What kind of wattage increase have you experienced in a season?

HillyGoat

Sep 19, 2010
I would like to hear from others that have applied serious training effort over the course of a season with a Power Meter and what kind of wattage increases have been realized? While there are so many variables include approx how many hours a week you trained to achieve the increase (or decrease).

Originally Posted by HillyGoat .

I would like to hear from others that have applied serious training effort over the course of a season with a Power Meter and what kind of wattage increases have been realized? While there are so many variables include approx how many hours a week you trained to achieve the increase (or decrease).

I have seen increases from 5% to over 50% in riders I've coached over the years. Typical training hours vary from 6 to 15 per week. Pros will do more at times of course.

That is encouraging information Alex. I just got a powermeter a week ago; my goal this year is a 20% increase but did not know if that was realistic or not.

Originally Posted by HillyGoat .

That is encouraging information Alex. I just got a powermeter a week ago; my goal this year is a 20% increase but did not know if that was realistic or not.
I'm talking about year on year gains for riders that have not matured in a training sense.

A 10% variance in power during a season is pretty typical.

A lot depends on your training history and how fit you are when you start. And people respond to training stimulus at different rates, which also has a lot to do with genetic predisposition.

I think the best I saw was an FTP from 220W to 330W in one season.

Originally Posted by Alex Simmons .

I have seen increases from 5% to over 50% in riders I've coached over the years. Typical training hours vary from 6 to 15 per week. Pros will do more at times of course.
Powercranks.

*cough*

:)

Unlike Frank:
1. At least I have the (unadulterated) data to prove it.
2. I'm not falsely claiming why they improved that much.

This is my own year on year data:

and quarterly to show in season and season to season progress over 2 seasons:

Sample of one client's monthly progress over 3 months:

Another client, quarterly progress over 2 seasons:

... I see the humour well hath runneth dry down under.

I'll try harder too include subtle hints that it was a joke the next time.

I am 57, have been cycling 3 years and beginning my 2nd yr of racing. Prior to 3 years ago I had zero aerobic background, just never exercised at any time in my life. Maybe 20% or 50 watts may be too much to ask but that is my goal.

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

... I see the humour well hath runneth dry down under.

I'll try harder too include subtle hints that it was a joke the next time.

I knew it was a joke.
Response was for the benefit of others that may not.

2d year riding with a PT. FWIW, I have seen about a 20 percent jump in FTP in the course of three months. Although I did cycle last season, injury put a stop to it and I pretty much started over from close to scratch. This is not on massive volume, really: 2-3 hour to hour and a half training sessions during the week targeted at FTP, and then one longer ride on the weekend. I have finally come close to the "magic" 3w per kilo (magic for me, anyway), and am putting out normalized wattages for half an hour or more that I could not sustain for 20 minutes or less--in groups with very high motiviation.

The progress is undeniable-it's just that the effort has to be consistent, and the PT helps dial in the effort and measure fatigue. I strongly recommend reading the "it's killing me" thread. Tyson began at 20 min at 150w, and rose to 300. At seventy years old.

Now that the weather has shifted, I'm hoping for four days a week. (The weather this weekend is not, sadly, cooperative.).