What kind of snacks are good for long rides?

Snack yes but try pasta frist about 1 to 2 hours before riding.

Fire up MTB 03

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 14:17:55 +0000, J.Bria did issue forth:

> When I first got into riding, I just threw some fruit into a backpack and munched on that during
> my breaks. I never got into the power bars too much. I guess I didn't like paying $3.00 to eat
> what tasted like sand. Any suggestions?

Bananananananas are great for energy, but don't seem to like being stuffed into a 'bak.

Fig rolls are great, jelly babies are even better. Last weekend I discovered breakfast bars, banana
flavour. They were fantastic.

J. Brian Chamberlin <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> When I first got into riding, I just threw some fruit into a backpack and munched on that during
> my breaks. I never got into the power bars too much. I guess I didn't like paying $3.00 to eat
> what tasted like sand. Any suggestions?
>
> --Brian

Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstacy and alcohol... c-c-c-c-c-coCAINE!

/s

"J. Brian Chamberlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> When I first got into riding, I just threw some fruit into a backpack and munched on that during
> my breaks. I never got into the power bars too much. I guess I didn't like paying $3.00 to eat
> what tasted like sand. Any suggestions?
>
> --Brian

GOOD BISCUIT

1-1/2 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup all purpose flour
4/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
5/4 cup RAW sugar (not white refined sugar) I use Turbinado
6/4 cup wheat germ
7/2 teaspoon baking powder 1 teaspoon cinnamon
8/2 teaspoon salt 2 eggs
9/3 cup corn, safflower, or light olive oil. I use corn oil.
10/4 cup molasses (or equivalent mix of molasses and honey) 1 tablespoon finely grated orange peel.
I skip this. 1 teaspoon vanilla 1+ cup orange juice 1 cup chopped dried figs (or 1.5 cups total
dried fruit)
11/2 cup golden raisins
12/2 cup chopped almonds (or other nuts)

Combine flours, sugar, wheat germ, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. In smaller bowl, blend eggs,
honey, molasses, orange peel, vanilla, and orange juice with wire whip. Add liquid to dry
ingredients; whip until smooth. Add figs, raisins, and almonds.

Spread in a buttered 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees F oven for 25 minutes, until it
tests done.

It doesn't matter which dried fruits you use as long as you keep the volumes the same

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

J. Brian Chamberlin <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> When I first got into riding, I just threw some fruit into a backpack and munched on that during
> my breaks. I never got into the power bars too much. I guess I didn't like paying $3.00 to eat
> what tasted like sand. Any suggestions?

Pop Tarts.

JD

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> those Luna Bars. They are marketed to women but they seem to work fine for me and taste better
> than your typical Power Bar. They aren't making me grow breasts or anything...

...yet.

JD

"Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Pete Jones wrote:
> > On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 14:17:55 GMT, J. Brian Chamberlin <[email protected]> blathered:
> >

> >> When I first got into riding, I just threw some fruit into a backpack and munched on that
> >> during my breaks. I never got into the power bars too much. I guess I didn't like paying $3.00
> >> to eat what tasted like sand. Any suggestions?
> >

> Gabrielle had some really yummy trail mix that she got at Rosauers and augmented with extra
> goodies.

Hemo D Magnificent had a custom mix of GORP on our Southern UT trip that was amazingly good. He
bought individual indgredients at Trader Joe's and popped them into a big ziplock bag and shook.

JD

> "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > those Luna Bars. They are marketed to women but they seem to work fine for me and taste better
> > than your typical Power
Bar.
> > They aren't making me grow breasts or anything...
>
> ...yet.
>
> JD

If they do The Mrs. might be psyched if I could take over some late-night feedings!

Matt (and I'd never get out of the house!)

Peanut M&Ms and Fig Newtons.

[email protected] (supabonbon) wrote

> Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstacy and alcohol... c-c-c-c-c-coCAINE!

You sharing, Gordo? We'll be meeting Jimbo and Carla at the bike show Saturday.

CC

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 07:17:55 -0700, J. Brian Chamberlin wrote:

> When I first got into riding, I just threw some fruit into a backpack and munched on that during
> my breaks. I never got into the power bars too much. I guess I didn't like paying $3.00 to eat
> what tasted like sand. Any suggestions?

Power bars are too much work to chew.

gorp: combo of home-dried apples, cherries, plums & bananas + almonds + some form of small bits of
chocolate. As Penny mentioned, I am also partial to Rosauer's "Glacier Trail" mix, which is peanuts,
white choco chips, craisins and something else I don't recall right off the bat.

Home-dried beef jerky, from free-range hormone- & antibiotic-free beef of course.

Then there's my home-made version of quaker fruit & oatmeal bars which pretty much kick ass.

Those unfortunately named life savers Cream Savers thingies are great for getting the saliva going.

Oh yeah, and pop-tarts, though they can get kinda crumbly.

gabrielle

> Any suggestions?

There have been a lot of good recommendations for trail food and energy boosters. I just tried a new
product today (PowerBar rep came in and shared some free samples) called PowerBar Energy Bites. It's
a baggie full of bite-sized snacks. Better tasting than any PowerBar I've ever had, and easy to eat
without even having to get off your bike. They aren't sticky, so you can throw a few in a jersey
pocket and eat them at your leisure.

I tried the "Chocolate Crisp" flavor.

-John Morgan

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > A friend of mine eats Pop Tarts. He says if John Samstead can do, so
can
> I.
> >
> > TJ
> >

> I got a crazy friend who eats Pop Tarts, too! Small world, eh?
>
> One thing I've seen cause problems was marshmallows. One guys ate a bunch
of
> them (while extolling their virtues)and got a terrible stomach ache and
then
> bonked. Probably too much sugar at once.
>
> Matt

Ehh, I left Sprite in my Camelbak overnight to try to get the plastic taste out of the water... Well
for the ride next morning, I forgot to switch it out for water. By the end of my 6 mile ride uphill,
I was extremely bloated! Didn't feel like missing my ride that day, and it tasted good anyway, until
I downed about 40 ounces of it. The ride back down was really hard, every little bump made me feel
miserable, and it felt like I couldn't burp it all up.

The OP related to a long ride. Most of your posts offer a short term fix for a routine ride.

Do you carry anything in your pack to give you a super feed that will keep you pedalling for the
rest of the day? Mike (I was once so exhausted I hid the bike and walked out- with an empty pack)

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 03:23:48 -0700, Taywood wrote:

> The OP related to a long ride. Most of your posts offer a short term fix for a routine ride.
>
> Do you carry anything in your pack to give you a super feed that will keep you pedalling for the
> rest of the day? Mike (I was once so exhausted I hid the bike and walked out- with an empty pack)

Eat early, eat often.

gabrielle

[email protected] (Corvus Corvax) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Peanut M&Ms and Fig Newtons.
>
> [email protected] (supabonbon) wrote
> >
> > Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstacy and alcohol... c-c-c-c-c-coCAINE!
>
> You sharing, Gordo? We'll be meeting Jimbo and Carla at the bike show Saturday.
>
> CC

THIS Saturday? Effin' A! I need a clone I can hot-synch with! That probably didn't sound good.
Anyhoo: I'm going to be riding a century in NJ Saturday. In the rain. With my buddies who must have
been juicing all winter because they're grinding me down to a nub. Yay. /s

"Taywood" <[email protected]> wrote

> The OP related to a long ride. Most of your posts offer a short term fix for a routine ride.

Uh, except for quantity, what's the difference?

Of course, on a real long ride, I stop at a deli and get a Genoa Salami and Swiss Cheese sandwich,
with mustard, mayonnaise, lettuce and tomato. And a big can of Foster's Lager.

CC