What kind of snacks are good for long rides?

J . Brian Chamb

Guest
When I first got into riding, I just threw some fruit into a backpack and munched on that during my
breaks. I never got into the power bars too much. I guess I didn't like paying $3.00 to eat what
tasted like sand. Any suggestions?

--Brian

J. Brian Chamberlin wrote:
> When I first got into riding, I just threw some fruit into a backpack and munched on that during
> my breaks. I never got into the power bars too much. I guess I didn't like paying $3.00 to eat
> what tasted like sand. Any suggestions?

I use fruit as well and keep a Snickers bar as a last resort. On occasion I bring a Power Bar or one
of thoose glue like things but I much prefer fruit only it's heavy and take up more space.

Regards

Bruno

"J. Brian Chamberlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> When I first got into riding, I just threw some fruit into a backpack and munched on that during
> my breaks. I never got into the power bars too much. I guess I didn't like paying $3.00 to eat
> what tasted like sand. Any suggestions?
>
> --Brian

In my opinion you can't beat a big pack of Walkers ready salted crisps and a Mars bar.
Carbohydrates, salt & sugar, washed down with plenty of water of course. Great for replenishing
muscle strength, and making you feel 100 times better.

A friend of mine eats Pop Tarts. He says if John Samstead can do, so can I.

TJ

J. Brian Chamberlin wrote:
> When I first got into riding, I just threw some fruit into a backpack and munched on that during
> my breaks. I never got into the power bars too much. I guess I didn't like paying $3.00 to eat
> what tasted like sand. Any suggestions?

Clif Bars tase great and are easily digested... Lots of folks like Pop-Tarts, I prefer Fig Newtons.

"J. Brian Chamberlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> When I first got into riding, I just threw some fruit into a backpack and munched on that during
> my breaks. I never got into the power bars too much. I guess I didn't like paying $3.00 to eat
> what tasted like sand. Any suggestions?
>
> --Brian

Turkey (or beef if you prefer) jerky is a nice savory/salty option. I also like GORP, yogurt covered
pretzels, old-school ($2/box) granola bars, and the occasional Reece's PB Cup.

For a quick burst of energy I still like to use the gels (Gu, PowerGel, and other variants) as well
as those Luna Bars. They are marketed to women but they seem to work fine for me and taste better
than your typical Power Bar. They aren't making me grow breasts or anything...

Matt

P&B sandwich...

--
- Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "J. Brian Chamberlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > When I first got into riding, I just threw some fruit into a backpack and munched on that during
> > my breaks. I never got into the power bars too much. I guess I didn't like paying $3.00 to eat
> > what tasted like sand. Any suggestions?
> >
> > --Brian
> >

> Turkey (or beef if you prefer) jerky is a nice savory/salty option. I also like GORP, yogurt
> covered pretzels, old-school ($2/box) granola
bars,
> and the occasional Reece's PB Cup.
>
> For a quick burst of energy I still like to use the gels (Gu, PowerGel,
and
> other variants) as well as those Luna Bars. They are marketed to women but they seem to work fine
> for me and taste better than your typical Power
Bar.
> They aren't making me grow breasts or anything...
>
> Matt

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 14:17:55 GMT, J. Brian Chamberlin <[email protected]> blathered:

>When I first got into riding, I just threw some fruit into a backpack and munched on that during my
>breaks. I never got into the power bars too much. I guess I didn't like paying $3.00 to eat what
>tasted like sand. Any suggestions?

Jelly babies. Tch, how many times?

Pete
----
http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

Pete Jones wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 14:17:55 GMT, J. Brian Chamberlin <[email protected]> blathered:
>

>> When I first got into riding, I just threw some fruit into a backpack and munched on that during
>> my breaks. I never got into the power bars too much. I guess I didn't like paying $3.00 to eat
>> what tasted like sand. Any suggestions?

Gabrielle had some really yummy trail mix that she got at Rosauers and augmented with extra goodies.
Me... I"m partial to PBJ's, trail mix and the occasioanl cliff bar.

Penny

"TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> A friend of mine eats Pop Tarts. He says if John Samstead can do, so can
I.

> TJ

I got a crazy friend who eats Pop Tarts, too! Small world, eh?

One thing I've seen cause problems was marshmallows. One guys ate a bunch of them (while extolling
their virtues)and got a terrible stomach ache and then bonked. Probably too much sugar at once.

Matt

>I never got into the power bars too much. I guess I didn't like paying $3.00 to eat what tasted
>like sand. Any suggestions?

I like PowerBar "Dipped Harvest" variety... especially the banana yogurt.
mmm. It's easier to get down than anything with chocolate or peanut butter. I'll take a PowerGel or
GU when I start to feel my efforts sag.

-John Morgan

J. Brian Chamberlin wrote:

>When I first got into riding, I just threw some fruit into a backpack and munched on that during my
>breaks. I never got into the power bars too much. I guess I didn't like paying $3.00 to eat what
>tasted like sand. Any suggestions?
>
>--Brian

Shop elsewhere, Powerbars should cost that much.

Clif bars are not to bad and sell for a buck per at grocery stores.

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > A friend of mine eats Pop Tarts. He says if John Samstead can do, so
can
> I.
> >
> > TJ
> >

> I got a crazy friend who eats Pop Tarts, too! Small world, eh?
>
> One thing I've seen cause problems was marshmallows. One guys ate a bunch
of
> them (while extolling their virtues)and got a terrible stomach ache and
then
> bonked. Probably too much sugar at once.
>
> Matt

It wasn't the same friend was it? LMAO

TJ

"John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Urdra.1614$qc5.1404@fed1read06...
> >I never got into the power bars too much. I guess I didn't like paying $3.00 to eat what tasted
> >like sand. Any suggestions?
>
> I like PowerBar "Dipped Harvest" variety... especially the banana yogurt.
> mmm. It's easier to get down than anything with chocolate or peanut
butter.
> I'll take a PowerGel or GU when I start to feel my efforts sag.
>
> -John Morgan

We bought some PowerGel recently and there is a fair amount of caffine in there. I'm not sure if I
like that at all. No wonder they say to down it every 30-45 minutes, have to keep the buzz going
once you start :(
--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

> When I first got into riding, I just threw some fruit into a backpack and munched on that during
> my breaks. I never got into the power bars too much. I guess I didn't like paying $3.00 to eat
> what tasted like sand. Any suggestions?
>
> --Brian

I go with Tigers Milk bars .50 a piece...I buy a box of 24 for $12.00 and lasts me a good
month or so.

"J. Brian Chamberlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> When I first got into riding, I just threw some fruit into a backpack and munched on that during
> my breaks. I never got into the power bars too much. I guess I didn't like paying $3.00 to eat
> what tasted like sand. Any suggestions?
>
> --Brian

Don't think what you eat is as important as what you drink. A decent isotonic drink will do, but the
best of all is a bottle of Moet

Twohat (because two heads are better than one)

"Craig Brossman band.net>" <craigbrossman@star<nospam> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Urdra.1614$qc5.1404@fed1read06...
> > >I never got into the power bars too much. I guess I didn't like paying $3.00 to eat what tasted
> > >like sand. Any suggestions?
> >
> > I like PowerBar "Dipped Harvest" variety... especially the banana
yogurt.
> > mmm. It's easier to get down than anything with chocolate or peanut
> butter.
> > I'll take a PowerGel or GU when I start to feel my efforts sag.
> >
> > -John Morgan
> >

> We bought some PowerGel recently and there is a fair amount of caffine in there. I'm not sure if I
> like that at all. No wonder they say to down it every 30-45 minutes, have to keep the buzz going
> once you start :(
> --
> Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

They make both caffeinated and non. Maybe you'd prefer the non? I usually bring one of each (or more
if the mileage is up there).

Matt (I hate it when I forget and eat a caffeinated one on an evening ride!)