What kind of training is this that I'm doing?

roger89

May 29, 2005
Hello all,

I'm just curious what say you about my training regime that I do almost everyday. OK, there's a hill nearby my house which is about 2.4 KM lengh. And yes it's quite steep. I climb with my MTB with the speed at about 8-12km/h. I always try to keep above 8kmh at the steepest part of the climb. When I finish the climb I'll usually go down and up again. About 3-4 times a day. I always try to beat my average time, that is 12 minutes uphill alone. Any idea is the training that I'm doing intervals? 'hill training'? lactate threshold? etc..? Any advices if I should change my training style? or move to other 'methods'?

Alright, thanks.

Hello all,

I'm just curious what say you about my training regime that I do almost everyday. OK, there's a hill nearby my house which is about 2.4 KM lengh. And yes it's quite steep. I climb with my MTB with the speed at about 8-12km/h. I always try to keep above 8kmh at the steepest part of the climb. When I finish the climb I'll usually go down and up again. About 3-4 times a day. I always try to beat my average time, that is 12 minutes uphill alone. Any idea is the training that I'm doing intervals? 'hill training'? lactate threshold? etc..? Any advices if I should change my training style? or move to other 'methods'?

Alright, thanks.

Yes, that would be a form of "intervals" or "hill-repeats." If it's ~12 minutes of working nearly as hard as you can go, then you're probably doing a lot to help improve your power at latate threshold. Keep it up.

Yes, that would be a form of "intervals" or "hill-repeats." If it's ~12 minutes of working nearly as hard as you can go, then you're probably doing a lot to help improve your power at latate threshold. Keep it up.

roger89 said:
Hello all,

Alright, thanks.
Obsessional?

roger89 said:
Hello all,

Alright, thanks.
Obsessional?

Dondare said:
Obsessional?
Vague...and hilarious...but pretty much to the point that such a training approach is overly focused and will likely lead to burn out from lack of variation and consistent attempts to train at high intensities.

Smartt/RST said:
Vague...and hilarious...but pretty much to the point that such a training approach is overly focused and will likely lead to burn out from lack of variation and consistent attempts to train at high intensities.
Absolutely. I was thinking of the workout itself rather than the lack of variation or relevance to any particular fitness goals. Good point.

I'm not sure you have gotten the input you were seeking. Your current workout is commonly referred to as LT repeats. I use the term LT repeats rather than hill repeats because hill repeats could mean anything from 30sec to 60min repeats (or even longer, depending on the length of your hill). What makes your intervals LT is the combination of duration and intensity. But, because your interval duration is at the low end of the duration range for LT intervals (10min-30min), and if you are doing these at or close to your max power for this duration (and it sounds like you are), you are also probably getting significant VO2MAX benefit. A pure VO2MAX interval would be 3-8 mins at a slightly higher intensity (average speed). You should definitely increase your sustainable power with this workout regimen, although I think you might benefit by either taking a day off after such a workout or riding at an easy recovery pace on alternate days.

As to the monotony of your workouts, I think that's a personal, psychological issue. I'm not sure your body cares if your workouts are mentally monotonous. There was a pretty well-known NFL running back in Chicago a while back (Walter Payton). He had a steep hill behind his house and his off-season workouts consisted of repeats up that hill. Pretty monotonous to most, but he had a pretty good career, breaking virtually every record for running backs. I wouldn't want to do your workouts day after day, but who am I to say what's attractive to you mentally? After all, you might not like my workouts. Same old lake (Lake Mead) and stunningly beautiful rock formations, long climbs and rolling terrain. I like it, but you might find it boring.

Same for Agassi and Lleyton Hewitt - both perform hill repeats/sprints.

What about making this hill repeat type of workout part of a general cross training workout? Would a football player, tennis player, etc. benefit more by doing hill repeats? Or would you suggest 10 mile moderate efforts several times per week?

I've posted ad nauseum about my training variety and I'm struggling to integrate my cycling into my current regimen, limiting my rides indoor training rides several times a week.

My concern is that I start to develop my "cycling engine" to the detriment of my "tennis engine" again. I've found that even 60 miles weekly hurts my performance in other activities.

But I have these expensive bikes that long for my attention ...

Any advice is appreciated.

thanks everyoen for reply.

I'll explain further more of my training rides.

I can say pretty much that most of my training aren't too long in duration. Usually 2 hours max. I guess it's more to intensity because when climbing up I 'puff' more than on flats.

At the end of the climb I don't sprint. Maybe I should add that to my ride.

I end my 12 minutes climb by just turning around(meaning go back down) at the end of the climb. I use the time when descending to allow my body to recover. Maybe 4-5 minutes to reach down. Not too sure.

I don't like long distance rides especially on flats because I don't like the 'easy' feeling. I prefer intensity so I wont be bored :). Something like that.

I ride that hill about 4 or 5 days a week. but my rest days aren't consistent most of the time~ Like rest in between workout days.

Anyway, what training regime should a person do to do well in climbing?