What kind of shoes are best?

Kittie

Mar 14, 2016
I know it's a silly question, but I'm serious. Are there better shoes as far as riding goes? I mean are there ones that aren't so hard on the feet when you are touching the petals? It might just be that my shoes are cloth sketchers and I can feel almost every inch of the pedal when I'm riding. Any thoughts?

The Rayburn Riding Shoe has the bespoke aesthetic of a hand-cobbled pair of heirloom chukkas.

There are cycling shoes specifically for biking. Personally, I love the Santic brand for riding my bike. It has a buckle design instead of laces which can get loose. It also has a pedal lock design which you can attach to the bike's pedal to maximise your riding experience.

When it comes to traction, it's great as well. I don't experience any slips to sliding when I use it even when I'm running or walking. It is also very lightweight and breathable. Some biking shoes that I have tried are not that comfortable to wear. Santic is one of the few brands that have comfort in line with durability and performance.

I hope this helps!

I use my regular rubber shoes and never bothered to buy biking shoes. Maybe it's not the look that matters to me because my purpose in riding is to enjoy aside from the health benefits. I know of some riders whose main objective is to socialize and I have to admit that I also do that socializing sometimes. And that's where I notice their shoes, looking expensive.

I have had a number of pairs of sketchers and LOVED them for biking as well as work. The brand has declined in quality though, so I stopped buying them a few years ago.

I typically buy fairly inexpensive shoes that are always for both the commute and work. In my experience, the softer type rubber sole seems to be best because even if it doesn't have tread specifically, the softness allows it to bend around the pedal, creating traction. What I don't like, is the harder plasticky soles because I can't feel the pedal.

The worst pair of shoes I ever wore for cycling were... none at all. :p Actually, I haven't done that since I was a kid but it sure was uncomfortable riding without any shoes on. Anything is better than that, but I've discovered over the years that the best things yet for bike riding are any type of shoe with a rubber, non-slip sole on it. I used to have my feet slip off the pedals from time to time and that was no fun either. Good and sturdy, that's my motto.

I agree, there are many brands of shoes that are advertised as good for athletes, but not all are right for cycling. As long as the sole grips on the pedal surface, and fits your foot snugly, it's going to work for your purpose. The only other criteria I personally stick to: does it have memory foam insole? Comfort is everything when it comes to your feet. I go with Skechers.

Personally, as a retired athlete I prefer sneakers. I prefer a quality brand. I want something stylish and comfortable. Before I would only by Adidas. However, I recently got a pair of sketchers with memory phone that I really like. I would recommend those to anyone!

For me, a brand does not matter. The sole of the shoe should improve traction while walking. This should automatically be a good choice when you ride the bike too. The inner lining of the shoe should be soft on the heels with some amount of cushion. When you tighten the laces, you should feel secure and firm. This is my personal choice. Of course, I'm no professional biker nor biking alone is my hobby.

Reactions: CaiBruhn