image:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m25/philjordan86/KneeShinPads.jpg]
I'll try and get a pic shortly.

--
UnicycleJuggler

*)--Noob-'O*
I will hereby be known as...

...*UniJugs*
http://www.usenet.com

I have tried both KH pads and 661's and I like the KH pads better but
the 661

will definitely do the job. Its just that the KH pads seem alot more
durable than

the 661s. After a while the 661s start ripping from so many pedal
bites. The KH

pads have a better velcro system and superior calf protection

If you have the money go with the KH pads.

--
XCcrev
http://www.usenet.com

I've not too long since converted to KH having previously just used
standard footie shinguards from my local sports shop (I'm such a pro ;)
). In the early days they saved my shins from plenty of pedal bites
but they were so piddly small that I took a few bites over and below
the guard and my knees felt a bit exposed.

The KH's have yet to take any pedal bites but I have absolute
confidence that when they do, I'll not notice. They're sooo roomy on
me. Length-wise they're spot on, but my legs are spindly even compared
to the rest of my slight frame and the KHs are very stiff all the way
from the knee to the ankle so there's a great deal of air between my
shin and the pad.
They've only had one serious test so far. I fell onto some rocks in
slippy conditions a couple of weeks back - it was quite a fall; one
second I'm going full pelt down hill the next I'm metres from the uni
and skidding along the ground. Thoroughly tore the palms of my gloves,
but, despite having pretty much landed fully on my left knee I felt
little more than a dull thud when the pad soaked up the impact.

As far as I'm concerned, they're well worth the investment already.
There's no way my footie guards would have saved me there.

--
mattsmith

Call out Gouranga and be happy!
http://www.usenet.com

I'll use 661 in about 12 hours, it's to be shipped tommorow. YAY.

--
hungry4uni

If only all bikes were cut in two
'1st
VIDEO'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eerMP7UiFMw)
'2nd
VIDEO'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0zDpfTqpMo)

I dont use any. My shins are completely FILLED with cuts, scars, and
bruises haha. Im just to lazy to put them on (and too tough to care;) )

--
peleschramm

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=peleproductions
unicycle for atheism.

peleschramm wrote:
> I dont use any. My shins are completely FILLED with cuts, scars, and
> bruises haha. Im just to lazy to put them on (and too tough to care;) )

You learnt all the tricks you know without shin guards? You may be
tough but isn't that a little bit stupid :p? I wouldn't have confidence
to land any tricks where your feet leave the pedals if it wasn't for my
leg guards.

--
SkierAlex

Terribly newbie question here. But when do most of the pedal bites occur
such that there is a need for shinguards?

I've only been unicycling for about 2 months so far (Managed to get
from point A to point B last night), and haven't had the chance
(fortunately) to use the shin guards I use, I am considering just not
wearing them next time I head out.

--
Pembar

Pembar wrote:
> Terribly newbie question here. But when do most of the pedal bites occur
> such that there is a need for shinguards?
>
> I've only been unicycling for about 2 months so far (Managed to get
> from point A to point B last night), and haven't had the chance
> (fortunately) to use the shin guards I use, I am considering just not
> wearing them next time I head out.

A lot of it depends on what you're doing. For just cruising round they
are probably not needed, but for street and flatland I'd say they're
quite important.

--
SkierAlex

in my thread lots of people said kh is better so why do so many ppl have
661?

--
Unisykolist

Sticky Tape fixes EVERYTHING :D
Street & Trials }-360-unispin-'O,
Nimbus Trials 20" ISIS
I juggle 3 balls and do lots of tricks. I also juggle 4 for 10 secs and
learning to juggle 5!
BLUE CAP

SkierAlex wrote:
> You learnt all the tricks you know without shin guards? You may be tough
> but isn't that a little bit stupid :p? I wouldn't have confidence to
> land any tricks where your feet leave the pedals if it wasn't for my
> leg guards.

You just have to get used to not wearing them, really. Its less of a
hassle and its better to learn to live with pain(in my opinion, though
that probably sounds a bit stupid).

--
peleschramm

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=peleproductions
unicycle for atheism.

peleschramm, dude im with you our shins probably look alot alike i just
get over it.
i would like to get some kh shin guards just to try them out

--
redlig

NO its not a unicycle, its a rolling crutch for a midget you retard

peleschramm wrote:
> I dont use any. My shins are completely FILLED with cuts, scars, and
> bruises haha. Im just to lazy to put them on (and too tough to care;) )

Now THAT is the difference between 16 and 42. At 16, the cuts and
bruises are irrelevant, and the effort to put on shin guards is
enormous. At 42, it's the other way around.

Pembar wrote:
> Terribly newbie question here. But when do most of the pedal bites occur
> such that there is a need for shinguards?

I didn't feel like I needed leg protection at first, either. When
you're learning to ride, you hardly ever hit your shins. When you start
free mounting (have you already?) you'll hit them a little. Then you'll
do jump mounts and rolling mounts and hit them still more. When you
start doing unispins and other tricks where you jump off the pedals,
you'll whack your shin every time you miss.

I use KH leg armor - and I've whacked my left shin so many times I've
started using a soccer shinguard under the left KH for more padding
when I'm working on something new.

|Filename: 0329081841.jpg |

tmoyer

tmoyer wrote:

> I didn't feel like I needed leg protection at first, either. When
> you're learning to ride, you hardly ever hit your shins. When you start
> free mounting (have you already?) you'll hit them a little. Then you'll
> do jump mounts and rolling mounts and hit them still more. When you
> start doing unispins and other tricks where you jump off the pedals,
> you'll whack your shin every time you miss.
>
> I use KH leg armor - and I've whacked my left shin so many times I've
> started using a soccer shinguard under the left KH for more padding
> when I'm working on something new.

Erm, Thanks. That's quite a scary picture. I've been free mounting, on
a semi-consistent basis (80% perhaps) but I do it anyway since I can't
be bothered to find a pole and it's good practice.

I've been using the soccer shinguard since that's what I have from my
soccer days. I think I'll take them off for now, will put them on when
I get a little more adventurous with regards to tricks. I kind of just
want to get from point A to point B more consistently at the moment.

--
Pembar

maestro8 wrote:
> What, no mention of Fox?
>
> Their 'North Shore leg guards'
> (http://www.bicyclebuys.com/item/0750147PART) (link to random
> distributor) have one design element that is much better than Roach /
> KH / 661, and that is the solid shell over the knee. That's my one
> gripe about the "other guys'" armor... two plastic strips don't provide
> much protection for my kneecap!

This is funny,

Ballistic Nylon, Condura, and thermo-formed padding for strength and
durability.

lol:D

--
UniKid2

Dude...

> I broke my pants too.

:rolleyes:

UniDudeDX wrote:
> If you Stalk me, I'll google Earth your ass.

These responses are all about full leg gear.

As I indicated earlier, I use 661's for muni but what about touring?
Who uses full leg gear, just knee pads, or nothing at all?

I'm going faster on the 36 than I've ever gone on the 29 and while it's
fun, an uncontrolled UPD even on a deserted road :eek:

Full leg armour sounds like too much unless I'm off road. And I can't
find suitable knee pads.

Any suggestions?

--
Unibugg