What kind of snacks are good for long rides?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by J . Brian Chamb, Apr 28, 2003.

  1. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    "TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:3ead6c65$0$19040

    > It wasn't the same friend was it? LMAO
    >
    > TJ

    Seems likely. From your 'hood.

    Matt (that was the intended humor element of my post)

  2. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

  3. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    Snack yes but try pasta frist about 1 to 2 hours before riding.

    Fire up MTB 03

  4. On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 14:17:55 +0000, J.Bria did issue forth:

    > When I first got into riding, I just threw some fruit into a backpack and munched on that during
    > my breaks. I never got into the power bars too much. I guess I didn't like paying $3.00 to eat
    > what tasted like sand. Any suggestions?

    Bananananananas are great for energy, but don't seem to like being stuffed into a 'bak.

    Fig rolls are great, jelly babies are even better. Last weekend I discovered breakfast bars, banana
    flavour. They were fantastic.

  5. Supabonbon

    Supabonbon Guest

    J. Brian Chamberlin <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > When I first got into riding, I just threw some fruit into a backpack and munched on that during
    > my breaks. I never got into the power bars too much. I guess I didn't like paying $3.00 to eat
    > what tasted like sand. Any suggestions?
    >
    > --Brian

    Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstacy and alcohol... c-c-c-c-c-coCAINE!

    /s

  6. "J. Brian Chamberlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > When I first got into riding, I just threw some fruit into a backpack and munched on that during
    > my breaks. I never got into the power bars too much. I guess I didn't like paying $3.00 to eat
    > what tasted like sand. Any suggestions?
    >
    > --Brian

    GOOD BISCUIT

    1-1/2 cup whole wheat flour
    3/4 cup all purpose flour
    4/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
    5/4 cup RAW sugar (not white refined sugar) I use Turbinado
    6/4 cup wheat germ
    7/2 teaspoon baking powder 1 teaspoon cinnamon
    8/2 teaspoon salt 2 eggs
    9/3 cup corn, safflower, or light olive oil. I use corn oil.
    10/4 cup molasses (or equivalent mix of molasses and honey) 1 tablespoon finely grated orange peel.
    I skip this. 1 teaspoon vanilla 1+ cup orange juice 1 cup chopped dried figs (or 1.5 cups total
    dried fruit)
    11/2 cup golden raisins
    12/2 cup chopped almonds (or other nuts)

    Combine flours, sugar, wheat germ, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. In smaller bowl, blend eggs,
    honey, molasses, orange peel, vanilla, and orange juice with wire whip. Add liquid to dry
    ingredients; whip until smooth. Add figs, raisins, and almonds.

    Spread in a buttered 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees F oven for 25 minutes, until it
    tests done.

    It doesn't matter which dried fruits you use as long as you keep the volumes the same

    --
    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

  7. Jd

    Jd Guest

    J. Brian Chamberlin <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > When I first got into riding, I just threw some fruit into a backpack and munched on that during
    > my breaks. I never got into the power bars too much. I guess I didn't like paying $3.00 to eat
    > what tasted like sand. Any suggestions?

    Pop Tarts.

    JD

  8. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > those Luna Bars. They are marketed to women but they seem to work fine for me and taste better
    > than your typical Power Bar. They aren't making me grow breasts or anything...

    ...yet.

    JD

  9. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > A friend of mine eats Pop Tarts. He says if John Samstead can do, so can I.

    C'mon Teej, he said it was Mike Curiak, not Stamstad.

    JD knows that freak too

  10. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Pete Jones wrote:
    > > On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 14:17:55 GMT, J. Brian Chamberlin <[email protected]> blathered:
    > >

    > >> When I first got into riding, I just threw some fruit into a backpack and munched on that
    > >> during my breaks. I never got into the power bars too much. I guess I didn't like paying $3.00
    > >> to eat what tasted like sand. Any suggestions?
    > >

    > Gabrielle had some really yummy trail mix that she got at Rosauers and augmented with extra
    > goodies.

    Hemo D Magnificent had a custom mix of GORP on our Southern UT trip that was amazingly good. He
    bought individual indgredients at Trader Joe's and popped them into a big ziplock bag and shook.

    JD

  11. Tj

    Tj Guest

  12. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    > "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > those Luna Bars. They are marketed to women but they seem to work fine for me and taste better
    > > than your typical Power
    Bar.
    > > They aren't making me grow breasts or anything...
    >
    > ...yet.
    >
    > JD

    If they do The Mrs. might be psyched if I could take over some late-night feedings!

    Matt (and I'd never get out of the house!)

  13. Peanut M&Ms and Fig Newtons.

    [email protected] (supabonbon) wrote

    > Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstacy and alcohol... c-c-c-c-c-coCAINE!

    You sharing, Gordo? We'll be meeting Jimbo and Carla at the bike show Saturday.

    CC

  14. Gabrielle

    Gabrielle Guest

    On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 07:17:55 -0700, J. Brian Chamberlin wrote:

    > When I first got into riding, I just threw some fruit into a backpack and munched on that during
    > my breaks. I never got into the power bars too much. I guess I didn't like paying $3.00 to eat
    > what tasted like sand. Any suggestions?

    Power bars are too much work to chew.

    gorp: combo of home-dried apples, cherries, plums & bananas + almonds + some form of small bits of
    chocolate. As Penny mentioned, I am also partial to Rosauer's "Glacier Trail" mix, which is peanuts,
    white choco chips, craisins and something else I don't recall right off the bat.

    Home-dried beef jerky, from free-range hormone- & antibiotic-free beef of course.

    Then there's my home-made version of quaker fruit & oatmeal bars which pretty much kick ass.

    Those unfortunately named life savers Cream Savers thingies are great for getting the saliva going.

    Oh yeah, and pop-tarts, though they can get kinda crumbly.

    gabrielle

  15. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    > Any suggestions?

    There have been a lot of good recommendations for trail food and energy boosters. I just tried a new
    product today (PowerBar rep came in and shared some free samples) called PowerBar Energy Bites. It's
    a baggie full of bite-sized snacks. Better tasting than any PowerBar I've ever had, and easy to eat
    without even having to get off your bike. They aren't sticky, so you can throw a few in a jersey
    pocket and eat them at your leisure.

    I tried the "Chocolate Crisp" flavor.

    -John Morgan

  16. Lightweight

    Lightweight Guest

    "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > A friend of mine eats Pop Tarts. He says if John Samstead can do, so
    can
    > I.
    > >
    > > TJ
    > >

    > I got a crazy friend who eats Pop Tarts, too! Small world, eh?
    >
    > One thing I've seen cause problems was marshmallows. One guys ate a bunch
    of
    > them (while extolling their virtues)and got a terrible stomach ache and
    then
    > bonked. Probably too much sugar at once.
    >
    > Matt

    Ehh, I left Sprite in my Camelbak overnight to try to get the plastic taste out of the water... Well
    for the ride next morning, I forgot to switch it out for water. By the end of my 6 mile ride uphill,
    I was extremely bloated! Didn't feel like missing my ride that day, and it tasted good anyway, until
    I downed about 40 ounces of it. The ride back down was really hard, every little bump made me feel
    miserable, and it felt like I couldn't burp it all up.

  17. Taywood

    Taywood Guest

    The OP related to a long ride. Most of your posts offer a short term fix for a routine ride.

    Do you carry anything in your pack to give you a super feed that will keep you pedalling for the
    rest of the day? Mike (I was once so exhausted I hid the bike and walked out- with an empty pack)

  18. Gabrielle

    Gabrielle Guest

    On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 03:23:48 -0700, Taywood wrote:

    > The OP related to a long ride. Most of your posts offer a short term fix for a routine ride.
    >
    > Do you carry anything in your pack to give you a super feed that will keep you pedalling for the
    > rest of the day? Mike (I was once so exhausted I hid the bike and walked out- with an empty pack)

    Eat early, eat often.

    gabrielle

  19. Supabonbon

    Supabonbon Guest

    [email protected] (Corvus Corvax) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Peanut M&Ms and Fig Newtons.
    >
    > [email protected] (supabonbon) wrote
    > >
    > > Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstacy and alcohol... c-c-c-c-c-coCAINE!
    >
    > You sharing, Gordo? We'll be meeting Jimbo and Carla at the bike show Saturday.
    >
    > CC

    THIS Saturday? Effin' A! I need a clone I can hot-synch with! That probably didn't sound good.
    Anyhoo: I'm going to be riding a century in NJ Saturday. In the rain. With my buddies who must have
    been juicing all winter because they're grinding me down to a nub. Yay. /s

  20. "Taywood" <[email protected]> wrote

    > The OP related to a long ride. Most of your posts offer a short term fix for a routine ride.

    Uh, except for quantity, what's the difference?

    Of course, on a real long ride, I stop at a deli and get a Genoa Salami and Swiss Cheese sandwich,
    with mustard, mayonnaise, lettuce and tomato. And a big can of Foster's Lager.

    CC